• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Current Generation Consoles Vs. Steam Machine

Calcified

Reaction score
So the Steam machines getting nearer their release date and me still being cheap about getting a PS4, I've now come face to face with another dilemma, is it still worth it getting a PS4 or an Xbox one, or should I just get a steam machine?

I'm considering a couple of aspects and the only thing that really stands out for the current gen consoles is that they're currently cheaper than the steam machine and also of course the exclusive games (especially on the PS4), but then again Steam is pretty much the god of sales and discounts, so it kinda counter balances the fact that the Steam machine is more expensive, since I do get to spend less on the games themselves. Opinions?

Patrick

Reaction score
To be honest with you I wouldn't get a Steam Machine unless you plan to drop $700+ or you're comfortable doing a bit of tweaking, and if that were the case you'd be better off just building a PC. I like the premise of the Steam Machine and I love how it's encouraging developers to make games for open source Linux distributions, but at it's current state there doesn't really seem to be much drive behind it. There aren't many AAA titles on SteamOS, so even if I were to get a Steam Machine I think it'd be best to replace SteamOS with Windows and use it as a dedicated Big Picture/Steam installation.

Nemesysbr

Reaction score
Pretty much the same Patrick said: If you're striving for convenience you're probably better off paying someone to build a pc for you than buying a Steam Machine. If you're really hell-bent on building the machine, I suppose it's still better in the long run to just get it, rather than any console, assuming you want to get the most out of your money's worth.

GameCube

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't really know much about this stuff, but I'm assuming you would need a gaming computer to use Steam, or at least use it well. However, some on here are saying that building a PC is better than getting Steam. Nonetheless, how could you play console games on a PC - apart from Steam?

Denis_P

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't really know much about this stuff, but I'm assuming you would need a gaming computer to use Steam, or at least use it well. However, some on here are saying that building a PC is better than getting Steam. Nonetheless, how could you play console games on a PC - apart from Steam?

Steam is an application/service that lets you buy and install video games on your computer. It lets you store and manage your gaming library similarly to how iTunes let's you buy and manage your music.

Now the creators of Steam have created something called a Steam Machine, which is basically little more than a glorified pre-built gaming computer. The problem is that not only is it fairly expensive but you're forced to use their Steam operating system which means you're not going to be running an OS such as Windows which has more uses than just playing video games. This basically just turns it into an overpriced console which only plays games off of the Steam platform.

For the money, it's best to simply build your own gaming computer with Windows and just run the Steam application.

ZXD22

Reaction score
Yea just make your own gaming rig man. With the money invested into a Steam Machine you could create an equally if not more powerful rig than the steam machine for much less money as well. It's a double win situation for you financially and performance wise!

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Now the creators of Steam have created something called a Steam Machine, which is basically little more than a glorified pre-built gaming computer. The problem is that not only is it fairly expensive but you're forced to use their Steam operating system which means you're not going to be running an OS such as Windows which has more uses than just playing video games. This basically just turns it into an overpriced console which only plays games off of the Steam platform.
That's it. Computers have the upper hand over consoles (hardware-wise) because of the freedom you're allowed to have. If you take that away, it's hard to tell the difference between the two. You don't get to decide the OS, nor the hardware configuration and I'm pretty sure you can't change either. I get that not everyone is tech-savvy, but I don't think this is the best way to get started in the PC gaming world.

overcast

Reaction score
I think steam machines would be expensive for many. Not that consoles are not expensive. But steam machine may increase overall cost of the ownership. You'd find people spending lot of money on games. And also the cost of the maintenance of the machine in itself may increase too. So thats why consoles or PC is better.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I think I would still go for the current consoles available. I'm pretty sure the Steam Machine could only run PC games or even fewer I believe. And judging by its name, I'm guessing that the games I could play on that console are only the ones available on Steam. Sure, some of the best games are on steam but you have to take into consideration that a lot of the games there suck like a vacuum cleaner too. I don't think I'll ever consider buying one unless they offer a really good game exclusive to the console.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Steam machines are great if you have a lot of money to spend. You need to spend at least $1200+ to get a decent Steam machine. Otherwise it will preform worse the a current gen console if you buy a cheap Steam machine. Another thin to remember if your going to buy a Steam Machine you need to buy the one with Windows 10. Because the Steam Machine OS is pretty much limited to indie games and AAA games are far and few inbetween.

Yiskah

Reaction score
I am struggling with this also. My kids have been playing online with steam and others for a good part of a year. My son has been nagging me for a console and I like you want to go the most cost effective way. To me online gaming seems the best as they are always online anyway. I also think that just as TV streaming devices and services are edging cable and movie theaters out the door, online gaming is weakening console gaming.