• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Will PC Gaming Overtake Consoles

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
I think Womack summed it up for us.

But I think majority of you forgot to mention that a PC doesn't have the membership fee associated with it that PS and XBOX now does. That honestly made me sell my XBOX 360 in the first place because I had to buy it if I wanted to play Black Ops 1 multiplayer lol.

Sino989

Reaction score
I don't think that PC gaming will take over console just because so many people are loyal console players. Plus good gaming PCs cost a lot more money than a console does so I think more people are attracted to play console more because of this.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Yes, pc gaming has a good shot on being superior in the gaming business. Graphics are better. Its more versatile because you can play any game with any pc. Unlike console gaming, one game may be available to ps but not with xbox. And best part of pc games is, some games are free. You can search a free download app online, install that bad boy and your ready to go.

Empire

Reaction score
This has been on going for years regards to PC or console and yet it's still talking about what is best and whatnot.
  • If you have $5K then get an desktop as it will beat it all regards to hardware and gaming on high settings. Yet PC Wins
  • If you want to game yet you have an very low budget of under $500 then get an Xbox or PlayStation since it will be hard to get the hardware needed to play the games on PC.
  • As for me I'm an PC gamer and so I go with PC no matter what
Yet PC will still beat by an good amount if you have the money for an very good system that able to stream and record. Also there are allot more PC games that you can mod for as other platform is not so easy unless you are smart

lexcion

Reaction score
Consoles will always have a significant fan-base but PC gaming is where the real fun is at. It probably won't take over though since most people wouldn't want to build their own PC or want to download games off Steam when they can just buy a hard copy from GameStop or something.

kenoobie

Reaction score
In my personal opinion PC gaming will always be ahead as the hardware easily evolves and cpu get much faster and more powerful. What console could do is release a better version of the console until a new console is released. Console exclusive games is one of the way to reward people who bought their console and be more competitive against other consoles.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think it's a matter of the age group in the gaming community. Younger ones would prefer controllers over keyboards, while older gamers would like PC games since they can play AND do their work all in one device. I personally have been a PC gamer since I was a kid, and I have always preferred the controls of keyboard and mouse over the console controller, solely for the accuracy of the mouse is leagues ahead of the analog sticks and direction buttons combined.

missionreport

Reaction score
Since when did consoles overtake PC's anyway? There are lots of internet cafe's in our locality and I literally haven't seen any console gaming cafe's anywhere. Console sales and nowhere close to pc sales. PC's can be for more than just gaming. And consoles, will only be used for gaming. So while consoles are expensive, they can't be used for anything else. Let's say PC's will cost you right about the same but it can be used for plenty of purposes.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
Naah, it wont happen. There are too many exclusive titles which makes it impossible to think about consoles dying. In fact I hate it so much when they release a console specific game. There is less piracy and stuff, true, but that is just a lame excuse. In general I would say that companies are either lazy about making it available on all platforms or they are used to making exclusives and its easier to work on 1 thing than on multiple others.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Naah, it wont happen. There are too many exclusive titles which makes it impossible to think about consoles dying. In fact I hate it so much when they release a console specific game. There is less piracy and stuff, true, but that is just a lame excuse. In general I would say that companies are either lazy about making it available on all platforms or they are used to making exclusives and its easier to work on 1 thing than on multiple others.
Yup; console exclusives are the reason why I can't play newer games of a franchise because I didn't follow the story. Metal Gear Solid 4 is a console exclusive, and since I played Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater, I don't want to jump straight to MGS5 since it's available to the PC. It's frustrating because it's just one game in the franchise that I haven't played. Tekken too has an exclusive with T6 (for the PS3/4 I think), so I had to jump straight to Tekken 7, and had to read stuff online about T6's story.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Since when did consoles overtake PC's anyway? There are lots of internet cafe's in our locality and I literally haven't seen any console gaming cafe's anywhere. Console sales and nowhere close to pc sales. PC's can be for more than just gaming. And consoles, will only be used for gaming. So while consoles are expensive, they can't be used for anything else. Let's say PC's will cost you right about the same but it can be used for plenty of purposes.
A standard PC can still be cheaper than a console, so most shops have them instead of consoles. Arcades in malls may have PS4s in their gallery, but that's only because they can afford the games and the console, as well as repairs and the accessories. For PC, you just get a set and it will stay fine unless you overuse it, so it's a more economic way of playing games that you like.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
People have been saying this for the past 10 years, probably, and the answer is still a big nope. They both have pros and cons that will lead gamers to choose either (or both): consoles are easier to set up and require no technical knowledge, they have exclusive titles that make the most out of their features, they can also be portable and they appeal to a larger audience (ranging from kids to middle-aged people); PCs, on the other hand, don't require an initial investment (unless you want a full-fledged gaming rig), have access to a much larger library that stacks over the years and, most of all, they have way cheaper games.

Neither will overcome the other simply because there is no right choice.

WarVet

Reaction score
It's actually becoming a heated debate on many forums as to whether or not PC gaming will eventually overtake console gaming.

I believe it will someday. Not anytime in the near future, but the PC is superior in gaming in literally all aspects ranging from graphics to the size of communities. There are more PC games and more people that play them than all consoles combined, and I think it will continue to be that way and grow.

What are your thoughts?
Take over completely I don't think so. Even if PCs managed to kill all consoles they would invent a new one just to keep trying. It's just how the market works. A product gets taken down three others come in its place.Still, what I think might happen pretty soon is PC gaming getting stronger and stronger with more ports and emulators and at the same time the consoles getting less and less exclusive. Keep in mind that no matter what console we're talking about fanboyism will continue to exist.

Zyni

Reaction score
I have to side with others who have stated that there is a market for both. I think that will continue. Some prefer one platform over the other, and some love both. I can play either, but I do prefer my PC. My youngest daughter prefers her console. We both play both, sometimes together. She'll jump on the computer and do battlegrounds with me in WoW, and I'll get on the console and play some games with her.

Both are good in their own way. Both have their pros and cons.

WarVet

Reaction score
I have to side with others who have stated that there is a market for both. I think that will continue. Some prefer one platform over the other, and some love both. I can play either, but I do prefer my PC. My youngest daughter prefers her console. We both play both, sometimes together. She'll jump on the computer and do battlegrounds with me in WoW, and I'll get on the console and play some games with her.

Both are good in their own way. Both have their pros and cons.

Precisely. And no matter how good or how bad a console is there will always be fanboys, die hard fans who will continue buying games and updates just for the sake of loyalty. Take Nintendo for instance. Some people love it some people hate it butI'd never buy a Wii because I like adult games. Nonetheless, Mario and Zelda fans will continue to buy their games, even if it's just remastered versions with no actual new content for the sake of "Oh it's a "new" Mario game.!"

valy

Reaction score
Actually I play on both on consoles and on my PC. It is true that my PC is and will remain my favorite I must admit that sometimes I become melancholic and I play on consoles. I believe that PC gaming have dethroned the consoles using long time ago!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Actually I play on both on consoles and on my PC. It is true that my PC is and will remain my favorite I must admit that sometimes I become melancholic and I play on consoles. I believe that PC gaming have dethroned the consoles using long time ago!
Or go the middle ground and play the PC with a controller. There are games I admit that really require a controller, such as sports games, racing games, and fighting games; that's why I got a DS4 which perfectly syncs with Steam and my PC. So it's a win-win and a best of both worlds situation for me.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
It will happen, I think in 5-7 years. Consoles are running out of ideas for improvements, console games are being made into PC versions too. PC is powerful enough to handle console games, so I think it might happen soon.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
PC gaming will never take over consoles because graphics aren't everything. Consoles have exclusive games that I only wish I could play on PC without using an emulator. Most emulators would run some games at half speed too because emulation needs a really strong processor. And I don't really like being late when it comes to games, so I don't think it would be practical for me to wait around 5-7 years for a PS4 emulator on PC.

Ash

Reaction score
PC Gaming is extremely popular but it will never overtake consoles because of the casual gamers. Most people that play on consoles do not care too much about graphics or modding so for them a PS4 or a Xbox One is perfect for them. They don't want to complicate things by having to check out the specs for laptops or desktops to decide whether it can run a certain game or not. They just want to buy a console and then be able to play their favourite games on it. Most people tend to game on PC because of the ability to mod their games which I'm sure a lot of console gamers just don't prioritise.