• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Your thoughts on God of War 4 - PS4?

lindbergh

Reaction score
Heeey there, I've been watching the trailer of God of War for the PS4 over and over on YouTube. It's nice that they've added a touch of The Last of Us to this series as it adds more drama and emotions.
We see Kratos baby sitting a young boy and teaching him the basics of hunting. When I say basics, that includes killing monsters and beasts in the process. Ohhh, and aside from his son, God of War also takes on a new mythical world - that of Odin and company. Will we see a clash between Kratos and Thor? I do hope so.

In short, I'm very hyped by this game and I will get it as soon as if comes out of the shelves. What are your thoughts on this game? Do you think that it has the potential to become the best game in the series?

Denis_P

Reaction score
I've been a fan of the God of War series since the very first one, and I've played every installment since then. I absolutely love the new setting and the addition of Norse mythology. However, I can't say I'm a fan of having Kratos acting as a father figure and especially not a fan of having the kid tag along and you having to show him the ropes. It may be good and add a fun new element to the series, but that's just not the kind of gameplay I want from a God of War game.

Also this is going to sound awful, but the kid has such a punchable face too. But with all that said, I'll definitely still be giving it a chance.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Maybe I am a bit sentimental since I am a girl but I actually love watching Kratos showing his other side - more of a fatherly figure. It shows how different he can be and that he isn't a one-dimensional character. Is it weird that it reminds me of the start of the Horizon Zero Dawn? Where Rost teaches Aloy the ropes of hunting and sneaking?

I definitely agree that this isn't what I'd originally imagined from God of War 4 just based on the previous titles. I neve saw Kratos as a father really. More of a bash and kill, smash sort of guy :D

However, I am very interested and intrigued to see where the story takes us. I will for sure get this game - probably not right at its release but on one of the discounts.

thart

Reaction score
Good thing the new voice actor sounds almost exactly like T.C Carson. i was so hoping this would come out this year, maybe even September or something. I waited this long, I might as well wait another 9 months.. but it won't be enjoyable.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
One word - amazing. I think the new installment would be great, but I can't resist this feeling that Kratos is going to die soon just like Logan in the last Wolverine movie. I mean, it would just make sense for him to die too and have his son to be the next protagonist in the franchise. For all we know, his son could be an even better character than him. I do hope I'm wrong about Kratos dying though, I love the character so much.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I thought it looked great. The beard adds a badass factor when it comes to video game characters. I hope they port it to the PC though because the game is good, but I wouldn't buy a new console just for one game. I won't buy a flat screen TV for one game. I won't rearrange my stuff to make room for those items just for one game. They should port it to the PC so they can reach more people with their games in my opinion.

Maxthewriter

Reaction score
This game might be the reason I'll I'll be changing my game genre to action. I like everything I see in the trailer. The storyline has been polished better, and kratos looks even more real on ps4.

Let's just wait and see what the real game will be like. I have my fingers crossed.

lindbergh

Reaction score
One word - amazing. I think the new installment would be great, but I can't resist this feeling that Kratos is going to die soon just like Logan in the last Wolverine movie. I mean, it would just make sense for him to die too and have his son to be the next protagonist in the franchise. For all we know, his son could be an even better character than him. I do hope I'm wrong about Kratos dying though, I love the character so much.
You have a good point here. Are you a writer for one of the game companies? Kratos dying in this game would have a huge impact to gamers (just like what happened in the last GoW) and would also open doors to a whole lot of new possibilities for the franchise.

I don't really like Kratos that much though because he murdered some of my favorite gods. Therefore I wouldn't mind him dying in this game for real this time. And I wouldn't mind seeing a new protagonist in the series for a change.

Still, I'm pumped up by this game. I know it will be awesome. Let the waiting game begin!

WildSpirit

Reaction score
I'm very impressed with the result, very awesome! :wink: It looks like it will be something revolutionary (and in fact, they never disappoint the real fans, right? :sweatsmile:).

I love God of War franchise. :smile:

Jameson

Reaction score
Definitely it is great build up on the God of War franchise, and this one is going to get a lot of people glued to their controls all day and all night.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I think the narrative is really good. I've enjoyed the themes and interpretations of Greek mythology through this series and the shift to other mythologies is a welcome change. Having said that, I'm very lukewarm about this title. No matter what coat of paint you put on it, it's still a beat-em-up. It doesn't look bad, but after years of playing God of War titles I'm not exactly going to be standing in line outside my local Gamestop to grab it day one. This will definitely be a year-later, GOTY for $30 purchase for me.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
It looks nice and Kratos look, on a character side, way different than the previous games...
Sadly, my last owned console was the PS1 so I never managed to play the third chapter, just the first two. I loved them but honestly I have no idea what the conclusion of that story is.
This one looks nice, and if I ever buy a PS4 I'll probably try it out after the God of War 3 remastered.
One thing no one commented about is the change of setting! Norse mythology? It's pretty cool, there are not many games about that!

arachnophobik

Reaction score
You have a good point here. Are you a writer for one of the game companies? Kratos dying in this game would have a huge impact to gamers (just like what happened in the last GoW) and would also open doors to a whole lot of new possibilities for the franchise.

I don't really like Kratos that much though because he murdered some of my favorite gods. Therefore I wouldn't mind him dying in this game for real this time. And I wouldn't mind seeing a new protagonist in the series for a change.

Still, I'm pumped up by this game. I know it will be awesome. Let the waiting game begin!

Thanks, and I could only wish that I was a writer for the game LOL. But it just reminds me of the Logan movie, it seems to embrace that brutal and amazing action with a touch of family. But true, I think it would be nice to have a new protagonist in the game. Kratos was great for me, but who knows, maybe they could give us someone even better! Although I'm not so sure how far can they go with this god-killing plot after they finish Norse Mythology.

JoeMilford

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of this franchise, but I have not yet played the new one--I am totally intrigued by the Norse mythology angle, though--I love the Norse pantheon, so this really has me interested enough to buy this game at this point--

SeanP

Reaction score
Heeey there, I've been watching the trailer of God of War for the PS4 over and over on YouTube. It's nice that they've added a touch of The Last of Us to this series as it adds more drama and emotions.
We see Kratos baby sitting a young boy and teaching him the basics of hunting. When I say basics, that includes killing monsters and beasts in the process. Ohhh, and aside from his son, God of War also takes on a new mythical world - that of Odin and company. Will we see a clash between Kratos and Thor? I do hope so.

In short, I'm very hyped by this game and I will get it as soon as if comes out of the shelves. What are your thoughts on this game? Do you think that it has the potential to become the best game in the series?

Sony's deviation from the God of War "norm" is strange, but not unwelcome. Honestly, I think it is a noble risk to take such a surefire franchise and turn it on its head like they are doing with the fourth installment. Sony could have played it safe and stuck with the formula that was so successful in the first three entries, but 4's gameplay looks like a great way of changing up the series without pulling it too far from its central theme. I'm wondering how much of an emphasis Kratos' son will have throughout the game. Will the two be together for most of it?

I'm also hoping for a clash with Thor. I think the mythologic aspect of God of War is its most defining characteristic.

StolenKid

Reaction score
It looks promising, I think it could make a good game, the story is engaging and the chemistry between Kratos and the boy is really believable, and it feels like a fresh game without the need of rebooting or remaking it, I think it looks pretty good and I'm hyped for it.