• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite childhood game

lexinonomous

Reaction score
As a child I spent a great deal of time behind my keyboard, searching for the ideal video game. Of course, I started off playing "jump start" games in school, but slowly became interested in what other games had to offer. I ended up playing my father's SNES and it was all uphill from there. I had found my love for video games on an entirely different level.

All of us have fond memories of a certain video game. Every once in a while I will come across a meme or photo of my childhood favorite and it creates an extreme feeling of nostalgia.

What was your favorite childhood video game?
Have you played it as an adult?

guruproto

Reaction score
Easily Super Mario 64. Although I was young and horrible at it, Mario was one of my favorite video game characters and the game itself was amazing. I was constantly scolded by my parents for staying up too long to try and finish that last level and gain a star. Now that I have grown older, I appreciate the game more. Games like that and Banjo Kazooie are tough to find nowadays considering the slew of Call of Duty clones and sequels. Anytime I hear that title screen song or Mario's signature "It's a me -- Mario!" I get a warm hit of nostalgia.

Patrick

Reaction score
When I didn't have friends over it'd be Star Ocean Second Story. That game has so much depth to it, all of the characters had something about them that made them feel unique and valuable, the story was original, the battle system was flawless (in my opinion)... I could go on. It was a true gem for it's time.

On the other hand, when friends were over we'd all take turns with Crash Team Racing or Tony Hawks Pro Skater.

ProNine

Reaction score
One of my favorite childhood games were the Megaman games. I remember playing Megaman X3, X5, and X8 on my PC and enjoying them quite a lot. I just recently replayed Megaman X5 because it had that feeling of nostalgia to it. I also played Megaman Legends 1 and cleared it when I was a kid, I have also recently started playing the second game but stopped mid way through. I bought an old DS and am trying to find any Megaman game that I can play. I know that there is the Battle Network games but I don't like the tile based RPGs that much.

lamanlupa

Reaction score
When I was still a kid, the Atari system was already established and was considered by many as the ultimate gaming console. My favorite game during that digitized and polygonal era was the game entitles Yar's Revenge. You played as a giant alien bug or wasp and your goal was to destroy an enemy ship. You used the enemy's missiles to destroy them. The game was relatively difficult at times, especially if the game was picking up the pace. Oh, the memories.

Dabstin

Reaction score
I used to play on a SEGA Genesis emulator, it was the only way I could play any games at all considering the low specs of our family computer back then (even by that time's standards). It could hardly run anything, but it ran these games. I used to play a game called Earthworm Jim. I was so obsessed with that game. I also had like 5000 other games I played on that emulator lol. We had a dial-up connection so I used to just download like crazy even when I didn't want to, in case someone would want to use the phone. I hated waiting so I downloaded a bunch of games in the background every time I was playing. Good times.

Honeymoon

Reaction score
I spend most of my childhood playing a game called Breath of Fire IV. It was released in 2000 and is the first game that I could remember playing. I was quite literally obsessed with the game, finishing it at least five times. One time I even finished the game in one day.. yep. A few hours were all it took. The game wasn't even that short, it could actually last up to a few weeks for newer players. Earthworm Jim is another game I remember playing, but I didn't enjoy it that much.

paigeswan

Reaction score
My cousins and I always used to play Mario Kart every winter at my grandparents house. It was always so fun to compete with each other, and tease each other each time one of us would pass someone in the race. It was great to try out all of the different levels and use those banana peels against each other. It kept us entertained for hours.

lexinonomous

Reaction score
My cousins and I always used to play Mario Kart every winter at my grandparents house. It was always so fun to compete with each other, and tease each other each time one of us would pass someone in the race. It was great to try out all of the different levels and use those banana peels against each other. It kept us entertained for hours.

This was the majority of my childhood as well. I spent so much time playing Mario Kart with my cousins during the Christmas season. It always seemed to be a family game and an excuse for all of us to talk trash to each other, ha ha.

ScorpionWaterfall

Reaction score
I can't honestly say that I had only one favorite game. I loved all of the Super Mario NES and SNES games. I absolutely loved Mario Kart. I also played Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. The Legend of Zelda games were fun. I can't say that I rank them amongst my favorites, but they were pretty great when I was in the mood to play them. I have played the Mario and Mortal Kombat games as an adult. I still love them! I haven't played Street Fighter much as an adult. I can't even find Virtua Fighter, but it's just as well. I don't have a Sega.

aliangel3499

Reaction score
Pokemon was definitely my favorite childhood games. Although I enjoyed playing several other games, I would find them to be too easy or I would get stuck. Pokemon, on the other hand, wasn't too hard but still required a bit of grinding and strategy in order to beat the gym, avoid trainers, or get past the Elite Four. It was also a great challenge to try to 'catch them all'.

tiffaninichole

Reaction score
Definitely the OG Super Mario Bros. That game was so epic to me. I remember when we got our first Nintendo and I think the Mario game came with it. I must have hogged that thing for weeks, and it was in my mom's room, so I'm sure she was sick of seeing my face every second of the day. LOL. I think I may have shed a tear when I finally beat it. I loved that game so much.

djordjem87

Reaction score
I was a child in 90's so my favourite games are not PC games but NES games and Sega games. I remember playing Cadillac and Dinosaur and Punisher every day on those coin machines. There was another game I played and it was a fighting game but I never managed to remember the name because I had a small incident concerning it. Other than this, I played Super Mario, Bomberman and few other games from NES. I forgot to mention Playstation one that was lunched in 1996 and changed our lives totally. My favourites were Winning Eleven, Twisted Metal series, Micro Machines, Circuit game ( i think that was the name), Crash Bandicoot and many more like Tekken, Mortal Combat, Need for Speed...

PackmanHD

Reaction score
My favourite was a game on the PS2 that I don't think too many people knew about, it was called "Destroy All Humans!" and I've never had so much fun playing a game before. There's just something really cool about playing as an alien with these insane weapons, and it actually had a fairly interesting storyline.

leahcim132

Reaction score
Mine would have to be Pokemon Yellow for the Gameboy Color. It was my first ever pokemon game and I spent so much times playing it. I remember link trading some pokemons with my cousin and we always used to battle. Sadly, I lost the gameboy and the game itself but the memory made will never be forgotten. I haven't gotten my hands on the most recent versions but I've been playing Pokemon Y for a while now.

PSyCHoHaMSTeRza

Reaction score
My first real game I ever played, the game that turned the tides of my life and made me the gamer I am today, was Quake 2. I was a wee tyke, barely able to reach the keyboard when i saw my dad playing it. Then I wanted it. My dad, being the irresponsible person he is (bless his soul), installed it on my PC and here I was, little 7 year old gamer, blowing Strogg heads off with a Super Shotgun and slowly gibbing them with my Blaster. My mom was not happy.

Squigly

Reaction score
Pokemon Fire Red for me, back then owning a GameBoy was the coolest thing ever. I do the miss the era of handheld gaming devices instead of smartphones nowadays.

Adel.S

Reaction score
DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for sure. It was one of the first game that I got for my PS2, and boy was it good. I truly enjoyed it because it was very well done in all aspects. The fighting mechanics were superb, the soundtracks were amazing, character voices were identical to the anime, and the story was entertaining and thrilling. Also, it has loads of characters and side quest, which supports its longevity and replayability.

SunnysideUP

Reaction score
Mine were two "ancient" PC games: Raptor-Call of the Shadows, which is a 2D shooting game with an airship and various weapons and stages in earth and space, and Risky Woods, which is the "Dark Souls" of the early 90s games, a 2D platform RPG that was so hard to beat they say no one ever made it to the last stage...Well, I never made it past the 3rd stage and there's like 10 of them.
These two are the first actually challenging games I had to play where you had to backtrack a lot, and grind a lot to get somewhere and really make yourself capable of making it through broken stages, as well as actualy think and come up with a strategy to win against the bosses instead of mindlessly charging and button mashing.

OutOfSpoons

Reaction score
Oh boy, there are so many games I could include here. I started out playing Kingdom Hearts and the old Jumpstart games, though they are definitely not the favorite games of my childhood. Of all the games I played, I will have to say my favorite was Super Mario World. I had the one for the GameBoy Advance, and even though I thoroughly sucked at it, I played that game for hours. In fact, I loved it so much I attempted to perform Mario's spin jump (which earned me a twisted ankle). The particular cartridge I'd been given had everything unlocked already, so I spent all the time exploring and collecting different coloured Yoshis.
Honourable mentions go to Super Mario 3, Super Mario 2, and Nintendogs.