• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite childhood game

lexinonomous

Reaction score
Oh boy, there are so many games I could include here. I started out playing Kingdom Hearts and the old Jumpstart games, though they are definitely not the favorite games of my childhood. Of all the games I played, I will have to say my favorite was Super Mario World. I had the one for the GameBoy Advance, and even though I thoroughly sucked at it, I played that game for hours. In fact, I loved it so much I attempted to perform Mario's spin jump (which earned me a twisted ankle). The particular cartridge I'd been given had everything unlocked already, so I spent all the time exploring and collecting different coloured Yoshis.
Honourable mentions go to Super Mario 3, Super Mario 2, and Nintendogs.

I love that you mentioned the Jumpstart games! It has been years since I picked up a Jumpstart game, but I always thought it would be awesome to revisit. My greatest fear is revisiting the game and it ruining my childhood memories. As a child you perceive everything differently, so revisiting can really distort the nostalgia a game once had. I remember playing a few Pajama Sam and Putt Putt games as well.

Gameboy advance was my friendly companion for road trips. My mother thought it was a terrible investment until she realized it made me stop complaining while taking long drives. :p

Joshua

Reaction score
I have two favorite childhood games that I played often. The first is the Road Trip Adventure game on PS2. I really liked the whole concept of it. Such as being able to drive around the city, different missions, upgrade-able cars, races, fun events such as soccer with cars, and figure 8 events. I remember playing it with friends and it was just an all around really enjoyable game, and most likely my favorite. My second one would be Need For Speed Underground for PS2. I liked being able to race around the city with friends, and upgrading cars.

conflict

Reaction score
My favourite game as a child was Sonic the Hedgehog. I could play it for hours at a time. It was the first game I remember playing, and I could still recall the music for you if you asked me to hum it. I was fortunate to have a family who loved gaming sessions, and we always had the newest consoles and a range of games. When the PC came about, and gaming opportunities opened up further, I got hooked on all things sim - Sim City, Theme Hospital, The Sims 1 - and I started to lose interest in console gaming which I still think is somewhat limited compared to PC gaming.

Belovedad

Reaction score
My favorite childhood game was Super Mario Kart. This was most likely due to it being one of my first games. I got it for the SNES or should I say my father's SNES because he loves gaming also. I never really got tired of it and even years later I still play it once in a while. My television doesn't support it unfortunately so I have resorted to the use of emulators.

EntropiaAddict

Reaction score
Being a child when Atari was first coming into the scene, one of the most frustrating and satisfying games I ever played was H.E.R.O. There are of course the classics that I still play often: Pac-Man, Asteroids, and Pitfall. It is so hard to pick a favorite game from my childhood, but my short list would definitely include: Super Mario Bros 3, Marble Madness, Rock 'N Roll Racing, and the Sonic games (teenage years for most of those). The original Zelda and Metroid on the Nintendo definitely holds a special place in my childhood also. Impossible to name just one game it seems as all of these cemented me into the world of gaming forever.

Fengol

Reaction score
My fondest memories of gaming when I was younger happened a good while after I got into gaming and is for a game that most people either won't remember or weren't that enamoured with. It is also the game that my avatar comes from; Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

It was the first game I'd played that had a huge open world in 3D. It was gorgeous! I was able to go anywhere, do anything and - as part of the games allure - be anyone. It was also a 3rd-person action adventure, first-person shooter, and side scrolling beat-em-up all in one.
Unfortunately, it was plagued with bugs and the 1st person and beat-em-up sections were shockingly bad. Its ratings suffered due to this and it never really made a huge impact.

However, the memories I have from wandering around the city, visiting shops and even watching a David Bowie underground gig (yes, that's Bowie's character in my avatar) left more of an impression that almost any game since (except Deus Ex)

Casiox

Reaction score
I personally still remember when I used to spend a lot of time playing with my PSone, my favorite games always used to be Spyro and Crash bandicoot, mostly Crash games which I used to play a lot, my mom always used to argue with me because of that, but I never paid minimal attention to her, she was kinda invisible when I was playing, those were really good times, it's definitely a shame I do not have my PSone anymore, it would be really nice to play those games again.

Steamroller

Reaction score
My favorite games were Super Mario 64 and Star Fox 64. I was 6 years old when Nintendo released the Nintendo 64; these were my first games on that platform.

Blue Betta

Reaction score
I was a PC gamer, and Sierra and Westwood were two of my favorite companies. I loved King's Quest VI (and if you have not seen it, find a playthrough. Also, the soundtrack is AMAZING). I also loved Island of Dr. Brain and the later Lost Mind of Dr. Brain. I liked the first Lands of Lore and the Kyrandia series, especially Kyrandia 2. PC gaming doesn't get as much love as it should, in my opinion.

mkhl

Reaction score
Definitely the original Pokemon games. I remember playing those with my friends. There was no guide or anyone teaching us. We just played it as genuine adventurers looking for anything in this game. I remember dying a lot of times to my rival. I hated that guy.

christopher murray

Reaction score
My favorite childhood game is Nintendo 64(Mario kart) it has a lot of specific things in it like collecting ? box and you can get a star, speed mushroom,fireball and mushroom that make you in giant that you can't really see from other game.Over the years Mario kart was the hottest game that we loved.Now things and time change different generation come in and have new console with new game .

dap1900

Reaction score
Wow, this brings me back the nostalgic pictures in my head. I really can't recall the game's name, but it lives deep down in my thoughts. The game's genre is kind of space-fighting aircraft, or something like that. You can play with bots, or with friends locally using the same keyboard. There're teams in this game. There're so many items to pickup. The terrain can be destroyed, I once destroyed the whole map. Good old days.

Corzhens

Reaction score
I was a teenager during the Atari era. However, I played sparingly because there was no arcade here at the time and I was lucky to have one classmate with an Atari machine (that's how we called it then). The tv was our monitor and we usually play in groups. When the Pacman game came about, I had the chance to play it in one friend's computer but I did not like it because it was too fast for me. But I enjoyed watching Pacman if the player is good and adept with the keys. With Super Mario, I was already working in a bank and I had the chance to play it just several times. I like the background music of Super Mario, it enlivens the game.

Lord Sanity

Reaction score
Mario Party Kingdom Hearts Dragon Ball Z Budokai no mercy 2000 I'm not picking between these games they're all my favorite childhood game.

Sino989

Reaction score
My all time favorite game when I was a child without a doubt would have to WrestleMania XIX. That was by the far the most fun WWE game I have ever played. I used to play that game all the time and had endless hours of fun with it.

phatlytridivo

Reaction score
That would be The Sims 1, the original. I had a blast with that game. Even though the game was out around 2000, I didn't know the game until 2005, when one of my cousin showed me the game and the ideas behind it. I was hooked by the ideas that I can control a person, or a sim, and also able to build houses and buy objects. At first sight, it got my attention right away, and the more I played, the more I loved it. Right now I still love it, and most of my friends knew about it. It was a popular and a successful game, it is still right now, that's why we have The Sims 2, 3, and 4, thanks to the original The Sims.

izacuson

Reaction score
My very first consol as a kid was the Nintendo 64. Early 90's kids golden ticket to paradise. This consol with the PlayStation 1 were the highlight of my childhood.

Chadwictastic

Reaction score
My favorite childhood video game was the original Final Fantasy for NES and for the game boy. If I still owned it it would probably be worth a lot of money. I played it non stop everyday for many months until I borrowed a cheat book or two like Nintendo Power. Also, sad to say, one of my favs for the PC I didn't get to play as a kid; however, I did start playing it in adulthood. That game or series of games is the Dragonlance series for the old 486 computers.

EarlAlexander

Reaction score
My favorite childhood game was Snake Xender, the game has many levels and tips for easy access. Then I would use tips to increase my score and live unlimited.

lilac123

Reaction score
My favorite childhood game is probably Pokemon (I started off with Pokemon Crystal) just because it was the first game I ever played and although I played the same game for years, I never got bored of it. I'm still a pretty big fan of Pokemon even now. Back then, everyone would bring their Gameboys to school or trade Pokemon cards, so it was everywhere. Still brings back a lot of good memories.