• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Where do you buy games?

jeffreyk

Reaction score
Most of my games are from Steam, however I've just been trying to buy from the sites that have the best deals at the time. Other than Steam, I find myself typically buying games from Humble Bundles or nuuvem.

Kaitara

Reaction score
If a game is on Steam, I buy it there. If it's not, I go to Amazon...and if I suddenly find out about the release of a game I just can't live without, then I may resort to buying a physical copy at GameStop. Most of the time, I'll preorder a game I want through Steam or Amazon. But I have made several impulse buys at GameStop in the past couple years, Pokemon X being one of them. I just couldn't ignore the hype when X and Y came out, I had to be part of that (and it was excellent).

Ahab

Reaction score
I mainly use Steam, so I usually buy them digitally on various websites depending if there's some deal or not. Not gray markets of course because I'd like to support the developers. If I have to buy physical copies I just buy them from Amazon but that rarely happens now.

beastmaster184

Reaction score
Depends on the system either the rock 30 games or the xbox store as i get points in my xbox rewards account to go towards more free games

Liselle

Reaction score
I usually buy the game where it has the best price. I like to have a physical copy of the game so I tend to stay away from Steam. I usually buy the games off Amazon or GameStop. I've rented several games from GameFly to see if I like it or not and brought it directly from their website. However, lately I'm transitioning to buy games off Steam because Steam always have deals on some games. It's nice having a digital collection since I won't lose my games or let them collect dust on my shelf.

Shiori

Reaction score
Almost all of my game purchases in the last couple of years at least are on Steam. The much smaller portion of purchases are for mobile game applications on my phone through the Google Play Store or the Apple Store. I do have Origin installed on my laptop, but I'm not even sure why it's there. I think I was planning to utilize EA's free games offers, but I don't think I've actually gotten anything.

rz3300

Reaction score
Steam is pretty good, but sometimes I am still old school and I will go to the brick and mortar stores. It probably helps them that I happen to live about a block away from a big one, so that might factor into my decision making. Aside from that, if I am really looking for a deal I will do a more general search and see what I can find, but that about covers it.

Casiox

Reaction score
Steam is pretty good, but sometimes I am still old school and I will go to the brick and mortar stores. It probably helps them that I happen to live about a block away from a big one, so that might factor into my decision making. Aside from that, if I am really looking for a deal I will do a more general search and see what I can find, but that about covers it.

Well, seems like we got a lucky one here :D
It would be pretty amazing to live a block away a gaming shop, I mean, I would definitely spend most of my time there, I would also work there if that was the situation, however, I do believe that it has something to do with your decisions, it would be really difficult for anyone to buy games from a store, especially if you live far away from it.

Dowls

Reaction score
Depends on what game I'm looking to buy. I use multiple DRM when it comes to PC as there is often good games and deals not on Steam, Origin tend to host pretty good festive sales where you can pick up old Need For Speed games for as cheap as £2.50. I'll even use G2A and Kinguin however it is a reasonably sketchy business.

As for Console gaming, I always go for the physical copy when possible. That way I have a choice to resell, trade-in or straight up swap it. So I'll tend to use Amazon, Game for new releases and buy off of a local facebook group and gumtree for 2nd hand games.

taco

Reaction score
Does anyone even go to brick an mortar stores anymore!? The best places to get games that I know of are:

Steam (of course duh!)
Itch.io (lots of cool cheap indie games)
gamersgate.com (some new releases especially from Paradox Interactive, but most a just steam keys)
indiegamestand (again cool indie games)

I have yet to find a game that I wanted that I could not find on those sites.

And of course you also have the bundle places like Humble Bundle, Indie Royale, Bundle Stars, etc... which can be a good deal, though a lot of the time most of the games in the bundle are on the rather amateur side.

ad.mike2016

Reaction score
90 percent of the time I buy my games from Gamestop. They have really good prices and have always honored returns if the game doesn't work. I don't have any issues buying second hand games and think it is a waste of money to purchase games from a big box store. I usually end up buying a game I wouldn't have as well since the prices are good and the selection is usually great. I love that aspect as sometimes you will find a gem. I will also look around on Craigslist but you run into the issue of having to be aware of any scams and if the game doesn't work chances are you are not going to get your money back.

mkhl

Reaction score
Almost all of my games are bought from steam. It's just convinient for me to buy stuff while sitting on my butt. I never lose my games and I don't have to deal with piles of discs waiting to be stepped on.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Like the majority I've read, I also tend to buy them online. At least 90% of them. The price is just wayyy lower compared to physical stores. Maybe it's just in my country but the physical store games are always overpriced.

I either wait for special discounts on official shops, like PS4/XBOX (winter sales, summer sales, etc.) or for PC games I like g2play. I also bought some used console games and luckily they all worked fine.

Smokey

Reaction score
I purchase my games at Best Buy. They have this great little program called Gamers Club Unlocked. It's $30 for 2 years and it offers you 20% off new games and 2x points on each purchase. You can then use those points for things like $5 off coupons and when pre-ordering hit titles such as Destiny 2, Call of Duty World War 2, you tend to get the 20% off and an additional $10 coupon for your next purchase. :) It's a GREAT way to save on games! I used to be a member of Gamefly and I would rent my games then purchase them later on cheaper via Gamefly, but doing it this way saves me a lot of money and the games are NEW instead of used. :) Speaking of used games, you get 10% off used titles as well if you must buy pre-owned. :) It's a fantastic deal and probably THE best way to buy games.

contracterboss

Reaction score
I always buy discs.

The main reason why I buy discs is my internet connection is limited to 30GB per month. And another is you can just install from a disc whenever you want unlike steam or any other digital platform where you will have to re-download whole game, and these days size of games is >50 GB, so it takes lot of time to download. And well also its fun to have collection of discs they look cool on my computer disk.

Atropia

Reaction score
I stick to buying all the games I have and play a lot from Steam.

dap1900

Reaction score
I have been buying games on Steam for many occasions. I have never tried Origin, though. Steam is good, there's trading here--so you can trade games with someone you meet on the internet.

Referal

Reaction score
I have been buying games on Steam for many occasions. I have never tried Origin, though. Steam is good, there's trading here--so you can trade games with someone you meet on the internet.
Origin is a great gaming system to use why newer and better by 5 times then steam you should try it.

ulfhedin

Reaction score
I buy most of my games on Steam. Usually I can't afford the games when it first comes out, so I put it on my wish list and wait for it to go on sale. I know by the time I actually play the game, everyone else has played it and moved on. So its OK by me, for I still get to enjoy the game, just a year or two later.

kingrichez

Reaction score
I usually take a look on eBay for game auctions, sometimes you will get great bargains if you time it right. Always buy from sellers who have a high rating and sold many items.