• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What would your dream controller be like?

gamergal

Reaction score
Yeah, tell me about the controller of your dreams. What do you think would be its specifications? Both hardware and software? Which types of extra buttons would you like to have on it? Trackball or no trackball? Remove a few "useless" buttons or not? (Useless in the sense that you think that it's useless for you but not for the actual controller itself)

So go on. Predict your dream controller or the controller of your dreams. (*_*)​

mistakenichi

Reaction score
I'm thinking in the shape of a handy trackball, but no ball, just a touchpad for precise needs and a movement sensor as Wii controllers (But no infrared old fashion things); one device for each hand. It must have a trigger and a button (like a space bar but ergonomic) in the back, for Shooter or Racing games (Or clicking while browsing). It should be wireless, with some buttons near from the thumb... Maybe I'm letting something out, this is what came first to my mind.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I am thinking that the Microsoft Xbox One S controller is already the perfect controller! It's bluetooth and you don't even need the adaptor to use on your PC if your PC has bluetooth. Not only that but it works on android phones out of the box with out any kind of software download.

And the batteries last forever which is another huge plus. I have rechargeable batteries and they only need to be charged every 3 or 4 days. And to top it off its very comfortable to hold in your hands.

gamergal

Reaction score
I'm thinking in the shape of a handy trackball, but no ball, just a touchpad for precise needs and a movement sensor as Wii controllers (But no infrared old fashion things); one device for each hand. It must have a trigger and a button (like a space bar but ergonomic) in the back, for Shooter or Racing games (Or clicking while browsing). It should be wireless, with some buttons near from the thumb... Maybe I'm letting something out, this is what came first to my mind.
That's cool. The way you described it all. That'll surely turn out to be a good controller. And about the batteries lasting forever, I don't think that'll be possible, however. But okay, there's no loss in believing, does it? Even if it's not possible, something closer to that may be a possibility. (*_*) Thanks for your comments.
[doublepost=1501404966,1501404838][/doublepost]
I am thinking that the Microsoft Xbox One S controller is already the perfect controller! It's bluetooth and you don't even need the adaptor to use on your PC if your PC has bluetooth. Not only that but it works on android phones out of the box with out any kind of software download.

And the batteries last forever which is another huge plus. I have rechargeable batteries and they only need to be charged every 3 or 4 days. And to top it off its very comfortable to hold in your hands.
Yes, but we'll surely see a better version in future. So that's why I asked what more improvements you may like even if it's not feasible, something closer to that may actually be built. (*_*)

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Well, most modern controllers are pretty good on their own, and I find it hard to imagine any room for improvement. Good grip, wireless, rechargeable battery (with good life), responsive buttons and no freaking fingerprints. Non-slippery joysticks, good d-pad (a lot of them nowadays... just don't click) and easily reachable triggers. You know what would be nice, too? Universal compatibility. A single controller for all consoles would be so nice. Plus, ideally, it should have no input lag, just as a wired controller.
...Yeah, it sounds more like a utopy than a dream.

gamergal

Reaction score
Well, most modern controllers are pretty good on their own, and I find it hard to imagine any room for improvement. Good grip, wireless, rechargeable battery (with good life), responsive buttons and no freaking fingerprints. Non-slippery joysticks, good d-pad (a lot of them nowadays... just don't click) and easily reachable triggers. You know what would be nice, too? Universal compatibility. A single controller for all consoles would be so nice. Plus, ideally, it should have no input lag, just as a wired controller.
...Yeah, it sounds more like a utopy than a dream.
Yeah, that's awesome. Particularly that universal compatibility thing. Buy one and play with it on any console or any platform. That's cool. (*_*)

Thanks for commenting bud! I appreciate it.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Yeah, that's awesome. Particularly that universal compatibility thing. Buy one and play with it on any console or any platform. That's cool. (*_*)

Thanks for commenting bud! I appreciate it.

Thank you for making this thread! It's an interesting question, and it got me thinking. When you say "dream controller" you instantly think of weird, futuristic controllers like the Steam Controller or even the Nintendo 64 one (then, a second later, you realize that placing a joystick right on that spot is not exactly comfortable), but, in the end, you want something that works well. The most basic features are the one you end up needing the most.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I don't have a "dream" controller per se, but it would be nice to have just one universal controller for all games. I'm tired of pausing the game and looking at the button assignments because I don't know where the X Y A B buttons are in a DS4 controller. Can't they just make the same button design and layout for all games? It's far easier that way for both the game devs and players themselves.

gamergal

Reaction score
I don't have a "dream" controller per se, but it would be nice to have just one universal controller for all games. I'm tired of pausing the game and looking at the button assignments because I don't know where the X Y A B buttons are in a DS4 controller. Can't they just make the same button design and layout for all games? It's far easier that way for both the game devs and players themselves.
Yeah, I agree with you, fella. If there's one universal controller with universal compatibility, design, and battery or other power source, then it'll save a lot of time of us gamers who spend time getting accustomed to a new module every time when a new controller is launched. It would be like a master key that can open any locks, but in this case it will not open locks but be compatible with every console with uniform design. And even when it attains universal compatibility, there wouldn't be any need for a uniform design also. Because we could always use it on any platform. So it should at least have universal compatibility, in my opinion. :)

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you, fella. If there's one universal controller with universal compatibility, design, and battery or other power source, then it'll save a lot of time of us gamers who spend time getting accustomed to a new module every time when a new controller is launched. It would be like a master key that can open any locks, but in this case it will not open locks but be compatible with every console with uniform design. And even when it attains universal compatibility, there wouldn't be any need for a uniform design also. Because we could always use it on any platform. So it should at least have universal compatibility, in my opinion. :)
press-x-start-control-issues-10629274.png

I mean look at this. Why do these companies do this? Every controller has to be different. Every button has to be changed in location just so you don't get labeled a copycat. It just makes things a lot more complicated and it really annoys me sometimes. For Windows PC, you gotta know the layout of the Xbox controller since the games in the PC that require a controller would automatically have Xbox's button layout. What if I'm used to the Playstation's layout? What then?

gamergal

Reaction score
View attachment 530
I mean look at this. Why do these companies do this? Every controller has to be different. Every button has to be changed in location just so you don't get labeled a copycat. It just makes things a lot more complicated and it really annoys me sometimes. For Windows PC, you gotta know the layout of the Xbox controller since the games in the PC that require a controller would automatically have Xbox's button layout. What if I'm used to the Playstation's layout? What then?
I guess we can't help it, but hope that maybe one day they'll understand the needs of their true customers, and so they'll consider doing a uniform design on their controllers, at least when it comes to the whole layout of the buttons. And they may consider removing some extra buttons. That's a maybe...

augusta

Reaction score
I love to see a controller that's not rechargeable, that is not slippery but very flexible and in more fancy colour feminine thought.

Referal

Reaction score
my dream controller would be a one that I will have to just use my voice or brain if that's possible and tell him it to go up or down etc