• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Are games better with or without clans?

Ghost

Reaction score
Do you think games are better with or without clans? Do you think clans can improve the game? Or do they encourage teaming up on players? For example, if you're a single player in Runescape, you can get owned if you come across a clan in the 'wilderness'.

What is your gameplay style and what do you think of clans in online games?

Jamie

Reaction score
More fun with clans in my opinion, you use better tactics, you're playing with friends, better all around.

jayjacinto

Reaction score
I definitely think games will always be better if you join clans. "No man is an island."! :) Clans can definitely improve your game because it is more fun if you are able to mingle with your team mates, not to mention brainstorming and sharing secrets with them. And more importantly, you can borrow equipment (or money) from them! You will get a lot of support from them.

And about encouraging teams to 'bully' players, its actually the other way around. You will definitely get owned if you come across a team WHENEVER you are ALONE, so why not seek protection by joining a team?

Oklahoma City Thunder

Reaction score
Clans are good and bad in many ways. First off, they start too many arugements, like "My clan is better", "no my clan is better". Also, it's fun to play with your friends though.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
Clans are good and bad in many ways. First off, they start too many arugements, like "My clan is better", "no my clan is better". Also, it's fun to play with your friends though.
That's why you create no drama rules :p

Although it will not solve everything, just remove members who tend to create drama.

Jessi

Reaction score
I love the idea of clans and guilds. I don't always use them and sometimes they can be full of drama (even with 'no drama' rules...those rarely work). I like being able to meet friends that way and hang out for group activities in them.

NecroWolf

Reaction score
I've been in clans off and on since the late 1990s and it's definitely better with clans. I only play first person shooters though and tend to only join clans based on them. I've seen clans come and go and my first ever clan I joined completely fell apart over some stupid crap but that was like 6 years after I joined it. But still while it lasted it was great.

Satelliting

Reaction score
Clans are great for the community. I know there can be some negatives in terms of petty arguments, rivalries that may get out of control, etc., but they are good in the long run. They help that solo gamer become encouraged and feel interactive and included with others (even if they have never physically met). They definitely bridge the gap between mindless gaming, and social interaction and community inclusion.

Alanmwp

Reaction score
I agree, clans are great for the community. Sometimes playing games alone can get boring. There's always a time you end up laughing at your friend when they get frustrated. Personally its keeps the games interesting all the time. Being in a clan is also great because you can then determine the weakness and strengths of each team member. My weakness could be their strengths. Where one is lacking another fills. I think that's what wins matches.

Sino989

Reaction score
I think games are better with clans because it brings teamwork along with the friendship you make within the clans. Some game modes though, clans can get annoying if you're playing against them such as a free for all where they can cheat.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I always enjoyed being part of a clan. When I say a clan, I mean a well-structured community of players that cooperate, talk and do things together/help each other. Ever since I started playing multiplayer games I've been in clans. I don't know why but I dislike not being in one... maybe it's just that I'm used to it. It would feel too lonely being on my own.

I do agree that in some games clans can be annoying and frustrating to play against though. There are too many that like griefing others and exploiting things to their benefits. It's important that you join one that fits your playstyle and personality.

ValX

Reaction score
If you like social interactions inside a game, then of course you'd like the game to have a clan so that you can make even more friends and be close with a lot of ex-strangers. Personally, I think a clan in a game would be useful when it is a co-op game so that you can choose who your friends are or who to fight and discuss about strategies with your clan. But if it is an online game where we play on our own ( like HayDay ), then clans would be just really useless and unnecessary.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
Honestly depends on the game to be honest. Some games I heard like WoW are great to teamup. While others can be enjoyed equally, or sometimes even better when you are by yourself or just in a small party. Everything always comes down to preference or the capability and style of the game.

Empire

Reaction score
More fun if there was clans, More teamwork and more power and able to do more things. If you aren't in a clan it more little hard to get the points and kills that you needed. Yet also depends on the person and the game itself since each person has it ways on playing. No matter what you still can enjoy the game

WarVet

Reaction score
I like the clans and guild idea as long as it's left up to the player to choose who he wants to join. Sometimes there is this compulsory "You need to join a team or else you'll die" thing. In those cases either the player is an outcast from the community because he chose to not join a clan or he is killed or attacked constantly for that. I also would suggest a balancing system to avoid a clan from becoming too strong. This way strong and weak clans can enjoy the game as well as lone gamers.

Ash

Reaction score
If you are particularly good at a game then sometimes it can be a good idea to join a clan. I don't think games are better or worse with clans. It just makes no difference to others except the fact that sometimes in games like COD or Rainbow Six, if you're playing against a clan, then chances are they might be a lot better than your team because they will be used to playing together and will be communicating all the time. Sometimes it is better to be in a clan rather than playing by yourself because players can then help each other, both in game and out of gaming time by giving tips and sharing how they play.

Zyni

Reaction score
I enjoy playing with other people who have similar interests and being part of a team. There is just something about teamwork that makes successes (and sometimes even failures) feel better. I don't mind doing things on my own as well, but it's still nice to have others to chat with while doing my own thing. I just enjoy the camaraderie of being part of a group, so I usually always join a guild.

WarVet

Reaction score
If you are particularly good at a game then sometimes it can be a good idea to join a clan. I don't think games are better or worse with clans. It just makes no difference to others except the fact that sometimes in games like COD or Rainbow Six, if you're playing against a clan, then chances are they might be a lot better than your team because they will be used to playing together and will be communicating all the time. Sometimes it is better to be in a clan rather than playing by yourself because players can then help each other, both in game and out of gaming time by giving tips and sharing how they play.

As long as we're talking about active clan mates, people that are genuinely interested in making the team go forth. I can't remember how many times I've been stuck with inactive and disinterested people who would do nothing to advance our position while a handful of people gave their blood to try and achieve something. I can it can go either way.

Zyni

Reaction score
As long as we're talking about active clan mates, people that are genuinely interested in making the team go forth. I can't remember how many times I've been stuck with inactive and disinterested people who would do nothing to advance our position while a handful of people gave their blood to try and achieve something. I can it can go either way.

That is so true. When our server started losing population, some of the people in our guild just gave up. We could have continued progression for some time yet, but they wouldn't even try. I kind of didn't blame them for getting discouraged, but they were a bit over the top. They stopped showing up, stopped contributing at all, and just hung around whining all the time instead of trying to do something about it that would help keep us all together. It sucked all the fun out of the game, and ruined what little time we had left on our home server.

Thankfully, those gloom and doom types did not join us on our new server. Only the team players did, and we went back to having fun.

WarVet

Reaction score
That is so true. When our server started losing population, some of the people in our guild just gave up. We could have continued progression for some time yet, but they wouldn't even try. I kind of didn't blame them for getting discouraged, but they were a bit over the top. They stopped showing up, stopped contributing at all, and just hung around whining all the time instead of trying to do something about it that would help keep us all together. It sucked all the fun out of the game, and ruined what little time we had left on our home server.

Thankfully, those gloom and doom types did not join us on our new server. Only the team players did, and we went back to having fun.

Yeah, it goes to such an extent where a bad clan can ruin your gaming experience. That is why I prefer games where the choice to join a clan is free. Also, it's helpful when you can try clans before you actually join them without any type of persecution. If things aren't really working in your current clan you can always switch up.