• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do You Use Cheat When Playing Game?

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I have a code I follow with games where I try not to cheat or use any type of guide as a rule. Games cost money, and frankly quite a bit of it. When you cheat you're literally robbing yourself of the value of that money, as well as the experience of overcoming a trial. That said, I do have soft limits. A game's purpose, first and foremost, is to be enjoyable. If I get hopelessly stuck on a puzzle for too long I will turn to a guide or a cheat to get past it, and then resume normal gameplay, but I do owe an honest, hard try at passing it normally first.

Ultimately, on a single player game you can only cheat yourself. You have to ask "do I feel cheated?" if you use cheats. If the answer is "no", then that's fair and you should do what makes the game feel right for you. But I would argue there is rarely a time where an easy pass returns as much value as having climbed the hill honestly.

RosieDaven

Reaction score
I think it's stupid to do that. But I must admit, I'm no different, I still used motherlode. :'D But for me it ruins the game, if it gets too easy, it's not the same before. It's just a fake sense of achievement. Except if it's a cheat to bring out something fun of the game, like in sims, it has a lot of "must-try'" cheats.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I try to avoid using cheats as far as possible. I think the only time that I used cheat it was for the SIMS games. I wanted to have more coins so as to be able to buy more stuffs to decorate my house. I got greedy and I did use the cheats. lol

sephyr

Reaction score
I do use cheats. Only on games that do not involve other people and only because I get impatient with the grind and want to get the story moving ASAP. After completing the game the first time though, I usually do it again without the cheats.

Westerlies

Reaction score
If I have played far enough into a game and it starts to get a little dull, sometimes it is fun to cheat a little bit. Unlimited money in Sims by entering rosebuds or kaching. Unlimited free bullets in Fallout 4 if you do a certain trick with a certain ammo dealer. Turning a stolen item in Skyrim to not show up as stolen with the help of a follower. Sometimes you just need to spice up your game play and work with some hidden gems in the code. As long as you're not using cheat codes to benefit in shooting games, then you're cool with me.

amine erraji

Reaction score
i do use cheats but only in single player games because sometime when a game requier so much grinding it drives you from the game it self, it's normal for me if use cheats because i don't have time for the same step over and over, but i havn't use cheats in multiplayer games never ever as you said you don't play the full game.

kgord

Reaction score
It depends. I sometimes get or use hints when playing a game. I am not sure if you would really call them cheats. They are just strategies to help play the game. I don't feel bad about using them. Sometimes you are just stuck on a level.

reginafalange

Reaction score
I once used some Firefox extension to have infinite power ups on Candy Crush Saga lol, but it was because I got stuck at some level that it was impossible for me to pass, I tried everything and had no results, I got really frustrated so I decided to do this and I finally passed it. I know it's dumb but oh well, this is cheating.

konomi

Reaction score
It depends. I sometimes get or use hints when playing a game. I am not sure if you would really call them cheats. They are just strategies to help play the game. I don't feel bad about using them. Sometimes you are just stuck on a level.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I consider hints to be "cheating." I guess some people might think of it that way, but it still feels different. Or sometimes a game might have a mod that makes something easier or more convenient, but you still have to do the work. For example, one of the mods I use in Stardew Valley shows me on the map where each of the characters currently are. I could check the wiki & find out, or wander around until I find them, but it saves me SO much time to be able to see it on the map. Maybe some people would call that mod "cheating," but I don't really care lol.