• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite games for the SNES.

Jojo83

Reaction score
We all know the NES but what about the SNES? It was the 16 bit successor to the NES and it had some pretty good games. My favorite would be a dragonball z fighting game, I don't remember the title though maybe because it was in japanese.:D That game was fun and it had all the super moves, the combos and the massive energy blasts that you would want in a DBZ game. Another one of my favorites for the SNES was Chrono Trigger. One of the best RPG's of all time, a classic.

LitoLawless

Reaction score
My favorite game for the SNES was definitely Chrono Trigger. The funny thing is that I didn't really pay any mind to it when it initially came out (I didn't really get into RPGs until I was a teenager). Another game that I really loved was X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse. I can remember playing that game every morning before school. I got so good at the beginning missions but always got stuck around the second round of missions.

utneqo7d

Reaction score
Super Mario World, great music and a great game in general. I really love the castle song, I tried playing it on the piano, but it's too awesome for me. I often play it these days using a an emulator and a SNES USB controller, it's the perfect way of wasting your time!

JayWifi

Reaction score
The SNES had many great games however I liked Clock Tower the most. The eerie mood the game set is not something you usually experience nowadays. Tension buildup in that game was suspenseful for any wrong move you made could lead your death at the hands of a demonic little boy with giant scissors. Clock Tower is definitely an underrated classic.

Ridge

Reaction score
Super Mario World. It might be a perfect platformer. The world, music and everything is just perfect. Hard to believe it was a launch title.

It is still super fun whether you just want to jump into for 5 minutes, or have hours to kill.

Jojo83

Reaction score
Yeah, that Super Mario World game was the epitome of platform games. I took the super mario franchise to the next level, much like Mario64 did for the N64. I love to ride on yoshi and just eat all the bad guys up. Super mario world also had those colorful graphics that blew me away when it first came out.

Ravelyx

Reaction score
SNES was a big part of my childhood. I feel like every game that was ever made for SNES deserves a nomination. My favorite ones must have been Chrono Trigger as well as the Donkey Kong Country series.

Why Chrono Trigger?
Chrono Trigger had a great story line and the characters had great personalities. The game also had good amount of gameplay time and there weren't many games like those around when Chrono Trigger first came out. Must have been the reason as to why I'm addicted to RPG and MMO's nowadays :D

Why Donkey Kong Country?
Well, it offered a lot of fun. You would have to complete levels and keep making your way up until you reached the final boss. There were a lot of secret areas and places which you had to discover. You couldn't just go through the game blindly without a bit of thinking and this probably led me to loving strategy based games today. I didn't find many games that required that "thinking" requirement back then as well as having the element of fun and action.

With that said, I still wish my SNES would work. It's been in the basement for quite some time now :(

/Ravelyx

COD

Reaction score
My favorites were Contra, MarioKart, Metroid, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and who can forget Mario Brothers 2. On a site note: my parents bought me the SNES for Christmas, and I used to go into their room before Christmas and snoop around for presents (ha ha) and I saw the SNES and couldn't resist, so I ended up taking it out of the box several times before Christmas and playing it. It was an exciting time.

fire421

Reaction score
My favorites were Contra, MarioKart, Metroid, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and who can forget Mario Brothers 2. On a site note: my parents bought me the SNES for Christmas, and I used to go into their room before Christmas and snoop around for presents (ha ha) and I saw the SNES and couldn't resist, so I ended up taking it out of the box several times before Christmas and playing it. It was an exciting time.
Wow, I probably would've gotten caught if I tried to do that.

fire421

Reaction score
I liked Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Chrono Trigger, which is still one of my favorite games of all time, Yoshi's Island, and Super Metroid

Jojo83

Reaction score
SNES was a big part of my childhood. I feel like every game that was ever made for SNES deserves a nomination. My favorite ones must have been Chrono Trigger as well as the Donkey Kong Country series.

Why Chrono Trigger?
Chrono Trigger had a great story line and the characters had great personalities. The game also had good amount of gameplay time and there weren't many games like those around when Chrono Trigger first came out. Must have been the reason as to why I'm addicted to RPG and MMO's nowadays :D

Why Donkey Kong Country?
Well, it offered a lot of fun. You would have to complete levels and keep making your way up until you reached the final boss. There were a lot of secret areas and places which you had to discover. You couldn't just go through the game blindly without a bit of thinking and this probably led me to loving strategy based games today. I didn't find many games that required that "thinking" requirement back then as well as having the element of fun and action.

With that said, I still wish my SNES would work. It's been in the basement for quite some time now :(

/Ravelyx
Yeah, I would say that I was very tempted to buy that old SNES machine off a garage sale the other month just to re play those great classics. Old game consoles just have a charm in them, I don't know if it's just me but playing those games gives me a unique feeling. Just marveling at those early games, the simple but solid gameplay, great colorful 2D sprites, the nostalgia of it, it's just an epic experience.

Ravelyx

Reaction score
Yeah, I would say that I was very tempted to buy that old SNES machine off a garage sale the other month just to re play those great classics. Old game consoles just have a charm in them, I don't know if it's just me but playing those games gives me a unique feeling. Just marveling at those early games, the simple but solid gameplay, great colorful 2D sprites, the nostalgia of it, it's just an epic experience.

Yeah, I definitely feel you. Every time I even see a SNES game it's like 10,000 memories returns back to me all at once. The power of nostalgia, my friend :D

weepforsweep

Reaction score
My favorite game would have to be Megaman X. The replayability of the game is one of the highest for the Super Nintendo. Everything about it is great from level design to the music.

COD

Reaction score
Wow, I probably would've gotten caught if I tried to do that.
Yeah, it was a bold move, for sure. I was really careful when I was opening the box, although I think there were a few times that I thought someone came home and I shoved it rather roughly inside the box. And sometimes when you do that, the sides of the box can rip. I was so relieved when I got to open it on Christmas day. All of the evidence was gone. Ha ha.

Nero

Reaction score
I just loved Earthbound. Why you ask? The story was amazing and the enemies are funny. I also grew some hate for Porky/Pokey. It also got me to play the other games which are not released to the US, but was translated.

Boxcube

Reaction score
SNES had so many great games, and is hard to narrow down to just one. But I will have to go with Super Mario World for my absolute favorite. I still have memories of my family taking turns playing it on Sunday evenings. Other favorites include F-Zero, NHL 94, and Super Tecmo Bowl.

Zalaria

Reaction score
Oh god here comes the nostalgia...

-Super Mario All-Stars: for the sake of having just about every mario game that I love. Plus it had the "Lost Levels".

-Super Mario World: Okay now technically I didn't own this for the SNES, but I have played it on the Wii, and boy, what a great game it is! It's so colorful and the music is amazing, and Yoshi!!! <3 Again I still haven't beaten it yet, but I'm nearing the end of the main story. Barely unlocked Star World hahahaha xD

-Street Fighter 2: This was the fighting game that got me into fighting games. Chun-Li was my favorite character to use.

lamanlupa

Reaction score
The games I remember on the top of my head would be Donkey Kong and Mortal Kombat 3. MK 3 was the game we bought after buying the console. We had a slamming good time with that game. At first, it was kind of a drag though, our television at the moment had problems with the cabling and stuff, so we had to play our games without the color. The fun was there but the aesthetics were a little bit of a let down because of that, but once the issue was fixed, all was fine and dandy. Aside from MK 3 and Donkey Kong, other games were Final Fantasy III, Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. We had fun with the console for four solid years before it made way for the Playstation 1.

Kaitara

Reaction score
I spent an inordinate amount of time in my youth playing SNES games. So I have a pretty long list...

First up, the Squaresoft games: Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger. Both timeless classics with strong story and great characters. Additionally, Radical Dreamers, a sort of visual novel followup game to CT that was only officially released in Japan.

Next, the random obscure anime-based RPGs: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth. I found them to be true to the series they were based on with great new stories and fun to play. Additionally Sailor Moon had several sidescroller beat-em-ups, fighting games and puzzle games, all of which were extremely good fun.

Last, the Nintendo properties: Kirby Super Star and Mario All-stars (including the "lost levels" of Mario 1, aka Japanese Mario 2). Man did I enjoy those games.

I really miss the days of the SNES, I truly believe it was gaming's golden age, the likes of which we probably won't see again.

Ahab

Reaction score
My favourite SNES game is Chrono Trigger. It's such a good game that even nowadays there are very few games that can possibly compare. It's so tightly designed and fun, with an unforgettable story with branching paths and multiple endings depending on how you act during the story, and a fantastic cast of characters that you'll find hard to decide which one's your favourite. Even Crono, the main character, is a great protagonist with so much charm while also being a silent protagonist. He's one of the best examples of silent protagonists done right.

The combat is one of my favourites in RPG videogames. It is all done in real time without teleporting into a different area just to fight and without loading screens like in the Final Fantasy games. You can unlock special moves where multiple characters attack at once, and they are all different based on what characters you're using and what combination you're making. So much effort is put into the combat that it's so far ahead of anything I've ever seen before and even after that game came out. It is so smart in how it does things in combat, and everything is so tightly balanced that if you fight every single encounter in your path through the story without ever escaping, you're going to be perfectly leveled up for every challenge there is ahead. Nothing is too hard or too easy, you just got to figure out how to beat each encounter based on the enemies' weaknesses and your own tactics.

There is NO filler whatsoever during the story, in fact the game lasts for about 10 to 15 hours (so it doesn't overstay it's welcome) for a single playthrough but playing it again is highly recommended to discover things that you didn't find out in your first game, and because of the branching paths too. It is also the first RPG ever to have a New Game Plus mode after you beat the game, so you can keep all of the items and equipment you've obtained in your first run into a new game. And if you have the good equipment that you've obtained in the last run, you may even try your luck fighting the final boss almost IMMEDIATELY in the new run. The game unlocks the final boss of the game very soon into the story, so you have to choose by yourself when's a good time to fight him. Fighting him in different moments of the storyline gives you access to different endings if you beat him. It's all crazy.

There are so many good things about Chrono Trigger that it's possible that I can spend all day explaining why is it so good. But the only thing that I want to say is this: play it.