• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

CPU or Graphic Card?

iTommy

Reaction score
I am having a decent budget around $1200+ and wanted to upgrade my PC case to higher specs next months. My question is, I should focus on spending more money into CPU or Graphic Card? As I know graphic card has its cpu and if I have a good graphic card, I can play more big games out there without any problems. Is it right?

Fuzyon

Reaction score
If you're buying a gaming PC you should focus more on the GPU. If you have $1200 and all the pheripherals then you should look into a GTX 1070/1080 + i7 K + 8-16 GB of RAM and at least a 500W PSU. I can give you a build if you want.

iTommy

Reaction score
If you're buying a gaming PC you should focus more on the GPU
Agree, it is what I thought.
I can give you a build if you want.
Go ahead, I would like to know more details about your recommendations.
Which specs should I choose and which games can i play with the PC that you recommended?

Thanks
Tommy

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Unless your CPU is terribly bad, then focus on your GPU. I've seen people play their games in full FPS using an i5 and a really good GPU and it runs just as well as the i7 did with the same GPU. If you want, you can get a few recipes for the Potato Masher PC build in forums. I think you can get some of them on Youtube too, but I don't know how reliable those are.

m33kuh

Reaction score
May we know what are your computer's specs? It's better to know all of your parts before upgrading.
How much RAM do you have? Do you use SSD? What is your chipset and video card?

iTommy

Reaction score
How much RAM do you have? Do you use SSD? What is your chipset and video card?
8GB of RAM, 4GB page files, SSD drivers, 4CPUs (Intel ) 3.4GHz, Gygabyte mother board, Nivida getforce 2.8GB memory.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Hmm. Your RAM is good, but for most "big games" the ideal RAM is atleast 16GB for the ultra setting satisfaction. It should also be paired with a very decent GPU. I suggest you get a core i5 kabbylake processor, another 8GB of RAM, and a decent 1050 or 1060 GPU.

May I ask what is your power supply sir? Because however good your chipset and videocard is, if your pSU is not reliable, then all your investment will be put to waste.

iTommy

Reaction score
Hmm. Your RAM is good, but for most "big games" the ideal RAM is atleast 16GB for the ultra setting satisfaction. It should also be paired with a very decent GPU. I suggest you get a core i5 kabbylake processor, another 8GB of RAM, and a decent 1050 or 1060 GPU.
I will note this and can up RAM for my PC. Core i5 obviously is better but it should be upgraded when I change the case.
May I ask what is your power supply sir? Because however good your chipset and videocard is, if your pSU is not reliable, then all your investment will be put to waste.

I remembered I bought Cooler Master and the seller said me that its enough to provide electricity for all devices on my PC...so I will not worry about this device.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Definitely, focus on GPU for gaming. Especially, if you want high FPS and the graphics settings on ultra or high. Some of the newer games are so demanding in the graphics department it's crazy. Considering how big your budget is you really shouldn't be having any problems getting really amazing GPU and CPU. $1200 is more than enough money. Even if you decide to divide it evenly, for $600 you have so many amazing options!

Just look at the sites and try to get a good deal.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
Yall forgetting about Bottlenecks

iTommy

Reaction score
Definitely, focus on GPU for gaming
I will keep this advice
Even if you decide to divide it evenly, for $600 you have so many amazing options!

Is there any good name for GPU with the budget $200 to $300? should I choose Nivida getforce or Radeon? which one is better for games?

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
I will keep this advice

Is there any good name for GPU with the budget $200 to $300? should I choose Nivida getforce or Radeon? which one is better for games?

AMD cards pair well with AMD based CPU's. If you have an Intel Card you can go either route, but most choose the Nvidia. Also the way the cards process games should determine which one you want. Some may run games better, some may be better for editing, some better for general purpose work.

peachpurple

Reaction score
8GB of RAM, 4GB page files, SSD drivers, 4CPUs (Intel ) 3.4GHz, Gygabyte mother board, Nivida getforce 2.8GB memory.

Your processor is alright but the Nvidia is too slow for gaming. You should buy a 4Gb or 8GB Nvidia graphic card to enhance the speed. The RAM is sufficient but do make sure you have cooling fans at the back and side of the CPU.

airfightermax

Reaction score
Unless your CPU is terribly bad, then focus on your GPU. I've seen people play their games in full FPS using an i5 and a really good GPU and it runs just as well as the i7 did with the same GPU. If you want, you can get a few recipes for the Potato Masher PC build in forums. I think you can get some of them on Youtube too, but I don't know how reliable those are.
Right, you don't really need to upgrade your processor unless it's that crappy. Your GPU though would be a really important thing to upgrade.Get a high-end GPU and you'll be able to play latest games by up to five years on high settings with a decent framerate. Invest in a good GPU as it would help a you a long way.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I will keep this advice

Of course, Tommy! There's so many graphics card to choose from. Honestly, the actual brand doesn't matter. I have AMD GPU and using i5 and it's fine, never had any issues whatsoever. I do, however, personally prefer the AMD.

I suggest you look at Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, AMD Radeon RX 570, AMD Radeon RX 580, or even the Nvidia GeFroce GTX 1050 Ti would be good enough for current games... these are all under $300.

iTommy

Reaction score
Of course, Tommy! There's so many graphics card to choose from. Honestly, the actual brand doesn't matter. I have AMD GPU and using i5 and it's fine, never had any issues whatsoever. I do, however, personally prefer the AMD.
I don't know how is GPU of AMD but I used chip AMD in the past and some games could not run smoothly with it like Intel.

I suggest you look at Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, AMD Radeon RX 570, AMD Radeon RX 580, or even the Nvidia GeFroce GTX 1050 Ti would be good enough for current games... these are all under $300.
I will try to search there cards on Google and see how they are.
Thanks

m33kuh

Reaction score
I will note this and can up RAM for my PC. Core i5 obviously is better but it should be upgraded when I change the case.
Yep. Core i5 is better but if you can get core i7, it's also fine. But unless you are not doing any heavy rendering, I suggest you go for i5 probably the new generation one.

I remembered I bought Cooler Master and the seller said me that its enough to provide electricity for all devices on my PC...so I will not worry about this device.
Ah. Good then. CoolerMaster is very well-known for it's solid and stable power supplies. Most of it's units are even made for gaming.
I also use a Cooler Master power supply. It's a GX550w Bronze rated.

iTommy

Reaction score
Yep. Core i5 is better but if you can get core i7, it's also fine. But unless you are not doing any heavy rendering, I suggest you go for i5 probably the new generation one.
What is price for core i5?

Ah. Good then. CoolerMaster is very well-known for it's solid and stable power supplies. Most of it's units are even made for gaming.
I also use a Cooler Master power supply. It's a GX550w Bronze rated.
Right, when I bought it, they said it is a good one.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
What is price for core i5?

Depends on the one. For example my older i5 that is great at video rendering/editing and general gaming runs probably now 150$ish I would guess. Modern i5's may be the same price, less, or even more.

Buying an i5 is definitely worth it if you want something a bit cheaper but want still a good kick of power.

Similar to a car. Don't want a 4 Cylinder? Don't want a 8 Cylinder? Go with the 6 Cylinder (equiv. to i5 processor in computer terms). Good advice from people on here about these CPU's.

ZXD22

Reaction score
Totally the GPU man. It's mainly the GPU that creates most of the frame rates in the rig.