• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you think GTA V is too violent?

Michael

Reaction score
If you REALLY want to see violence, play Manhunt.

ScorpionWaterfall

Reaction score
I don't think any game can be too violent. It's a game. It's not real. I think reality is far more violent that most games can achieve. Sadly, at least video game violence has a reason. It's usually mapped out in the story mode. You can't say that for a lot of what happens in real life.

sketchyy

Reaction score
Does anyone think that Rockstar went a little overboard on the violence and inappropriateness front? One recent example is I killed someone by throwing snowballs at him.
I'm under the feeling that hey, its a Rockstar game, it should be offensive - however what do you guys think?

Definitely not too violent. You have to think of the older series, such as Vice City, where you would just cut people using a chainsaw, where you'd run over someone and your car would leave bloody skids around the street. It's just part of the game. GTA woudn't be the same without all the gore, it has been a part of it for way too long. Plus, it's fun to go around hammering down people in first person view. :D

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
I don't think a game could ever be too violent. Even if there was a game that was inappropriate/too violent for a good chunk of people, they don't have to play it.

lexinonomous

Reaction score
I've always known GTA to be full of violence. Majority of my childhood was spent running people over with my vehicles and picking up hookers. Even if they did up the violence, it really doesn't surprise me all that much. I don't mind it. It is a game about auto theft, so with crime comes violence...usually.

Squigly

Reaction score
I do think that it isn't really a game that kids below 12 should be playing, but I've seen kids as young as 9 or 10 get the game for Christmas. It's not about the graphic violence, but rather the uninhibited and socially unsavory behavior like theft, prostitution, racketeering etc. that isn't too healthy on such young impressionable children.

PackmanHD

Reaction score
I wouldn't describe any games as being too violent, mainly because the game has its 18+ rating for a reason. I know kids still do play it, but Rockstar have done what they can to prevent it.

To be honest the only scene in the game that I think pushed it slightly too far was the torture scene, but then again it was performed by Trevor, and he can be expected to do insane stuff like that.

So in short I'd say, no, these games can't really be too violent.

bleblanc10

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, it is rated M for Mature for a reason. I do not actually believe that somebody who has never done or thought or doing anything crazy violent would play a game and then go do it all the sudden.

PingPongCall

Reaction score
Does anyone think that Rockstar went a little overboard on the violence and inappropriateness front? One recent example is I killed someone by throwing snowballs at him.
I'm under the feeling that hey, its a Rockstar game, it should be offensive - however what do you guys think?
I think the term offensive, is really subjective to the individual playing the game. If you're willing to be offended by something made to entertain or more to the point, something that doesn't even exist, should you really be allowed to have an opinion in the first place.

PingPongCall

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, it is rated M for Mature for a reason. I do not actually believe that somebody who has never done or thought or doing anything crazy violent would play a game and then go do it all the sudden.
Many middle aged women and lobbyist would strongly disagree with you there.

Squigly

Reaction score

Everyone knows that ESRB ratings don't really do much though, they're just a guideline for people when choosing games. Until they ever decide to enforce the law and prevent minors from purchasing M-rated games.

Susimi

Reaction score
GTA has always been known as a violent game but I think if you want to see some real violence then you need to go back to GTA III and turn on the gore mode cheat. With that mode on you can shoot peoples limbs off with plenty of blood spurting everywhere. Enough said.

How would you classify too violent though? I mean where do you draw the line?

bleblanc10

Reaction score
Everyone knows that ESRB ratings don't really do much though, they're just a guideline for people when choosing games. Until they ever decide to enforce the law and prevent minors from purchasing M-rated games.
I don't know about other states but I live in Massachusetts and I tried to buy GTA when I was seventeen and the guy at Gamestop wouldn't sell it to me without a parent.

JusApee

Reaction score
GTA has always been violent, but at the same time free. That's why I love playing it: simply because I can do whatever I want. If I feel like it, I'm going to use a cheat code, get a machine gun and kill everyone around, or simply steal a car and drive until I destroy it. Violence is only a part of GTA, which is also featured in the main story, because the characters are criminals. I think it's one of the most important parts in GTA and shouldn't be ever removed.
No, GTA is not too violent, but it is violent.

pwarbi

Reaction score
The title alone tells people that it's violent though, so I don't see how people can complain too much.

Is GTA anymore violent than some films that people watch? I'm not sure it is to be honest, and people saying that games like GTA are having a bad influence on their children, need to focus more on their parenting skills rather than blaming games if that IS the case.

cortana

Reaction score
100% no. It's a video game and it's meant for entertainment.

Catactus

Reaction score
It wouldn't be GTA without it :D I don't mind. It's a game. There are far "worse" and more violent games out there. If it was all just baking muffins, no one would play

Joshua

Reaction score
I don't think it is violent at all. I think that violence is something required in GTA's nature, it just wouldn't seem right. It adds a lot more fun to the game for me, with having blood, throwing snowballs, running people over with tanks, etc. I would actually like to see more violence added to the game, although I'm not really sure what type of violence could be added that does not already exist in the game.