• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite video game villain?

lexinonomous

Reaction score
Every video game seems to have a "bad guy." The villains play an essential role in making the story interesting and most of the time, full of adventure. Some villains are just plain silly, while others pull at your heart strings and are flat out cruel. Whatever the type, we can all relate to beating the heck out of a boss character.

Who is your favorite video game villain?

lamanlupa

Reaction score
The villain that comes to mind whenever I hear that question is Gray Fox, a character in Metal Gear Solid (The first Metal Gear videogame in the series). In the middle part of the game, there is a point there where you have to fight him face to face, mano a mano in combat. I love fighting him in that game. He was really stealthy and mobile and everything you'd expect from a ninja type character.

Honeymoon

Reaction score
I don't think a favorite video game villain list would be complete without the mention of Sephiroth from Final Fantasy. He's one of the very few villains that I actually like more than the heroes. Of course, he's terrible and all (I'll spare you from the spoilers - go play the Final Fantasy VII if you haven't to find out what he did), but there's just something about it that's just really cool.

Patrick

Reaction score
Shao Kahn easy. Don't get me wrong, I hate Mortal Kombat, but I think Shao Kahn is the most badass villain.

Kaitara

Reaction score
You know, I can't really think of a single villain that truly made me despise them. The great thing about video game villains is that many of them are fairly deep characters with their own (somewhat understandable) motives - you often end up even liking them as much as the heroes. If I had to list a villain I despise purely on gameplay it might be Smash Melee's Master Hand (dude is annoying and repetitive) or the one scaly boss in Zelda: Skyward Sword. Maaan did I hate that guy.

StolenKid

Reaction score
My favorite villain, hmmm... GLaDOS, I just love her, she makes me laugh everytime, her character is so well written, specially in Portal 2.

MLF

Reaction score
Gannon.

I still do his evil laugh from when you die in Zelda all time time to my wife. Although she doesn't get the reference (even though I've explained it to her 100 times), I now have her doing it in certain situations.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Dijkstra from the Witcher 3 for me. He's just so sarcastic, and Geralt would match it completely whenever they talked, to the point where Triss had to point out that she's risking her life in a mission, while Dijkstra and Geralt were just making one sarcastic comment after another. I like his quests, and I'm honestly annoyed by how his character was taken by the story, since it really made no sense during his last quest (barring spoilers). I think he's a likeable douche, but he also has his terrifying moments. I like it personally and would always take his route in the game (most of the time).

overcast

Reaction score
I think albert wesker is one good vilian. And your mind will remember him for years after playing the game. As you can see I loved resident evil just for that vilian. You can also find some of the vilians from the final fantasy are good too. So in between the resident evil and few others I'd be sticking with that vilian.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Gannon.

I still do his evil laugh from when you die in Zelda all time time to my wife. Although she doesn't get the reference (even though I've explained it to her 100 times), I now have her doing it in certain situations.
Oh god, not that ugly ...

I remember dying to him in the Ocarina of Time, over and over. You have to replay so much to reach him again, was frustrating.

My favorite villain is probably Vaas Montenegro. You know, that crazy guy from the Far Cry 3? He made the game even better than it was. A good game always requires a good villain and he sure was amazing. I think the voice acting was superb and he really freaked me out a few times. He is such a charismatic character and very memorable, along with being brutal and badass, of course.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think albert wesker is one good vilian. And your mind will remember him for years after playing the game. As you can see I loved resident evil just for that vilian. You can also find some of the vilians from the final fantasy are good too. So in between the resident evil and few others I'd be sticking with that vilian.
He became so hammy though in Resident Evil 5. From mannerisms to how he said his lines (COMPLETE... GLOBAL... SATURATION), to him stopping rocket propelled grenades heading his direction, he wasn't the same cool villain that used to drop by in the games. Then it takes Redfield 2 rocket launchers to the face while being inside an active volcano to finish him off. Way too hammy for my taste. Also remember the punching boulder thing? Yeah. That happened.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I don't think a favorite video game villain list would be complete without the mention of Sephiroth from Final Fantasy. He's one of the very few villains that I actually like more than the heroes. Of course, he's terrible and all (I'll spare you from the spoilers - go play the Final Fantasy VII if you haven't to find out what he did), but there's just something about it that's just really cool.
Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts 2 was badass as well. He was the bonus boss, which was basically harder than the final boss of the series. You also get a special keyblade if you beat him, which resembles a modern day key for a padlock, rather than the traditional 16th century keys that the keyblades are based on. He is also insanely tough to beat, with fast moves and devastating attacks that will leave you with 1 HP remaining if you are not quick enough to dodge his attacks. It was a fun boss fight.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I'd probably have to say Revolver Ocelot from the Metal Gear Solid series. For one thing, he is incredibly intelligent and skilled, and I admire that in a good villain. I can't say I appreciate villains who just send out henchman to do their dirty work. Ocelot was never afraid to get down and dirty, and often shows up to the scene himself to make sure things are done according to his plan.

There is also the fact that it's amazing how we get to see his character development across multiple games. We first get to know him as a fairly novice agent (in comparison to Big Boss) in MGS3 where he is our enemy. Then we move on to MGS5 where he actually becomes our comrade in battle, allowing us to be more familiarized with his motivations for later games. Then there is MGS1 where we see him turn villain again from the perspective of our new protagonist Solid Snake. And then MGS2 and MGS4 where he develops into Liquid Ocelot, and combination of two of the series' best villains.

Wow, typing this out really puts into perspective how convoluted this series is.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
My favorite villain, hmmm... GLaDOS, I just love her, she makes me laugh everytime, her character is so well written, specially in Portal 2.
I agree with this one :D GLaDOS was a lot of fun, although I like her in the original Portal more. But yeah, she has a lot of cunning jokes and is really entertaining.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I would say that I like Vaas Montenegro of FraCry, he is one of the villains that I have hated and loved in a way, his way to kill and have all with his paramilitary army.

nickdamon

Reaction score
Hmmm...
I'm not particularly a Batman fan, but I love the Joker for his dark/dry humor.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
Well, I must say that Far Cry series have had some pretty interesting characters. Vaas was one crazy mf. I liked Jack Krauser from Resident Evil, too. Well, most of RE 4 characters were good actually.

CBL28

Reaction score
My favorite villain? I'd have to say none other than one of the toughest, meanest bosses in old gaming: Frank Horrigan. Appearing in Fallout 2, this beast is no longer human, and is the definition of the ultimate boss. Having perfect stats and a plasma gun, he can mow down even the highest level players with ease. Some players prefer shooting him in the head until he is dead, though this option is very dangerous. I prefer asking 4 soldiers for help, activating 7 turrets, bringing a companion along, and using one of the most powerful weapons in the game. After a few turns, though we sustain heavy damage, we are able to kill the beast. Frank's personality (that of a Marine Corps Soldier and Secret Service Agent) gives him unique dialogue, and is overall just a menacing villain.

kenoobie

Reaction score
Dracula from Castlevania: SotN. Dracula as a boss is quite the push over compared to other area bosses and is rather disappointing even in the inverted castle. What made an impression on me is that He has an impressive voice over. The small cutover scene where he tells Alucard "What is a man?" in the beggining of the game.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether to consider him a villain or not, since most of the characters are villains, but I'd say Sweet Tooth from the Twisted Metal series. I thought the evolution of the character was great, from just a clown to a clown with a burning head. The character is just psychotic and twisted, and his antics make me love him even more (i.e. Killing Calypso in TM: Black).