• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

When Gaming becomes an addiction

Joshmoy

Reaction score
It's called growing up lmao. I'm at the same boat; I have work to do and drawing commissions to fill so the days of 6 hour gaming sessions are long gone. I can still play, but maybe for an hour or two for the weekend or something. Other than that, well, earning money is more important than games these days because well, games don't pay the rent.
You just summed it all up in one piece! During your leisure time, which game do you play? I play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

jitendra0341

Reaction score
I think the worst part of gaming addiction is being immobile on your chair for hours. That could lead to serious complications such as cramps, a blocked nerve to your leg, or even a blood clot that could kill you in seconds. I suggest people in this thread to at least stretch their legs and go for walks once every few hours while playing a marathon of games.
Yes,this is good advice.Everyone should follow this as this is also true and applicable for any office goer which job has to sit continuously on the chair.Our body is designed for movement.When we sit,blood flow slowly that makes easier for fatty acids to clog our heart.Leading to greater risk of heart disease.Excess sitting can cause diabetes also.Some more complication may follow such as colon cancer,digestion problem,brain damage,strained neck and shoulders,back problem,swelling ankles and weak bones to osteoporosis.:sweat: so we should walk a little every one hour of sitting,do physical exercise to relax our body.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
For me gaming is just my time killer. My for of entertainment. Playing brings memories, like how i was good back then and sad to say im no longer that good now. I do have seen people that are giving more time to playing games. It was also a reason some of my friends quit school. I guess it's a phase of your life. You know when your done.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
You just summed it all up in one piece! During your leisure time, which game do you play? I play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
I'm in a puzzle game mode currently. I just bought Portals 1 and 2, The Talos Principle on Steam sales and I'm currently downloading them right now. They have insanely high reviews (90+%) so I'm sure I'll enjoy the experience. I also got them incredibly cheap during the sales, with both Portal games just costing a dollar. So even if I don't like them, at least I didn't spend a lot.

jitendra0341

Reaction score
For me gaming is just my time killer. My for of entertainment. Playing brings memories, like how i was good back then and sad to say im no longer that good now. I do have seen people that are giving more time to playing games. It was also a reason some of my friends quit school. I guess it's a phase of your life. You know when your done.
Yes, well said, gaming is surely a time killer activity.It is so addictive than one is unable to get rid of easily when starts to play them.Most of the player were good at early stage and now feeling helpless keeping that pace they had before.It is bad practice to leave school for the sake of playing games.Gaming is a phase of life and we get busy in our professional work and get no time to play.Then we know that we have done our bit of enjoyment in gaming and focus on our career and family.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yes, well said, gaming is surely a time killer activity.It is so addictive than one is unable to get rid of easily when starts to play them.Most of the player were good at early stage and now feeling helpless keeping that pace they had before.It is bad practice to leave school for the sake of playing games.Gaming is a phase of life and we get busy in our professional work and get no time to play.Then we know that we have done our bit of enjoyment in gaming and focus on our career and family.
You ever wonder if people play games hours daily because there's nothing more interesting in their real world at the moment? I mean, when have you chosen gaming over going out with people? I think if given the choice you'd pick the company of others over the company of NPCs in a game. But that's just me though; it's like most gamers who enjoy hours of play time have no better option to choose from in their real life scenarios.

WarVet

Reaction score
I think that, as with everything else, when an activity starts to take the place of other more important activities then it becomes an addiction. If gaming has made you lose important stuff in your life like a job, school or even a person you cared about then most likely you have something to worry about. Still, i consider myself mildly "addicted" to several things in my life and it's no problem at all because I can find time to do what's important.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think that, as with everything else, when an activity starts to take the place of other more important activities then it becomes an addiction. If gaming has made you lose important stuff in your life like a job, school or even a person you cared about then most likely you have something to worry about. Still, i consider myself mildly "addicted" to several things in my life and it's no problem at all because I can find time to do what's important.
When things pick up in a game, whether it's the story or the gameplay, it's hard to look away until you finish it. That's why addiction is such a thing, there's a "sweet spot" in games that you absolutely enjoy a certain game during a certain part; mostly because the game devs have focused on this particular area meaning the stories are more well written, or the gameplay starts to pick up because you gain the ability to use your skills in these levels.

ZXD22

Reaction score
When I was younger I was completely addicting to gaming. I used to be glued to my computer screen for hours, usually 10 in the morning all the way to 11 at night. My parents had for a brief time limited my screen time and hours considerably but they gave up after awhile as it was too much for me to handle lol. Now I barely play an hour or two a day due to work and what not so it's all good.

WarVet

Reaction score
When things pick up in a game, whether it's the story or the gameplay, it's hard to look away until you finish it. That's why addiction is such a thing, there's a "sweet spot" in games that you absolutely enjoy a certain game during a certain part; mostly because the game devs have focused on this particular area meaning the stories are more well written, or the gameplay starts to pick up because you gain the ability to use your skills in these levels.

I believe we all have an "Achilles heel". That one activity or game that is particularly appealing to a certain individual. In that sense playing a video game could just as harmful as indulging in the drinking of smoking, even drug use. Life is all about moderation. Whenever we find ourselves outside that spectrum things become complicated. Take me for example. I drink, smoke and play. But none of those activities keep me from working, spending time with my girlfriend, friends or significant others.

m33kuh

Reaction score
It depends on the individual. I myself, went full retard addict mode on Ragnarok and World of Warcraft when I was in high school. I learned how to cut classes, and sometimes I never go to class. I just went with my friends who were my influence but I can't say that I regret those moments.

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
I've been addicted to several video games when I was in high school and I can safety say it had a lot of impact on my studies. Now that I have work to do and I'm an adult I can limit the time that I spend playing a video game and I can stop anytime, so luckily it don't affects my life. Gaming is still a huge and loved part of my life, but I can control it.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I believe we all have an "Achilles heel". That one activity or game that is particularly appealing to a certain individual. In that sense playing a video game could just as harmful as indulging in the drinking of smoking, even drug use. Life is all about moderation. Whenever we find ourselves outside that spectrum things become complicated. Take me for example. I drink, smoke and play. But none of those activities keep me from working, spending time with my girlfriend, friends or significant others.
True. It's also unhealthy to be sitting down for prolonged periods of time. Take walks every hour or so. Do some stretches. Eat something. Drink water. It's all about moderation and if you really can't help it, at least make sure your body doesn't degrade during the time you've been spending on video games because some effects are long term for the stuff I mentioned.

WarVet

Reaction score
True. It's also unhealthy to be sitting down for prolonged periods of time. Take walks every hour or so. Do some stretches. Eat something. Drink water. It's all about moderation and if you really can't help it, at least make sure your body doesn't degrade during the time you've been spending on video games because some effects are long term for the stuff I mentioned.

Yup, that's true. Moderation is the key to everything in life. Whether you're working or playing or doing other stuff your habits define you. It's good to break the routine as often as possible. Your mind and your body will most likely thank you.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yup, that's true. Moderation is the key to everything in life. Whether you're working or playing or doing other stuff your habits define you. It's good to break the routine as often as possible. Your mind and your body will most likely thank you.
And hey you probably would live longer so you can play even more games with this sort of habit. All about moderation; those guys who die in their chairs playing hours at the PC and not moving an inch (some people even resorted to using diapers so they don't have to leave their chair) would really make you wonder their priorities all for a game. Anyway, something to keep in mind.

clinkguts

Reaction score
Well, I also believe that gaming can become addictive and drain our intellectuals but, I also believe that healthy gaming can give you the much-required adrenaline rush and can even help out in building your intellectual skills. Besides this, a lite and healthy gaming could be a stress reliever

Jack_Dan

Reaction score
Obviously gaming is a big part of my life, but honestly, i'm not going to say that gaming is my addiction. I do love playing games, but I know when to stop. So it's not like I'm going to die without gaming, but definitely, it will be boring if I don't play it all. So playing for 1 or 2 hours daily is okay for just fun and killing time.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I think that we all had our time when we were addicted to games, but we always grow up, our tastes change, we change, that is why this addiction is not a lot bad, I have not meet somebody who don't go out just for playing games, the society change and we all do, that is why everyone has it time to do everything.

castills

Reaction score
Gaming can be very addictive but I don't think that is as bad as the alcohol or cigarettes are. I guess we were all "addicted" to gaming when we were kids, at least a bit. But when you grow up you usually don't have time to be addicted to games, unless it really got you at earlier stages of life and you can't help it.
I'd have to disagree with recent news and my experience. Blue light, which is emitted from all these gadgets are known to negatively affect eyesight and disrupt sleep, which affects focus and mood.
Personally, gaming was an escape as the only kid in the house with middle-aged parents. I had to make up my own hobbies while they can't be active with me. I'd sit for hours on "one more quest", till I realized it was early morning.
I paused gaming for a bit for college work, but still had a few non-immersive games I could play for a limited time, like Hexoscope. I am now glad at all the times I was pulled away by chores, though irked at at the "just pause it and do it later" from Mom.
Moderation is the only way yo curb it, as it is getting harder to completely ditch tech/blue light.
I feel sorry for the very young children given these devices instead of the pen and paper I got when I was bored.
Btw, I'm only 19 and worried.

Clara1993

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you are going to lough at me But I got Addicted to Candy crush Can you imagine :) it's got me addicted to it back in 2012- 2014 I could drop absolutely everything I was was doing to click on my candy crush Sometimes I could even postpone something important to do it later and end up not doing it because I was giving almost all of my time to candy crush lol
So I agree with you any game can be addictive And whenever you notice that just delete it Because you are missing lots of things out there in real world.