• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you think GTA V is too violent?

Empire

Reaction score
Yeah and no. That is why they added the age rating, even then that doesn't stop them from playing you know. However playing with modifications that van turn out to be good if it was more rping and other players don't messed it up.

I been playing online with allot of young people

Craap

Reaction score
Lets say Rockstar Games is like the Quentin Tarantino of the gaming industry. Comical violence is never meant to be outrageous. It's quite the opposite, actually. I think that by making it silly and unrealistic takes away most of the negative side of violence. It's meant for teens anyway, so why not throw in some goofy stuff. I think its just fine. If it weren't it wouldn't had been a top selling game! I rest my case ;)

john franklin

Reaction score
I think this game is not suitable for minors. We can judge the game by its title Grand Theft Auto. Children should not play this game. They should be at the age where they can judge their self whether the things happening in the game are right to do in the real life or not.

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
Too violent? I don't think so. As weird as this sounds, but this is the game's main point and remember, there is an age rating. I love the fact how hilariously you can kill people. I know I should complete missions, but I always end up running around, stealing cars and killing people.

Ferns

Reaction score
I mean, violence is a central part of GTA, players already have an expectation before purchasing the game. After playing so many other GTA games nothing seems too violent for me personally. If any parents are worried about their kids being influenced it is their duty to educate them. I've killed hundreds of people in the game but I won't hurt a fly in real life. It's all about having a right mindset.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I don't think it's "too" violent. In San Andreas you had to mow down a bunch of hippies with a harvester, literally running them over and turning them into meat parts while driving. You also bury a construction worker alive under his own waste while inside a toilet, just because his crew said some things to your sister. You also kill countless people throughout the game, be it henchmen or random passersby. You've seen nothing yet.

jahanzeb ali qureshi

Reaction score
It is a bit violent but if we take this game as just a game then there is no problem with it. I think parents should tell their child that this is only the game and there is nothing related to reality. It is possible that some children could take negative effect from it but if we teach our child in a proper way then there would be no problem with it.

overcast

Reaction score
At some point I have found that GTA is not only violent but it can be bad for the kids too. I mean lot of things for the game are out of hand. It can put on seriously bad impression about the laws and the people following it. Makes you feel like rebel. And that way you'd only kind of hating the system eventually.

Ash

Reaction score
The only time that I ever thought Grand Theft Auto V was too violent was the torture scene which you had to do with Trevor. That was literally the only bit where I thought Rockstar went a bit too far. To be fair, I would have been fine with that part of the game except for the bit where you had to pull out his teeth. I'm really uncomfortable with anything related to pulling of teeth so that bit I had to do while closing my eyes. Other than that, none of the other things were really uncomfortable because we have grow up watching simple scenes in movies so it wasn't out of the ordinary or unusual to see.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
Compared to other games that I remember, I think Grand Theft Auto V is not that violent. Of course, you could blow things up and use wide variety of guns to shoot innocent people for no reason at all but there is no mutilation or dismemberment featured in the game, unlike in the previous installments of the Grand Theft Auto series wherein performing a headshot on a person will cause his head to be cut off. There are also scenes in GTA San Andreas, I remember, which involved scenes that are brutal and gory.
I have nothing against the violence, I even like it. It's just that if GTA V went with the idea of putting dismemberment in the game would be overboard.
Also I feel bad because I accidentally killed an old woman holding her coffee because I bumped to her. Accidentally killing someone actually makes me feel bad when I am not in the mood of killing.

Westbay

Reaction score
Personally I don't think its too violent, the best open world game ever its just like existing in your own world and trying to survive as a matter of fact it could be someone's life story you know. If GTA is violent what would you say about Call of Duty series? they shoot or blow up something from inception till the end no side missions, no golf course, tennis court or marathon race not all the missions are violent some are as a result of old ways catching up with them, take for instance Franklin his aunt wouldn't want him around his house and Jamal gets him in trouble almost all the time not until he met Micheal. Its basically surviving in a crazy world if that's violence then so be it.

valy

Reaction score
Well, I have played it a lot and to be honest, I didn't pay attention to this, but now that you mention it I think that violence and crime are pretty much the name of the game. While you have the option to go in guns blazing, you also have the ability to pull off the first heist without really killing anyone.
Still, I think is a good game but the kids should avoid this game!

Kharyode

Reaction score
Yes its to violent. But I like it like that. Everything has reason, And it depends on how you see it. If you see it from the other side it not really a violent game rather it's a survival game. There are lessons to be learned from there.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Certainly not! The Grand Theft Auto games have always been over the top parodies of action movies, which themselves are pretty over the top when compared with reality most of the time. I'm firmly in the "ethically neutral" camp, philosophically speaking, when it comes to the issue of in-game content. There's no such thing as an immoral action in-game because those actions are not being committed against sentient beings. There is more violence inherent to kicking your easy chair than there is to blowing away a guy on the street in a GTA game.

I certainly think children could be socially influenced by the things they see. But these games aren't for them and it's incumbent upon parents to curate their child's environment appropriately. Society does not owe them censorship, rather self-censorship is the appropriate course of action here if your young one isn't yet mature enough to understand that actions in-game are not the same as actions in real life. I would liken it to letting them watch Wrestling. All the little boys loved Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior when I was a kid. And all of our parents were quick to explain to us that Wrestling is just an act. They're not really harming each other, but performing a sort of gymnastic magic show. To behave that way in real life would injure, or kill someone.

For the same reason I've never gone out and "Tombstone"ed someone, I'll never rip a guy out the of the car, pop him until his life meter is gone, steal his money, and drive off to commit vehicular felonies. Media can never objectively be "too" anything. It's always a subjective matter and thus it's a personal responsibility that we each must decide for ourselves where our lines are, and to be adult enough not to cross them while allowing each other the same right to make their own choices about where that line is.

kgord

Reaction score
Alot of video games are violent, I don;t necessarily see any reason why this particular game is any more violent than any other. I think that yes, it is not for the faint of heart and you wouldn't want your pre teen playing it for sure, but it is OK for those of age.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Alot of video games are violent, I don;t necessarily see any reason why this particular game is any more violent than any other. I think that yes, it is not for the faint of heart and you wouldn't want your pre teen playing it for sure, but it is OK for those of age.

It's more that the Grand Theft Auto series has become a sort of focal point for various pro-censorship crowds than anything else. They've routinely used this form of scapegoating to vilify a common enemy so they have a rallying point for their supporters. GTA is far from the first either. Going back to my childhood, the original Mortal Kombat was the target of many family groups and even got brought up in congressional addresses on C-Span! Video games in general have been an easy modern target, but before that it was rock music or Dungeons and Dragons, and before that it was movies and even radio has been the scapegoat. It's always the same "think of the children!" lines in each generation.

fishmonk

Reaction score
I think GTA V is not really that violent. I have played countless games with more noticeable violence. That being said, I will not be recommending GTA V to my younger cousins to play.

kgord

Reaction score
Being a mom, I am not really in favor of any games that sort of encourage a lack of sensitivity. They might be fun and exciting but developing minds don't really need to be playing those games. I don't know if GTA has a warning label on it, but it should in my opinion.

yoyoalben0

Reaction score
The first GTA was like this. its just the graphics of the game improved through the years. Even if you remember GTA Vice city, its as hardcore as GTA V. I don't really think they went overboard, also when you buy the game there is always an 18+ tagged on it. I know some games that gives more Gore and violence that GTA V. This game was made as it is, and kept improving through years.

fireball916

Reaction score
I don't think it's too violent. It's probably just the right amount, they could probably make it even more violent before I'd have a problem with it. It's a funny type of violence so I don't understand what someones problem would be with the violence in GTA. So I hit a hooker with my car going 100 MPH, so what? Hahaha