• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite horror game?

Referal

Reaction score
My favorite horror game of the year so far would have to be Resident Evil 7. The game is very similar to Outlast when it comes to the game play, but i honestly didn't like outlast 2's story and delivery. it seemed to me that Outlast 2's writing was a bit lazy at the ending. The only moments that I've enjoyed the game-play of outlast was the flashbacks, getting chased by the monster in the school hallways at the dark mysterious night. I like RE7 because how short and sweet it is. Not only you have to run away from the Killer's and monster, but you get to fight them back as well!
We both wrote a post exactly 1 min to each other thats a world record

Fckoatmeal

Reaction score
I recently played a game that was "free with gold" on xbox one called "Layers of fear" to my knowledge you can't lose the game but it is a very creepy, odd and trippy well worth a look. I also enjoyed the demo for RE: 7 but have yet to commit and buy.

Andrei Birla Marian

Reaction score
Amnesia: The Dark Descent. When I saw the credits roll on Amnesia, it felt like I'd earned the kind of t-shirt you buy at the end of a rollercoaster. "I survived The Dark Descent." I'm still not sure how I managed to make it through the infamous water sequence without screaming. Getting to the end is a harrowing journey, a slow-moving exploration into a perturbed mansion with many secrets to hide. To survive, you must hide. To hide, you must remain in the dark.... but the dark makes you go mad. That means that to avoid dying, you must flirt with death for as long as you can. Devilish.

ulfhedin

Reaction score
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. This game was horror at its best, especially when you have no weapons in the beginning. I think this is why Slender is such a good horror game as well. You can't just shoot your way out of the situation. I hope that more horror games take on the "no weapons" idea and concentrate on fear. Not just fear, but fear and the unknown.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Have you ever heard of Scratches? It's a really old adventure game in first person (similar to Myst), where you have to explore a old house to solve a mistery about the disappearance of two persons. It have a lot of atmosphere (inspired by Lovecraft) and few scary moments (the less, the better. So they are more effective). Pretty good game, really liked it - even if the reviews weren't always positive.
Sadly I think it was removed from Steam, which is really a shame...

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Outlast all the way. It was pretty short but definitely a terrifying experience for me. It was only when I found Pewdiepie's outlast series that I've learned to look at the game at a humorous way, but back then I could barely play it with the lights out. The concept of just evading the enemies was great, and it seemed realistic as I think a normal human being would've also just hid themselves in the dark if they were in the same position as the protagonist.

StolenKid

Reaction score
Ok, the only game that made me scream was Outlast, I had a really good time with that game, also, it didn't made me scream but god, the story is gold, Silent Hill 2, very original story, characters and oh my god, the soundtrack is on point.

Cendrillon

Reaction score
I appreciate a good game that relies on actual horror than to cheap tactics like 100% jumpscares. Once in a while it's good to set the mood, but you grow weary after being yelled at for most of the gameplay.
So I'll agree with almost everyone and bring forward Silent Hill (Silent Hill 2 & 3 to be more specific.) Honorable mention to Resident Evil 3 as well, for the BEST use of a jumpscare I remember in a survival horror game. Seriously, I almost entered cardiac arrest after this.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
I haven't played many horror games, but Amnesia is one of the best I've tried so far. I like the it because it is mysterious and creepy, not a typical horror game, and it has some puzzles in it to solve. It requires some thinking which I like. Also, I don't know if that's a horror game but I like Dead by Daylight, the idea of it is great. But haven't tried it out yet since my PC is too weak.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Resident Evil 4 was great. Too bad the things that made it great (3rd person over the shoulder perspective, shooting game style, lesser puzzles) were made even more prominent in the next few sequels of this franchise. I logged in quite a few hours with RE4, but I only played 5 once, and I couldn't even finish the 6th. I played the RE7 a few months back because I heard they were going back to their roots, and I gotta say I was pretty impressed. I was not a fan of the first person perspective, but the puzzles and survival horror was back, and that you don't simply shoot everything around you until you reach the end.

overcast

Reaction score
I think I played "Silent HIll" enough to call it addiction. You can also say fear and resident evil were my favorite. Apart from that there was "alone in the dark" which I played. But I'd say "fear" and "fatal frame" are more better on that part. So that's my favorite list so far. I may look at new games soon if I get time.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I can't say I have many horror games under my belt, but the best horror game I've played in recent memory was Amnesia: The Dark Descent. With headphones on and sitting in a dark room, I never imagined that a game or anything on my computer screen could make me that terrified. There were several times I had to pause the game just to regain my composure.

As a side note, it's amazing how Fallout 3 can often unintentionally turn into a horror game. Exploring old factories at night with ghouls running around can get quite spooky.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I like the resident evil saga, all of them have a lot of things to make you scream every time you are gaming, the last one is very good for it's story. Other game that I like very much is the "Saw, flesh and blood" for the PlayStation 3, it is an horror puzzle game that you have to use all your abilities to save the people in the game and to save yourself, the story is magnificent and it make you terrified all the game.

AnthonyB

Reaction score
I don't really play a lot of horror games. I a giat... pussy. I can say the game that scared me to play.Well not really scared, but shocked me. It was Max Payne. It was a thriller, I believe. A lot of parts on that game just creeped me out. It was all dark and eerie. Something weird was the sound of the main character eating pain killers always made me hungry.

Javo1096

Reaction score
I really liked playing Amnesia because it gave me the biggest jumpscares to the point I needed to play it on the day to finally finish it :tongueclosed:.

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
Until Dawn and Walking Dead. They are similar in the way that the game depends on your choices and because of that you can get different scenarios. Right now I'm thinking about buying the Friday the 13th game. I've seen a lot of gameplays on YouTube and that looks like a pretty awesome horror game.

timstargraal

Reaction score
I’m personally not a very big fan of horror games but I have played a few of them. Of the few I’ve played, by far, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. Though, this isn’t like any of the Resident Evil games, I still found this the most intriguing and action like horror game which appeals to me more than any other horror game which I played as well as still scaring me.

thart

Reaction score
Amnesia is one of the scariest game i've ever played because of how helpless your character is. but after playing for a while, it gets tedious and annoying. i want to fight back, to burn the castle down or blow the monster up. it feels like my hands are tied because the characteri'm playing is more scared than i am.

WarVet

Reaction score
Amnesia is one of the scariest game i've ever played because of how helpless your character is. but after playing for a while, it gets tedious and annoying. i want to fight back, to burn the castle down or blow the monster up. it feels like my hands are tied because the characteri'm playing is more scared than i am.

Ohhh Amnesia! i love this game. It's definitely the game that has done a better job of scaring me. I used to have nightmares about it. More than the helplessness caused but not being able to fight the monsters what made it so great was the music, the scenarios, and the overall phychologic terror elements that the game employs to mess up your mind.