• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Easy or Hard?

Hidden308

Reaction score
Do you like playing games simply just for the story or the fun or do you play on hard for the challenge of it?

Most of the time i'll probably play easy the first few levels or the first few quests (if it's a rpg) to understand the controls/feel of the gameplay. Then i'll restart and play on the hardest difficulty.

Kalaborative

Reaction score
Same here; I go easy first just so I can get the gist of the plot and just finishing the game to finish it. Then I go on hard and try that. Finishing a game then is better because you just get the overall feeling of finally completing the game and you've just won it. [:

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Usually for games on my Xbox I start out on a medium difficulty. As soon as I get the hang of it, I crank the difficulty all the way up :)
As for MMO's, I usually play the tutorial level and then just mess around with a few easy areas before I go for the hard content :)

reginafalange

Reaction score
I play games on a medium level of difficulty if it's possible. When games are too easy they bore me and when the level of difficulty is too high I have problems advancing in the game and I get annoyed so medium is the best level for me.

goldlady

Reaction score
Well I think it depends on the kind of game. I love games that are hard to play because I know it woud make me do my best to get to master it. But sometimes easy games are also kind of fun. As I said... it depends!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I play the default difficulty on the first playthrough. It's how the game devs wanted the game to be played, so I go there. For speed run challenges after I finish the game, I go easy mode; and I do the harder difficulties since most games have an achievement for completing them anyway. It's that simple. I don't frustrate myself needlessly by playing the game harder than it should with no goal in sight.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
Growing up as a kid I enjoyed playing games for the fun of it. Most of the time, I would set the difficulty to "easy" on any game I generally played. Having or acquiring skill really wasn't a concern of mine as I was simply having too much fun enjoying the game itself. As I got older, I started seeking more quality gameplay and developing my own set of skills to beat the game itself. It was at this point I started enjoying a challenge more than just playing for fun on easy mode. So I guess you can say I went through different phases.

konomi

Reaction score
Easy! LOL. At first I just want to get the hang of the game, then after I beat it on the easiest setting I'll try again on the next level of difficulty, and so on. I don't think there's any shame in playing games on easy, because everybody has different goals/preferences for gaming, and different skills and abilities. Most of the time I play games to relax or relieve stress, and a game that's too difficult doesn't let me do that.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
It all depends on my mood. Sometimes I like to just sit down and go through the motions of a game I've long since beaten. I'll pop in an old SNES game on those evenings. Other times I'm riled up and eager for a fight so I'll put in something hard or unfamiliar. My favorite titles I end up playing through casually the first time so I cans imply sit back and enjoy the ride, and then I return to them with a "kitchen sink" mentality where I anticipate seeing everything, and beating everything the game throws at me.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I would play with a hard difficulty since I love to go with some challenge but I wouldn't try the hardest diffulty right away since I know it would at least require playing through the game once. There is actually fun playing in hard difficulties. It's thoughtful for game developers to also give additional rewards in playing on harder difficulties.
An example for that feature would be better loots that would scale later on for RPG games and increase in experience given for easier leveling up.

Lem

Reaction score
I think there's an important balance to be struck. Clearly, some people bring more skill to a game than others so you have to have difficulty settings. I like a game to be challenging, but if I have to spend more than 20 minutes trying to do the same thing then I'm going to get frustrated.

peachpurple

Reaction score
I always play games from the easy level or beginner level. If I cannot reach the hard level, I will retry and retry until I get to pass that stage. Otherwise, I would look for cheats or walk through to pass it. Never give up yet.

gamergal

Reaction score
I go for the hardest difficulty level that I can manage. But most games have their difficulty levels locked before we first complete the gameplay for once. Say, Resident evil series. But it shouldn't matter with the actual gameplay. A gamer who loves their games will play as many times as they like and there's no difficulty level to stop them. For some gamers these games are like stories that they want to unfold one by one. But for some it is like a puzzle: the harder it gets, the better they like.

Frank

Reaction score
Medium haha. I've beaten games on both easy and hard, but I don't think either is for me. Hard requires to work through to much frustration and your own skill development to beat a game and yes, in the end it does feel great, but I get the same satisfaction when I beat the game on medium. When I have a game that's only giving me trouble every third level it's much more memorable than the one that's constantly super hard or super easy (as it usually is with the difficulty settings). Easy is fun too if you're only interested in the story and want to relax while playing video games.

thart

Reaction score
I always choose the hard difficulty for the chalenge of course, it makes the game more fun and i think that i will get bored if i play the easy mode.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Typically I first play a video game on the normal mode so that I can enjoy the story without much interruption. I have been playing video games for years now, but I must fess up to the fact that I still kind of suck at them. While many people can breeze through hard modes with ease, I'm going to be dying all over the place. If I'm doing it for the challenge, then that means I already finished it on normal or easy. There is no way I can enjoy the story in hard modes, because then I'm just focused on how frustrated I am.

Thammy

Reaction score
Hard all the way! I'm never completing any task on a platter of gold..the only time i could possibly try easy on is probably me perfcting my combos and that's mostly for action games..else, it's hard all the way. Then hard earns me my bragging rights too*hehehe! Necessary for any real gamer. Easy deprives you of that

ballyhara

Reaction score
Hard all the way! I'm never completing any task on a platter of gold..the only time i could possibly try easy on is probably me perfcting my combos and that's mostly for action games..else, it's hard all the way. Then hard earns me my bragging rights too*hehehe! Necessary for any real gamer. Easy deprives you of that
totally agree! of course when I start to play a game I do it to check it out, see how can I get more points, rewards, tokens, whatever the heck is going to help me get over the next level, but once the difficulty rise up, that's when I say, ok buddy bring it on, and gets me more and more attached to it, so is like a goal for me to defeat that hard level. If it's too easy is like... boring

konomi

Reaction score
I think there's an important balance to be struck. Clearly, some people bring more skill to a game than others so you have to have difficulty settings. I like a game to be challenging, but if I have to spend more than 20 minutes trying to do the same thing then I'm going to get frustrated.

Exactly! "Challenging" is fine, but if it's so difficult that I can't get past something, then it's not fun anymore. There are so many games I've abandoned because I wasn't good enough to play, and that's really...disappointing and not fun :/ It does feel good to beat a game on hard difficulty, but that's not the only reason to play a game, I think.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
It depends on the genre. On FPS or action games, I usually go for hard since I like the challenge and I don't suck too much. But in games like RTS, RPG or all that requires a bit of strategy and brain thinking... I'll just stick to medium. Not easy, just medium - a compromise between easy and hard.
Then there are some exception, in cases where I know the game is way too hard or way too easy, and I choose the difficulty by consequences.
But at the end of the day I'm not a fan of the difficulty choice in games: I prefer something like Dark Souls, where the difficulty is one for everybody.