• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

CPU or Graphic Card?

m33kuh

Reaction score
I agree with these 2 ^ geniuses. Definitely go for an i5 and a decent GPU.
But also, don't forget to change your motherboard and add more sticks of ram.

iTommy

Reaction score
Totally the GPU man. It's mainly the GPU that creates most of the frame rates in the rig.
I agreed with you but how to choose a CPU beside a good GPU?
It is should be an average CPU? if not, game can be lagged?

Khalil A

Reaction score
I think that CPU has as function to treat mathematical operations per second. However video games processing isn't the same as simple operations, it doesn't rely essentialy on CPU treatment, it requires high graphic card which is especially made to treat such a different operation which is treating FPS or frame per second. Go for a high performance graphic card !

SuperBugMan

Reaction score
I'm late to the party, but if you haven't ordered anything I'd like to suggest one of the new dual core skylake Pentiums over the i5. Games don't generally take advantage of multithreading, so those two extra cores are not really going to help.

Save the rest for an RX 480 AFTER The mining bubble pops. You'll be able to score the 8GB model under 200 bucks. Runs everything on Ultra at 1080P.

overcast

Reaction score
At the budget of 1200$ You can get i7 processor + 16GB RAM sticks + graphics card. You can adjust one or the other. But overall this can be easily fit. And this configuration can last you around 3-5 years. So you have a good budget for PC configuration. I'd be only get confused with the choice of the graphics cards. Too many good to choose from.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
For cpu I would go with a Intel Core i7-7700K and for gpu I would go with a GeForce GTX 1070 and no less the 16gb of ram. The CPU and GPU will run games on Max settings for the next 2~3years and high settings for the next 3~5 years. I hope that helps you make your decision.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
They're all connected. Can't spoil on other parts while holding back on the rest. But if you gotta choose, get a graphics card. Although the newer ones would have higher demands for processors, which would require newer motherboards, which would require new memory sticks... so all in all, buy everything new, since your old rig is probably outdated by now and a lot of new and better parts have come and gone so you better get them sooner or later.