• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Wii U to cost ~$383

Hidden308

Reaction score
From http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/04/e3-2012-wii-u-price-will-be-30000-yen-says-nikkei

UPDATE
Nintendo has issued a statement, as translated by Andriasang, denying Nikkei's report, claiming the story is "full of mistakes" and is "nothing more than conjecture."
We'll see if any part of Nikkei's reporting is true tomorrow at 9am PT!
ORIGINAL STORY
Japanese news giant Nikkei almost always get a major scoop or two on Nintendo's plans the day before the company's E3 press conference each year, and this year appears to be no different – the paper is reporting that it knows the Wii U launch price.
30,000 yen. That converts to about $383 in U.S. dollars, £249 in British pounds or €306 Euros, by today's exchange rates.
The information comes to us via Andriasang, responsible for translating the original report. According to them, Nikkei's sources for stating this price point are unclear – the paper could have received an inside tip, or it could simply be throwing out a likely number.
It may be a while before we find out whether this price report turns out to be accurate or not, though, as Nintendo has previously stated that no information on price or other details of the Wii U launch will be discussed at this year's E3.

Hidden308

Reaction score
Wii U the name itself sounds pretty dumb if you ask me. Is this one of the next-gen consoles? The controller from the screenshot looked like a DS, but just with only 1 screen. lol

Hidden308

Reaction score
I actually don't think it is a next-gen console.

And I know, it sounds like a dumb name.

Lug

Reaction score
WOW, at the price I will spend my money on something else. Anyone know what titles are coming our and what is the release date in the UK?

Hidden308

Reaction score
No idea. I don't think they have released any info about that yet.

Screlx

Reaction score
I honestly think the Wii U will be pointless. Seeing as there's the Kinetic, there's no use. Plus, the game quality and entertainment is horrible. I personally received the Wii for Christmas, and I didn't play it but for that day. So, I will not be getting the Wii U.

Casper001

Reaction score
I will not be buying the Wii U new myself. One it sounds like a ambulance "Wii U Wii U Wii U". And $383 Not worth it for something that is just a glorified Wii.

Hidden308

Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't give it a name change. That's a heartbreaker.