• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

PS2 Favorite PlayStation 2 Game

TheViper

Reaction score
I'm looking into expanding my PS2 collection very soon. I bought my Slim PS2 a few years back but never amassed the amount of games I wanted. Therefore, I decided to see what you guys favorite PS2 game was in hopes of picking up some classic games to play.

Atlas_Hope

Reaction score
I think a few must have PS2 games would be Ratchet and Clank 2, Jak 2/3, Metal Gear Solid 3, Sly Cooper, Kingdom Hearts 1, DMC 3, God of War 2, Silent Hill 2, Okami, and Resident Evil 4.

Jojo83

Reaction score
The God of War series is pretty good. The anime games in the PS2 are very enjoyable especially the DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi series. The Final Fantasy series is definitely worth mentioning. I mean, there's just a lot of games for this system and you wouldn't get bored with the PS2 because of the sheer number of great games.

Ridge

Reaction score
Umm I think I can definitively say Persona 4. Almost every other one of my favorite PS2 games have a nostalgic feel to them for me now, so they may not be as good as I remember. But I have no nostalgic for Persona 4, I just feel like it was my favorite experience on the PS2.

BluBird

Reaction score
I have to go with GTA: San Andreas as my favorite PS2 game. It pushed the boundaries of the open world game in so many ways. It was also the first game where I tried to go for 100% completion. Sadly, I am still at 98.5% and don't know what else there is left to do. I hate that I missed one little thing!

Issho

Reaction score
There's a bunch I could mention given the vast library of games the ps2 has. But let's go with the few that I absolutely had a blast playing. The first one would be God Hand. If you like action beat 'em up, I fully recommend you try this one out. It should be able to keep you entertained for hours and is a pretty amazing game in itself. So there's that. Another would be the God of War franchise as well, they're pretty fun and can keep you hooked for hours if you like the genre.

There's also the three dbz budokai games. If you're fan of the show, you should give them a try if you haven't already. They're pretty fun fighting games, and each has its own charm.

Brady2121

Reaction score
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are by far two of my favorite. However, that may have something to do with me strange love affair with Disney and Final Fantasy. You also can't go wrong with Star Wars Battlefront 2, especially if your a Star Wars fan. :D

DMCampos

Reaction score
I think it really depends on what games you like to play.
My favorite games are the Yakuza ones (1 and 2) but I don't think they appeal to everybody. It's the same with both Persona games, since they are great games but with a limited appeal for more "mainstream" gamers.
Having said that, those are great games and you should have them in your collection. If you want mainstream games, try the GTA series, God of War or a platformer like the Sly Cooper series.

Qarnage

Reaction score
I forgot about Sly Cooper! I even replayed the HD collection on PS3 just last year. Very fun games.
I would, too, say that the Sly Cooper series are one of the best ones to ever hit the Playstation and I'm definitely going to be picking up the HD release sooner or later. I can't say that I think they're the best though, I've always been a huge fan of RPGs and my two (they're tied) favorite games for the PS2 are definitely Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy X.

Kingdom Hearts was one of the first games I ever bought by myself and the sequel was an even better game. Up to this date I don't think I've enjoyed something as much as KH2, ever. Final Fantasy X is the game that really got me into gaming, it's the first game I put over a 100 hours in. A combination of fantastic storytelling and strong gameplay is what makes these games special to me, these days it's really hard to find a game that has both.

GamerPerson

Reaction score
If you JRPGs, get Final Fantasy X. I know many people argue saying that it was a horrible game, (all because of ONE 3 minutes scene! Come on, you're going to condemn a game over that? Instead of where your main character is a certain pink haired character we know that entertain the thought of mass genocide?!) but it's really not. The story is well told and you learn little bits of each of the characters. You may be told this is one person's story, but in reality, it's all their stories comprised into one and how things eventually lead them to each other.

Squigly

Reaction score
Timesplitters 2 was pretty rad, shame that they stopped making new titles long ago :(

JayWifi

Reaction score
I have many favorite PS2 games but my favorite is most likely Dark Cloud. The game offers a interesting game mechanic where you can level up your weapons with attachments and goodies to turn them into higher tier weapons. You can literally bring a tiny dagger to the game's best weapon The 7th Heaven. It is also vastly underrated so give it a shot!

ducklord

Reaction score
It's hard picking one, but when I think that the only game I've finished four times is God of War 2... Well... You know..! :p

I also find I return again and again to Amplitude, Katamari Damacy and Rez from time to time, and I hateloved (yeah, it IS a word in this occasion) Shinobi's PS2 3D remake (but not its sequel, Kunoichi).

Jojo83

Reaction score
My ultimate favorite PS2 game would have to be Metal Geat Solid 3: Subsistence. That game had everything an MGS fan can ask for and even action/stealth fans for that matter. It had great graphics, amazing gameplay, great story, intense action, heart stopping stealth; I mean, just everything. I finished that game many times over, there's just a lot to unlock and to do in this game.

ducklord

Reaction score
Was that (Subsistence) the first, "pure" version, or the upgraded one that also had a 3D camera? I played a bit through the non-3D-camera version when it was first released, and the static isometric camera from years past felt too restrictive. I never played the 3d-fied version that was released later, and kept wondering up to today how much it affected its gameplay.

FosterTXT

Reaction score
One of my favorite PlayStation 2 games is Greg Hastings tournament paintball 2. I've been in to paintball ever since I was a young kid and Greg Hastings paintball 2 is definitely the most realistic paintball game on the PlayStation 2.

Thomas Hall

Reaction score
I have enjoyed the god of war series there are a lot of puzzles in god of war 1 and will be a bit of a challenge when playing it and a good game to time pass and the design of the game is real good. Tombraider Annivarsary is a good one with challenges and remake of the original Tombraider which came out in 1996 this one came out in June 2007 a good classic game to play. I liked the Dragonballz tenkaichi 3 as the game was really improved and was real easy to master the controls when playing the game and in the fight scenes. Grand theft auto 3 is a good one and vice city as it plays like Scarface the movie and kind of based on Tony montana character only there are differences in it and the Scarface world is yours is more like a what if game if Tony survived.

Thomas Hall

Reaction score
I have enjoyed the god of war series there are a lot of puzzles in god of war 1 and will be a bit of a challenge when playing it and a good game to time pass and the design of the game is real good. Tombraider Annivarsary is a good one with challenges and remake of the original Tombraider which came out in 1996 this one came out in June 2007 a good classic game to play. I liked the Dragonballz tenkaichi 3 as the game was really improved and was real easy to master the controls when playing the game and in the fight scenes. Grand theft auto 3 is a good one and vice city as it plays like Scarface the movie and kind of based on Tony montana character only there are differences in it and the Scarface world is yours is more like a what if game if Tony survived.

Jojo83

Reaction score
Was that (Subsistence) the first, "pure" version, or the upgraded one that also had a 3D camera? I played a bit through the non-3D-camera version when it was first released, and the static isometric camera from years past felt too restrictive. I never played the 3d-fied version that was released later, and kept wondering up to today how much it affected its gameplay.
The 3D camera that was introduced in Subsistence had an astounding effect to the MGS series as a whole. The gameplay was changed, as strategies and approach to the game needed to be changed because of the new gameplay possibilities made possible by the 3D camera, as opposed to fixed camera angles. I think that the change was for the better and improved the gameplay a lot: not being confined to a restrictive camera, being able to see/spot enemies farther ahead. Some reviewers likened it to being a whole new game just because of the new camera angle. It paved the way for the 3D camera to be used in MGS 4 and onwards.