• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite horror game?

luispas

Reaction score
Slender was the first one I ever played and that is still one of my favorites.
This is one of my favorites too, my brother forced me to played it (I'm masochist haha), the first one on the forest, and I did it, it was so scary, I just walked in circles for so many time until my lantern went off :(
Even tho I still love playing the game after that.
Another game that I love is Outlast

Neo

Reaction score
I absolutely love Resident Evil 7, The Last of Us, F.E.A.R. and soma. I had adrenaline rushes while playing these games, and damn, they did make me lose my sleep. Horror movies are lovely, but horror games are a whole different level. I also enjoyed playing Amnesia, Friday the 13th and a few others I played ages ago.

Moaz

Reaction score
Well, I like Resident evil and especially resident evil 7, It scares me, but most of the horror games are cancer and they are not even horror.

WarVet

Reaction score
I love to play a good horror game. It's a love-hate relationship because I love how creepy and scary they are but I hate them when they make me jump and I forget how to breathe, haha.

I played so many decent horror games... from Silent Hill franchise to Resident Evil's, to Metro and more. But the one that made me scare the most and is, therefore, my favorite is Outlast, 100%. That game is so messed up! it isn't scary, it is terrifying. I made the mistake of playing it without any lights for the first time - nope, never again. The plot is twisted, the environment is so well made, the music gives you a heart attack - can't ask more from a good horror game.

The one that I often hear getting mentioned and also saw people mentioning in this thread is Amnesia. How scary is that game? Compared to something like Outlast?

Amnesia employs the same elements of helplessness and not being able to fight back as well as music and environment to create a haunting experience. As far as story goes, you wake up in a castle full of monster without remembering nothing but your name and you have to unravel your past while escaping monsters and a mysterious shadow that kills anything in its path. Hands down the best horror game I ever played. I highly recommend it.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
What about Silent Hill? Have you tried playing any of the SH games? They are quite well developed games, too. Especially the old titles. SH 2 is probably one of the best titles from the series, although I liked all of them a lot.

I really like Silent Hill too (it's definitely on my favorites list), but I think Resident Evil has more attributes to be superior. I mean, Silent Hill is great, but Resident Evil has something else... I don't know, something deeper (if you know what I mean :sunglasses:).

Makef0rt

Reaction score
No,I did not try Silent Hill. As you suggest about it. I really likes to know how much it is good. It seems interesting reading your description.

Oh SH games are amazing. Your character is both protagonist and antagonist at times. Usually all the bad things about certain character are somehow shown in the game, be it the weird looking creatures, weird landscapes and what not. And being alone in a foggy city with the entire freak show is quite something. SH games are really worth checking out. My personal favorites are SH 2 and SH 4. Other titles are good as well, but these 2 really stood out for me

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Silent Hill. I even dream playing the game.
When the roads in front of me diverged, with one road leading to Racoon City and the other to Silent Hill, I chose the former. So I've been playing Resident Evil all my life, played most of the titles (I don't have the energy or effort to play the minor ones), so I never touched the Silent Hill series. How was it? I'm a huge fan of horror movies but for games it seems I only stick with Resident Evil.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I don't play horror games that much, but I remember I played two horror games at my friend's place on XBOX One. I played Outlast 2 and Visage just to see how the game looks like and I can say that both games are excellent. I don't know about other horror games but these two are probably are on top 10 of horror games, and I will recommend you to play at least once.
I saw gameplay for Outlast 2 and I don't think I liked it. Not the content or story, but the whole "found footage" style of storytelling. It makes me dizzy for some reason, especially when the camera bobs while you are walking. I don't know why game devs do that anyway. The brain adjusts your eyesight when moving so you see a steady view of whatever is in front of you. Trying to simulate walking in video games with your vision moving up and down is just stupid.

Jack_Dan

Reaction score
I saw gameplay for Outlast 2 and I don't think I liked it. Not the content or story, but the whole "found footage" style of storytelling. It makes me dizzy for some reason, especially when the camera bobs while you are walking. I don't know why game devs do that anyway. The brain adjusts your eyesight when moving so you see a steady view of whatever is in front of you. Trying to simulate walking in video games with your vision moving up and down is just stupid.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of horror games but I played those two games, and it was a good experience. I love playing FPS games only that's why I don't have that much experience in horror game generation. I still think it's an excellent game (Outlast 2) but you know we all have a different style of play, so our thinking will be different.

Wolf123rt

Reaction score
My favorite horror game is Outlast because the atmosphere is so creepy and combining that with all the jump scares it just scares the heck out of me. It also has a pretty decent story to it which not a lot of other horror games have.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
My favorite horror game is Outlast because the atmosphere is so creepy and combining that with all the jump scares it just scares the heck out of me. It also has a pretty decent story to it which not a lot of other horror games have.
Have you heard of the game Soma? I hear it's the same style of gameplay and it takes place underwater. I'm thinking of buying it this Steam sale because I have about $5 left on my wallet. It's similar to games like Insomnia and Outlast from what I've heard.

SashaS

Reaction score
This may seem like the "incorrect' answer, but Resident Evil 4 has and will always be my favorite horror game of all time. Playing it on a PS2, a console you can't expect that level of intricacy on, was just so magical. Its a gigantic game with a huge world and a lengthy storyline. Tons of different maps with horrifying enemies and bosses, an awesome progress system and a story that keeps you hooked. I just couldn't stop playing when I first got the game. Certain levels were really scary too.

I remember this one where you had to creep through this dark, abandoned lab with extremely limited armor and a small weapon with a torch and there were these virtually invincible monsters that would creep out of nowhere and absolutely destroy you if you weren't extremely skilled and careful. It was just such a thrilling and sprawling game. Something I wish I could play again, but unfortunately my PS2 kicked the dust a while ago.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider it a horror game per-say but the DOOM series is definitely chilling at times. I love the fact they manage to combine incredible action and storytelling with horror aspects, something that Outlast has been trying to get right for years.
Resident Evil also deserves a mention, really cool game!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
This may seem like the "incorrect' answer, but Resident Evil 4 has and will always be my favorite horror game of all time. Playing it on a PS2, a console you can't expect that level of intricacy on, was just so magical. Its a gigantic game with a huge world and a lengthy storyline. Tons of different maps with horrifying enemies and bosses, an awesome progress system and a story that keeps you hooked. I just couldn't stop playing when I first got the game. Certain levels were really scary too.

I remember this one where you had to creep through this dark, abandoned lab with extremely limited armor and a small weapon with a torch and there were these virtually invincible monsters that would creep out of nowhere and absolutely destroy you if you weren't extremely skilled and careful. It was just such a thrilling and sprawling game. Something I wish I could play again, but unfortunately my PS2 kicked the dust a while ago.
Playing with a controller sucks if it's a shooting game. Try not hitting Ashley with the sniper rifle when you're trying to free her. If it's on the PC, it's an easy quest. But on the PS2, it's a gut-wrenching task because you really can't be as accurate as you want with the analog stick. That's the fear factor in RE4. Lots of stuff to shoot, but since your aim is so slow, you get pressured into shooting.

Lindsy90

Reaction score
My favorite horror game is Resident Evil 2 most of the games story wasn't told with dialog. It was told with visuals alone. The further you got into the game, the more destcruction you had seen with the outbreack. You saw the destruction of zombies as they attacked laying their on the ground. The chopper that fell through the walls of the police station.
The further you got, the more brutal deaths you saw due to the different types of enemies. A guy chewed up by crows, other with ther heads hacked off by lickers, impaled people due to William birkin.
If that wasn't enough, the musiv did nothing but mess with your mind. In the library the song has a loud 'crash' at one point and you're afraid to move just because you think something had just fallen into the room somewhere.

WarVet

Reaction score
My favorite horror game is Resident Evil 2 most of the games story wasn't told with dialog. It was told with visuals alone. The further you got into the game, the more destcruction you had seen with the outbreack. You saw the destruction of zombies as they attacked laying their on the ground. The chopper that fell through the walls of the police station.
The further you got, the more brutal deaths you saw due to the different types of enemies. A guy chewed up by crows, other with ther heads hacked off by lickers, impaled people due to William birkin.
If that wasn't enough, the musiv did nothing but mess with your mind. In the library the song has a loud 'crash' at one point and you're afraid to move just because you think something had just fallen into the room somewhere.

Are you familiar with the Dino Crisis series? It has been called RE with dinosaurs and for a good reason. It employs the same psychological elements that the Resident Evil games employ but only with dinosaurs instead of zombies. If you like a good old-fashioned horror game you'll enjoy it.

Lexi

Reaction score
My favorite is Silent Hill, I really enjoyed 1 - 3. The rest are ok, but those first three were really creepy. The general feeling of the game, the alarm, the monsters. I simply loved it, scared the crap out of me, but I love them. F.E.A.R. is also a great game and creepy. I've yet to play Outlast, I'll check it out.

Okaviator

Reaction score
I've always been a mobile gamer at heart! My favourite horror game would have to be the Five Nights At Freddy's series. I've even gone so far as to beat every single one of them. Something that I don't do with many other horror games.

ballyhara

Reaction score
Not a fan of horror games but, I would go with Silent Hill or Resident Evil. I can't help to relate them to the movies, so if you are a fan of the movies obviously you are somehow attracted to these games. The best things about those are the soundtracks. Anyway, as I said never have played many horror games, but these ones are really entertaining.