• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Xbox to go digital?

Hidden308

Reaction score
It has been rumored that the next-gen Xbox will go digital with sales and not allow for re-used games. This would inquire that there will be one-time use game codes just like there are on PC games.

Thoughts?

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
What exactly do you mean "re-used games"? Not exactly understanding what this topic is about D:

death180

Reaction score
You can't play a game, then bring it into gamespot and sell it. You also can't pick up used games. Once someone plays it, it's theirs for life.

Frankly I could care less, PC games have been like that for over a decade and it hasn't had that much of an impact. Though I wouldn't trust it unless it was Steam.

Hidden308

Reaction score
Well this is for Xbox. And what I mean is that Gamestop will no longer sell used Xbox games and same with online stores, as Death180 said.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Ah, I see; so like a steam for Xbox? Well, I think it will definitely impact their sales, and if they make it so they are the only ones who sell it it will really impact their sales. All in all: not a fan of the idea.

rcturbos

Reaction score
I think they will do it TBH.. It would just tottaly make sense I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it really happens.

Hidden308

Reaction score
Yeah it's like a Steam for Xbox. I think it could go either way in sales, knowing that people have to buy a new game instead of used games.

death180

Reaction score
Ah, I see; so like a steam for Xbox? Well, I think it will definitely impact their sales, and if they make it so they are the only ones who sell it it will really impact their sales. All in all: not a fan of the idea.

It will hurt GameStop but Microsoft will only benefit from it. They will take a share of the money everytime someone buys the game off the digital store, unlike now with retail copies they don't make money off of used games. That's where retailers benefit.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
It will hurt GameStop but Microsoft will only benefit from it. They will take a share of the money everytime someone buys the game off the digital store, unlike now with retail copies they don't make money off of used games. That's where retailers benefit.
Exactly, and in turn where they benefit, we benefit, giving us very cheap games :)

Hidden308

Reaction score
It's actually been rumored that the next-gen Xbox won't even have a disk drive!?

Gamrpro

Reaction score
I know I heard about that too Joe. That is quite interesting! I can't wait to see how everything plays out. :D