• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What's a good starter language?

pandaa

Reaction score
I'd really like to get more into web design, but there's so many languages and I don't even know where to begin. What would you suggest so that I can learn how to make websites and such as quickly as possible? Thank you!

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
I would suggest probably html and php

Fuzed

Reaction score
The most easiest would be HTML and CSS.I can help you out with the HTML.PHP is for those that are good with HTML and Javascript imo.PM Pause for help on PHP.

Scion

Reaction score
yeah i agree with tox thats where i started, and it was a good place to start i just never had the motivation to finish learning it

VirusZero

Reaction score
I would say that it's probably best to start with just HTML and CSS (since they go hand in hand so well). That'll get some basics down then you can very easily built on it from there by incorporating Javascript or Jquery.

PHP probably is not that great to start off with immediately because it is a significant jump up in complexity over HTML. So I do suggest going with HTML first just to get basics down. Though when you're ready and you take time to get used to it, you can do a lot more with PHP than HTML or javascript alone since you can use databases. (You can also use PHP to write HTML too so it's not like by starting with HTML then moving you'll never use it again.)

Melawe

Reaction score
Yep, Toxi is right, HTML is first thing you should learn. I say should because it is the base of the web, you wont be able to create a single webpage with out using HTML, so that is where to start, its actually very easy as well, you just need to spend some time and experiment. You will find Html.net and w3schools.com very helpful.

Azareal

Reaction score
I'd suggest going for HTML first then, moving onto CSS. After that, would come javascript (jQuery is a pretty good option here) then, PHP.

RAND0M1ZER

Reaction score
Of course HTML and CSS are the essential ones (although not really programming languages) but before you start with Rails, PHP, Javascript, etc. I would highly suggest learning a general purpose programming language like C/C++ first. There are some concepts that will be much easier to learn this way that are hidden away with those more high level languages.