• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Why do I need to have a steam account to play a game?

iTommy

Reaction score
When I bought a game and installed it on my PC and when I tried to play it then it required me a steam account to play a game. If that, I need to connect to internet to play and I may not want that. I don't know why I need to have a steam account to play a game? can anyone explain me?

Matt6868

Premium Member
Premium
Reaction score
Steam is a platform to hold and run the games on your PC unless you bought them yourself and have the disc you use steam. Steam is a great platform that has modding thousands of games.. and a great community.

iTommy

Reaction score
unless you bought them yourself and have the disc you use steam
I don't understand this.
can you elaborate it?
I only want to play games like I installed and open it to play without signing into any account or needing a internet connection.

Matt6868

Premium Member
Premium
Reaction score
I don't understand this.
can you elaborate it?
I only want to play games like I installed and open it to play without signing into any account or needing a internet connection.
Steam is how u play 99% of the games on PC unless you buy the hardcopy at a real store. You can be "offline" while on steam

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
Steam is how u play 99% of the games on PC unless you buy the hardcopy at a real store. You can be "offline" while on steam

As Matt was saying you can play steam "offline" and not have to use the games internet function. HOWEVER, your game will require you to go on a web browser and create an account for Steam so your game to sync to it.

ZXD22

Reaction score
You need an account in order to sync data from your games.

kenoobie

Reaction score
You do not have to always be connected to the internet to play the game you bought if it is a single player game. Install steam and create an account. I do not think there is any downside to it except that you need to have an internet connection when you install steam, and steam is a great platform to get free games.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so quick to knock Steam. When I first bought my physical copy of Counter-Strike: Source, I had to install Steam to run it as well. Back then I thought to myself, "What is this trash? I just want to install my game and play it, that's it!" While it seemed annoying at first, Steam turned out to be one of the best things to happen to me. Not only is it a neat way to keep your gaming library organized, but the sales on there are crazy! Also, unless the developer specifically designs a game that way, you don't need to be online to play your Steam games. You can be offline, so long as the game has an offline mode.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
Most PC games nowadays use Steam as a platform. I believe this is a great help if you intend to have multiple game son your PC but worry about the availability of some because you use different computers. The easy access to customer support in Steam provides me comfort of security, knowing that if anytime a problem arises, I could ask for help through Steam.