• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Will PC Gaming Overtake Consoles

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I honestly dont think its a matter of will PC's over take gaming consoles. I think the better question is will cell phones and tablets overtake PC and Console gaming. Cell phone technology is evolving at a rapid pace and all of the AAA developers are working on games for Android and IOS.

As it is right now I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and I have the Samsung Hdmi adaptor and I can play Minecraft in 4k on my 4k tv with a wireless controller. And its 100% lag free and plays perfectly! I know its probably a upscale 4k but its still 4k. Just imagine where cell phone technology is going to be 5+ years from now.

LydiaHilda

Reaction score
I'm not sure. Consoles have a lot of exclusive games, like pretty much everything Nintendo, and companies are probably going to try and keep selling their consoles for as long as possible since they're expensive and they can make a lot of money from revamping and updating them. That being said, I absolutely prefer playing games on a PC because the games just seem to run better and it's less hardware that I have to keep around the house. The market will probably drive people to PC gaming eventually, since for the most part, it's something people already own and it makes gaming a little more affordable, as long as you're not dropping thousands on an expensive gaming rig.

ZXD22

Reaction score
No PC gaming won't overtake consoles completely but it will I think get more popular to the point where it could be more profitable for companies to move over to the PC gaming industry rather than the console gaming side.

DenisHero

Reaction score
Maybe,but it looks like smartphone gaming is coming close.Many people are playing Android games on PC,using Emulator software.
Games industry went just ahead in the very last years.Not sure how its going to turn out soon,but we can be sure about the fact that we'll never get stucked in a game.Tons of games,a lot of varieties to choose from.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Economically, PC gaming has already done so. Just look at Valve's reported financial growth. More people are flocking to the PC industry due to the convenience of digital distribution, the great pricing on games, the superior performance and graphical prowess on an appropiate machine, and other factors. It's also important to consider that pretty much everyone owns a PC in this day and age. PC gaming won't phase consoles out of existence any time soon (and I hope they don't, as both are a different type of experience to the other, kind of like apples and oranges), but I'm pretty sure it's already overtaken console gaming for all extents and purposes.
The sale price of games are now the same on consoles and PC. So there no longer is a advantage of owning a PC and buying games on sale. The really only advantage is KB & Mouse gameplay. Because those 4k gaming consoles have graphics on par with a high end gaming PC. Don't get me wrong PC graphics are slightly better. But there not worth spending another $1k just to have slightly better graphics.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Maybe,but it looks like smartphone gaming is coming close.Many people are playing Android games on PC,using Emulator software.
Games industry went just ahead in the very last years.Not sure how its going to turn out soon,but we can be sure about the fact that we'll never get stucked in a game.Tons of games,a lot of varieties to choose from.
Smartphone technology is advancing at a rapid pace. (My Samsung S8+ is a lot more powerful than my 4 year old Dell) And because of that every AAA game publisher under the sun is working on AAA games for Smartphones.

I have a Samsung USB-C to hdmi adaptor and I can broadcast my smartphone games to my 49' 4k TV and it broadcasts the games in 4k @60fps. And I can use a Xbox One S controller to play the games. It's only a matter of time before smart phones start replacing PC & console gaming. Pretty soon your going to be able to buy the same game on your smartphone, PC or console. And I bet that's going to happen in the next 5~10 years tops!

Sunlyte

Reaction score
Pretty soon your going to be able to buy the same game on your smartphone, PC or console. And I bet that's going to happen in the next 5~10 years tops!
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I've never thought about that. That could be a possibility, however smartphones definitely have a long way to go before they can reach replacing PCs & consoles completely as ways to play some games. That would definitiely be pretty cool though. Imagine just bringing your phone and some controllers to a TV and being able to play Rocket League or Mario or something like that. That'd be dope.

overcast

Reaction score
The current context makes it look like that PC gaming is taking over the consoles. The reason being nobody wants to spend extra money on consoles. Besides tablet gaming is taking control as well. And there are many other good games coming out. So I think we are in era where things are shifting from traditional consoles.

peachpurple

Reaction score
PC games are always updating the version every year. New pc games are mushrooming and FREE to download that they are growing more popular and available in smartphone, Ipad, laptop or TV as long as the gadgets are connected online. Consoles may stay longer if the price is lower than the original PC games. In my opinion, PC games are getting popular even for old folks and toddlers.

airfightermax

Reaction score
Consoles will not die for a really long time. It will exist coinciding with PC gaming.

Because, there are a lot of people that only wants to play without the need of setting it up. Yeah, you would need to set up consoles too, but when compared to setting up a PC, setting up consoles is way easier.

People want something that just works, and that's where consoles come in.

kgord

Reaction score
I don't think it will take over gaming consoles. There are people who just game on the PC and that is it, and those who game on consoles. I don't think it is a mutually exclusive group. I just see it as something that people do who don't want or can't afford a game console.

Strelitzia

Reaction score
Honestly this is the age of PC gaming if you take into account of smartphones as well. In the 90's when computers weren't as cheap and as prevalent in households, consoles ruled because they were cheaper than getting a PC. Now in 2017 where a half decent computer can be purchased for about $400 and Steam's existence as well as smartphones, there's a larger overall marketplace of PC related gaming than consoles. Each has their place of course but I think that PC gaming has outstripped consoles in part because PC prices have come down, console prices have gone up and with the advent of Steam and smartphones, development has become much more open to the general public for a wider range of games to be developed vs. being controlled by specific platforms.

sima061

Reaction score
Probably not entirely because of console-exclusive content, but to some extent, surely. I personally always preferred PC gaming.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I am not sure that this will happen even in the future. I used to play only PC games long ago but since some times I have been playing games on my PlayStation only. I find it to be more convenient. My friends also play PlayStation games and it is easier for us to exchange the games with one another.

augusta

Reaction score
I see same too.Personally I don't like playing on consoles I prefer my laptop and I enjoy it better.There are so many computer games for my playing pleasure.So yes it would soon take over.