• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite horror game?

paigeswan

Reaction score
Halloween is just around the corner! Let's celebrate by discussing our favorite terrifying video games! Slender was the first one I ever played and that is still one of my favorites. It scared me a lot when I was younger. I also really like Alice: Madness Returns, which is sort of a sequel to Alice in Wonderland. It is pretty creepy, but it's addicting. Silent Hill is a great one, too. What are you guys' favorites?

Nemesysbr

Reaction score
Probably Outlast. I've played this with friends so I wouldn't scream like a little girl everytime I play, and it turns out instead of one grow man crying, there were 7. My strategy wasn't a success, but it certainly created some great memories.

Patrick

Reaction score
I have to introduce some conditions before I share, but Dying Light is my favorite. Conditions are as follows
  • Has to be very dark outside and all lights in your home are turned off
  • You have to have your headphones on as high as you can get them.
  • Turn your HUD off in game
  • Wait for night time in game
My best friend will never let me live down some of the things I did that night.

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
The first F.E.A.R is definitely my favorite horror game. 2nd one is good too. People said 3 is garbage, so I'll never touch that one.

Probably Outlast. I've played this with friends so I wouldn't scream like a little girl everytime I play, and it turns out instead of one grow man crying, there were 7. My strategy wasn't a success, but it certainly created some great memories.

I hear good things about Outlast all the time, but I'm probably never going to play it. While people praise it, I'm not a huge fan of the whole "non-combat" thing.

BulletBiter

Reaction score
I haven't played many horror games in my lifetime, but if I had to pick a winner, it would be SOMA. The setting was excellent and the story had its own cool twists. I especially loved the way the game poked at ethical issues that arise from the story plot. It didn't have many cliche moments you'd find in other games of the same genre, but it was weak on the ones it had.

guruproto

Reaction score
Mine would be Amnesia and Penumbra. Triple A horror games are a rarity, but the indie community has proven to be an excellent source of true chills-down-my-spine horror games, and Penumbra is an excellent example. Instead of relying on gore fests and high end graphics, Penumbra makes you shiver in the dark because of an excellent soundtrack, frightening environment, and unique mechanics. The thing that scares you most in the game is not the in-game models or patches of darkness -- it's your own imagination. When you hear that silent moan at the end of a dark hallway, you can't help but ponder if it's just the ambient sounds or a creature lying in wait. This was one of the only horror games that me and my friends had a group viewing of and it still scared the crap out of everyone. If you're a horror fan, you can make no mistake by giving this game a try. I just hope you have the nerves of steel to finish it.

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
Mine would be Amnesia and Penumbra. Triple A horror games are a rarity, but the indie community has proven to be an excellent source of true chills-down-my-spine horror games, and Penumbra is an excellent example. Instead of relying on gore fests and high end graphics, Penumbra makes you shiver in the dark because of an excellent soundtrack, frightening environment, and unique mechanics. The thing that scares you most in the game is not the in-game models or patches of darkness -- it's your own imagination. When you hear that silent moan at the end of a dark hallway, you can't help but ponder if it's just the ambient sounds or a creature lying in wait. This was one of the only horror games that me and my friends had a group viewing of and it still scared the crap out of everyone. If you're a horror fan, you can make no mistake by giving this game a try. I just hope you have the nerves of steel to finish it.

I got Amnesia: The Dark Descent for free not too long ago. Still haven't installed it or played it xD Little scared to. Plus, a lot of it has been spoiled since I watched a ton of Pewds back in the day.

Anju

Reaction score
In terms of games that I have played i'm going to have to agree with Patrick, Dying Light is really quality. I remembered listening to a song that had distinct screaming in the background whilst playing the game, always thought there were a few volatiles after me. When it was night time i'd get extra scared, but I grew out of it, still a quality game though.
But on the other hand I tend to watch horror games. Until Dawn was so beautiful, I loved the story, graphics and the options you were given. To be very honest I tend to spoil myself by reading the wiki page, but it was still great to watch even though I anticipated it.

lamanlupa

Reaction score
The original Silent Hill in the original Playstation Format was creepy as hell, not to mention having one of the best storylines in my humble opinion. Just thinking of being trapped in a somewhat deserted wasteland, surrounded by death and raining ash. The game is just so damn eerie and spooky. The feeling of being all alone by yourself against the dark forces, the dead silence and grave-like ambiance of the deserted town of Silent Hill and the monstrous beings, ghosts, ghouls and decaying creatures that will make your life a nightmare inside the deathly town.

Last edited:

Ahab

Reaction score
For me, it's a choice between the Fatal Frame and Silent Hill games. I love the stories and the characters from both games. I like the idea of going around in places that you don't understand because they make use of impossible space and crazy level design in general. I wish I could play Fatal Frame 5, why is it only on the Wii U? :(

lexinonomous

Reaction score
I honestly haven't played many horror games. I generally cannot handle all of the jump scares because I throw my controller. If I had to choose one horror game to be my favorite, I would be basing it off of how much it freaked me out. I played PT on playstation when the demo was released. That game scared the living crap out of me. I couldn't handle it and only got about two minutes into it. To me, a good horror game should freak you out a bit, so PT has my vote.

Honeymoon

Reaction score
Slender is overrated. Slenderman isn't even scary at all, or at least not to us who aren't from the US. I still have no idea why everyone seem to be obsessed and terrified of it, with some even going to great lengths to prove his existence in real life when he's very clearly fake. Anyway..

My favorite one is probably Spooky's House of Jump Scares. It's not exactly the kind of horror game that people want, but it's not the worst either. It's got a great balance between cute and terrifying, and I love that. It's very light so it's enjoyable, meaning you're getting the 'fun' kind of terrified, not just terrified terrified.

Last edited:

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
Slender is overrated. Slenderman isn't even scary at all, or at least not us who aren't from the US. I still have no idea why everyone seem to be obsessed and terrified of it, with some even going to great lengths to prove his existence in real life when he's very clearly fake. Anyway..

Youtubers hammed up their reactions to Slender, which resulted in a bunch of people acting like it's the scariest thing ever created. It's a decent game though. A bit spooky and challenging. Not top tier stuff, but still good.

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score

An Outlast 2 teaser was released today. Check it out:

aliangel3499

Reaction score
I haven't played many horror games in my lifetime, but if I had to pick a winner, it would be SOMA. The setting was excellent and the story had its own cool twists. I especially loved the way the game poked at ethical issues that arise from the story plot. It didn't have many cliche moments you'd find in other games of the same genre, but it was weak on the ones it had.
I really enjoyed SOMA as well. Some horror games are relatively hard to complete so you end up annoyed rather than scared, but I personally found this game to be somewhat in the middle. It wasn't horribly difficult but I've had to start over multiple times. There were also several jump scares that I don't think were scary but were so unexpected that it still made me jump. While some people might hate this, I think it's nice to take a moment and laugh at yourself for being afraid of the lights.

Maelalove

Reaction score
I personally love the Silent Hill franchise, myself. Every Silent Hill I've ever played just scares the living crap out of me, and not even by the monsters. There's something about the weird ambiance and atmosphere that they've always been so great at setting up that makes for a creepy game. I've also played Outlast, and while that one has no trouble scaring me, I have a long track record with Silent Hill, winning hands down.

christopher murray

Reaction score
My favorite horror game is doom it has a lot of demonic stuff in it.The starting of it your like in a chair and you woke up out of coma and end up in hell with demon and Satan himself.To get out of hell you of to kill the master of hell Satan to kill him you must upgrade your suite to maximum with your weapon and much.You must not play at night it gives nightmare

dap1900

Reaction score
I like Outlast. I never play it myself, but I enjoy watching Youtubers playing it. I can feel the sensation that this game is trying to give to its players. Its story is quite good, but I personally don't like its ending. This game has done its job on jump-scare its audiences. Other than Outlast, I don't really know other decent horror games that make me feel scared.

izacuson

Reaction score
My favorite horror game of the year so far would have to be Resident Evil 7. The game is very similar to Outlast when it comes to the game play, but i honestly didn't like outlast 2's story and delivery. it seemed to me that Outlast 2's writing was a bit lazy at the ending. The only moments that I've enjoyed the game-play of outlast was the flashbacks, getting chased by the monster in the school hallways at the dark mysterious night. I like RE7 because how short and sweet it is. Not only you have to run away from the Killer's and monster, but you get to fight them back as well!

Referal

Reaction score
I loved five nights at freddy I keep getting jumped scared when they pop out of no where its so no funny I scream so badly I could lose my voice but yea its a great game so far!