• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Where do you purchase your hardware?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I have never tried purchasing out of the country. I'm very skeptical, maybe because I haven't tried buying pc parts from other stores instead of the ones in our country. I bought my rig and it's parts from a big computer store somewhere in the north part of our country.
I agree. There's no guarantee that the item will arrive to you 100% fine, since it can get damaged by the mail delivery, or you get sent a defective item to begin with. Warranties are what I'm after when buying new items. It's all about a guarantee that they will replace any broken item that I will receive. That's why I only buy locally. I help out their shops while I get a guarantee that their product is either what they advertised, or I could replace them for a new one if it didn't meet my demands.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Indeed. One thing that discourages me off though when I am planning to buy an item internationally is the warranty itself. I mean, you have been waiting for the item to arrive right? Then it arrived defective or broken or not the right one, so you'll eventually have to return it. Now you will go through the process of filling up forms to your local post office or wherever is that. Then there's the payment, and the waiting game again. Sucks mate.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Seriously considering buying a cooling system at the moment, along with a 1070 but apparently it's out of stock. Lots of miners out there using it for bitcoin so apparently the world's gaming needs are at a halt because most would rather use their graphics cards for mining instead of actual gaming, Well I can't really argue with that, huh?

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I purchase keyboards and mice in Datablitz. It's sort of like our version of Gamestop here in my country. But when it comes to CPU, Monitors, etc., I buy them in this city that is well known for having cheap prices on good computer hardware. Lots of them are used though, so you just have to choose wisely and see if it functions correctly. If you know how to play your cards right, it would be a great experience.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I have been buying from NewEgg since 2008 and I use to buy solely from them. But now since NewEgg is not the cheapest in town anymore I find myself searching the internet for better prices. In my opinion NewEgg just got too greedy and it's not worth shopping there anymore when you can find deals at other online stores. 99% of the time I now buy from Walmart online (Yes they sell computer parts) or I buy from Amazon.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Seriously considering buying a cooling system at the moment, along with a 1070 but apparently it's out of stock. Lots of miners out there using it for bitcoin so apparently the world's gaming needs are at a halt because most would rather use their graphics cards for mining instead of actual gaming, Well I can't really argue with that, huh?
Just wait until you become unlucky and fry your whole unit without even knowing where the hell it came from. Bitcoing mining has it's own recommended system now.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
I wish we had something like NewEgg here in Romania since they seem like a good company. I personally buy stuff from some of our local shops here called eMag and PC Garage, both reputable companies with excellent customer support.

fireball916

Reaction score
I usually go wherever is the least expensive which is usually Newegg or Amazon. If it's a part for my older computer I'll sometimes go on eBay to get it used. If you're a total cheapskate and are willing to be patient for a sale like me, a site called camelcamelcamel is really valuable. It allows you to see a bunch of information on the price history and what the lowest price has been for an item on Amazon. You can also set up price alerts so if it drops past a certain amount it will email/notify you. Super useful site.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Just wait until you become unlucky and fry your whole unit without even knowing where the hell it came from. Bitcoing mining has it's own recommended system now.
There was a "boom" period recently where tons of people started buying up graphics cards to mine bitcoin. But since more people mined for them, the source also went down, and the profits were cut in half. Now people have expensive rigs they recently bought just for mining, then found out that because everyone else did it, they'll have to make double the time it would have taken if they mined before everyone else did it. Yikes, I wouldn't want to be those guys with their new useless rigs. Just flushing money down the toilet if you ask me.

peachpurple

Reaction score
In Malaysia, you can buy computer hardware and accessories at the local computer shops but the price are very competitive and expensive, sometimes no stock at all, had to put a deposit for order of hardware. Now, I order hardware online from 1 streets or Lazada. There are various computer shops that sell low price hardware and accessories online with good after sales service and the delivery was the next day by courier. Don't have to worry about the warranty. You can send back the faulty hardware to them and get replacement as usual.

m33kuh

Reaction score
There was a "boom" period recently where tons of people started buying up graphics cards to mine bitcoin. But since more people mined for them, the source also went down, and the profits were cut in half. Now people have expensive rigs they recently bought just for mining, then found out that because everyone else did it, they'll have to make double the time it would have taken if they mined before everyone else did it. Yikes, I wouldn't want to be those guys with their new useless rigs. Just flushing money down the toilet if you ask me.
Right. I just hope that it won't happen again, the same thing that happened before about bitcoin mining. It's price to the market went absurdly all time low. And a few months and years it went back high again. Now I believe the price for each coin is very high. 1 BTC is what, $2,000? I am not anymore following Bitcoin Mining. I don't want to get tempt. And even if I do, I still can't afford to lose my rig. Or buy a new one.

WarVet

Reaction score
Right. I just hope that it won't happen again, the same thing that happened before about bitcoin mining. It's price to the market went absurdly all time low. And a few months and years it went back high again. Now I believe the price for each coin is very high. 1 BTC is what, $2,000? I am not anymore following Bitcoin Mining. I don't want to get tempt. And even if I do, I still can't afford to lose my rig. Or buy a new one.

I have always wanted to know more about the subject. How does exactly it works? can it really be turned into a profitable business?

m33kuh

Reaction score
I have always wanted to know more about the subject. How does exactly it works? can it really be turned into a profitable business?
It's not really complicated as to what you might think. From what I understand, Bitcoin is a crytocurrency or a virtual currency which can be acquired from trading with other users, buying from other users or wherever it's sold, and the most common way is by MINING it. Hence the term, bitcoin mining. Before, bitcoin mining was at breeze because there were a few people who use it. Bitcoin mining is like an algorithm of some sort, where in you computer will be forced to work at it's full power in order to solve complex equations or problems (from what I've understand). And today, there are a lot of miners in bitcoin thus it's becoming really hard to mine coins. You also have to have a custom built computer specifically for bitcoin mining. Bitcoin mining is purely GPU intensive. There are a lot of explanations also in YouTube or other websites.

Also, do not get shocked when you stumble upon an article or a news or a video, showing a whole building dedicated for bitcoin mining. I heard in some part of China I think, there were slaves in a factory where they operate the bitcoin mining thing and it's brutal.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I would love to buy the hardware from a physical store around me but our offers are so bad. Not only that they don't have half of the hardware parts that you'd look for, the pricing is horrible. The prices that they've put on certain components can be up to 2-3x times higher than regular. Don't ask me why.

That's why I always sort of ''have'' to result to ordering online. Luckily, we have an online shop that is located in my country that sells and orders anything you want. They often have discounts so I love ordering there when I am looking for new hardware. I never had any problems so far. Fingers crossed that it stays that way :)

WarVet

Reaction score
It's not really complicated as to what you might think. From what I understand, Bitcoin is a crytocurrency or a virtual currency which can be acquired from trading with other users, buying from other users or wherever it's sold, and the most common way is by MINING it. Hence the term, bitcoin mining. Before, bitcoin mining was at breeze because there were a few people who use it. Bitcoin mining is like an algorithm of some sort, where in you computer will be forced to work at it's full power in order to solve complex equations or problems (from what I've understand). And today, there are a lot of miners in bitcoin thus it's becoming really hard to mine coins. You also have to have a custom built computer specifically for bitcoin mining. Bitcoin mining is purely GPU intensive. There are a lot of explanations also in YouTube or other websites.

Also, do not get shocked when you stumble upon an article or a news or a video, showing a whole building dedicated for bitcoin mining. I heard in some part of China I think, there were slaves in a factory where they operate the bitcoin mining thing and it's brutal.

Oh damn! I had heard about bitcoin mining before but I did not think that it required that much of your PC nor that you to configure it especially for that. It seems all good ways to make money these days are overrun :(

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah there's a good chance you'll be buying a lot of expensive graphics cards because they keep dying out. I wanted to try it but I saw the profit for my graphics card (1060) was about $2 per day. lol no thanks, I think I'll just keep playing with my PC. Definitely not worth it when you consider the electricity, the fact that you can't use your PC for gaming while it is mining, and it's just $2 per day meaning you are risking your card for small profit when replacing it would cost a ton.

overcast

Reaction score
Amazon had Prime day yesterday so I purchased some electronics and hardware stuff yesterday. And had some good time in that case with the prices. You can't beat the price of the Amazon Prime service. You can get similar price from the newegg too. But that happens kind of rarely every year.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Oh damn! I had heard about bitcoin mining before but I did not think that it required that much of your PC nor that you to configure it especially for that. It seems all good ways to make money these days are overrun :(
True. :'( Unless you are a rich kid and you can afford to fry your whole computer system (except for the peripherals) then I suggest you invest on Bitcoin Mining. Because if ever you reach 5 Bitcoins in just a month or lesser, you are on your way to richness kingdom.

Yeah there's a good chance you'll be buying a lot of expensive graphics cards because they keep dying out. I wanted to try it but I saw the profit for my graphics card (1060) was about $2 per day. lol no thanks, I think I'll just keep playing with my PC. Definitely not worth it when you consider the electricity, the fact that you can't use your PC for gaming while it is mining, and it's just $2 per day meaning you are risking your card for small profit when replacing it would cost a ton.
Lmfao. 2$ per day? And what if your gpu gets friend on the first week? And if you decide to farm bitcoins for like let's say 5 hours per day, it's still not worth it. Imagine how much electricity bill you are consuming by just mining full throttle.

Do not ever use your computer while you are mining. Lol.

rockandgreen

Reaction score
I am not sure but I highly recommend not going to Currys and PC world as they had a clerk who offered us insane advice that was totally incorrect and lead us to take a really bad deal. I am not willing to go to any big brand "clone" shops for any hardware shopping. Just get it really cheap online for a fraction of the price without the misleading offers.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I always try to purchase from the store with the best price. Prices rarely vary by more than five dollars at this point unless you're talking about used hardware. I do consider used equipment, especially if it's for a console I'm buying as a secondary machine for a few exclusives, but of course I expect to be able to give it the once over myself before I commit to a purchase. Because of this I only purchase used consoles from a brick and mortar store who has accommodating staff. As a rule, I try to avoid Gamestop because I strongly dislike the influence they've had on the industry and I firmly believe in not rewarding shifty business practices. I vote with my wallet.