• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What makes a good YouTube game channel, in your opinion?

Lord Sanity

Reaction score
Someone who is very engaging with his audience.
Also shows interest in the game itself and that's not talk over it.
Someone who makes consistent uploads and quality videos.
someone who takes requests under consideration.
As someone who keeps their promise to Their audiences.

Andrei Birla Marian

Reaction score
Anyone saying things like “luck” or to “just make good content” doesn’t understand how YouTube works. There are actual steps you must take to engage with viewers to build an audience, and it’s not something that can be broken down into a few bullet points.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
First, innovation and creativity. Gaming channels are one of the most flooded categories for content creators on YouTube. So standing out from the crowd isn't the easiest. No one wants to see just normal gameplay mixed with boring commentary over and over. Create new types of segments and interesting things worth viewing.

Second would probably be reviewing newly released games, as well as walking through the story mode. This is probably the most time-consuming method towards creating content on your YouTube channel. Generally, however, when a new game is released, I usually tend to search the walkthrough just to watch someone else complete it. Even though it's a spoiler, I enjoy watching someone else complete the game (while providing funny commentary). The brilliant thing about this is you can break it up into parts. So before you know it, you have regular, consistent series of content to upload to YouTube.

Third, interact with your audience. This is a tip I suggest for any YouTube channel in general. Lack of interaction between the content creator and his/her audience creates a gap that can sometimes lead to a decline in viewership. Whether people are leaving good or bad reviews, interaction with your audience is key to showing them you actually give a damn.

Fourth, live streaming. Next to walkthroughs, I thoroughly enjoy watching live stream gaming, especially when a tournament is happening. So begin to schedule weekly live streams. Creates anticipation for that viewer to tune on the specific date.

I'm sure other people have different techniques, but these are the first tips that come to my mind. Hope they help you or anyone else reading this post.

Regards,
Jonathan

camshaq23

Reaction score
A good youtube channel to me is the youtuber has to be good at the game their playing most of the time and has a wicked sense of humor, so us viewers could really enjoy the show.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Just one word: effort. If someone puts effort in what he does, it shows. If he doesn't care at all, if he does it just for the money, for the views... well, it shows as well. This is why I think a plain normal "let's play" is not good for a Youtube channel (unless the youtuber is really, and I mean REALLY good). A good video requires edits, cuts, it needs some montages, something more that can make the video enjoyable and, most important, rewatchable! If you see a video and sometime later you think "I would like to see that video again", then we have a good video and therefore a good Youtuber. If you see a video and you just say "eh, nice" and then forget about it, well... it's forgettable, isn't it? Self-explanatory

Denis_P

Reaction score
To be quite honest, I'm not entirely sure what makes Let's Players such as PewDiePie, Markiplier, or Jacksepticeye (among others) actually stand out. I've always found them to be pretty generic, with the exception of PewDiePie recently who has branched out and sort of been building his own style. I think what made them successful was a combination of multiple factors. Those factors include speaking clearly and constantly without much dead air, a decent and sometimes dark sense of humor, consistently uploading, interacting with fans, and most importantly a whole lot of luck. This doesn't make them unique by any means, but those are the necessary ingredients which make a successful let's player.

As for the male versus female gamer question, in my opinion females always get more attention than males on the internet, simply because to most people finding an attractive female who plays video games on the internet is like finding a unicorn.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
The field is extremely competitive, but I think some indispensable things to succeed are: to have mastery of the content being addressed, to be creative in editing the videos, to have an appropriate place (as if it were a recording studio or something) and to be a friendly person who has a good connection with the audience. :sunglasses:

valy

Reaction score
A good YouTube game channel is tough to create because, you need time, dedication and positive thinking. A good YouTube game channel is when the creator posts very often and interact with his viewers and try to make conversation, create contests with real prizes and is always in touch. Is hard to do this, but not impossible, in fact, if you are dedicated to your work you may succeed to be one of the best on Youtube!

Gladdy

Reaction score
What I look for when it comes to YouTube gaming channel is first of all - what games you play. I feel like if you play a large variety of games and especially try to always play through the recent titles that you will get more viewers than if you focus on only one or two games.

Then, make sure to upload videos often. I love YouTube gaming channels that are very active. I never subscribe or watch the ones that upload a new gameplay video once every two weeks - you have to be able to keep up with the competition which is pretty hard.

Last but not least, try to be interactive and engaging. You don't have to be funny or forcefully make jokes or anything like that but just commentating what happens or what's going through your head makes, us, the viewers feel like you're interactive with us.

Regarding your gender question. I don't think that it matters that much. You just have to prove yourself and that you're ''the real deal''. Don't even worry about the fact that you're a female gamer.

Good luck! :)

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Content quality is a fundamental requirement, and I'm often let down my channel with interesting content but lackluster recording quality. However, it's also important for them to offer stuff I can't find elsewhere, may those be particular formats, points of view and humour. That's why I barely follow channels that only do walkthroughs or Let's Play videos.
Usually, if you can tell that a lot of time has been spent realizing a single video, then that's probably a channel worth following. Poorly edited videos, repetitions and an annoying attitude should all be alarm bells. The script is also a huge giveaway: youtubers worth their name (especially the ones who make analysis or reviews) will all write down what they're going to say or, at least, a list of the points they're going to talk about.

Okaviator

Reaction score
Passion, consistency, and originality. These three points will get you very far in youtube. It also helps if you can find a niche that you excel in. For example, if I've never sang or played the piano, I wouldn't want to make a YouTube channel based around this.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
It's the personality for me, you just gotta have it. I think it's the uplifting/humorous personality that drags me into a youtube gaming channel, while those who don't even do voice overs just bore me to death. I don't want to see someone play the game the way I do, I want to see a twist at how you can make it more enjoyable that it already is. In the end, it all comes down to your personality.

overcast

Reaction score
I think the interaction and the quality of game play makes it a good channel. I don't like how some game players are doing the roasting of others. Some are just being plain old boring. And then there are some of those who are building the youtube channel based on quality. So it all comes down to quality videos.

luispas

Reaction score
For me, everything is about the good editing, I need to watch something that makes me laugh and at the same time I can get shocked. So, the perfect combine would be: good plays and good editing. Also, the player must have personality, I don't want to see someone boring on YouTube.
I hate when people play bad and upload its videos, I get that we all have bad days, but it doesn't last forever, but there are a few that still plat bad, so I don't think they deserve the views.

thart

Reaction score
Of course you should give a good content, video and voice quality and pay attention to not lose much times when you are playing lol.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
A good YouTube game channel is tough to create because, you need time, dedication and positive thinking. A good YouTube game channel is when the creator posts very often and interact with his viewers and try to make conversation, create contests with real prizes and is always in touch. Is hard to do this, but not impossible, in fact, if you are dedicated to your work you may succeed to be one of the best on Youtube!

I think it's harder than creating the channel, it's keeping the channel working properly. Many youtubers start at full strength and slow down over time until the channel no longer exists and ends up "dying". Maybe, the secret to working is to keep the updates always creative and the interactivity with all (if possible) the channel subscribers.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
It depends on the person really, different strokes for different folks. I personally like a guy that doesn't act all weird and over the top, with concise commentary, a nice personality to go along with it and an enjoyable voice. Also, DON'T TALK WHEN THE CUTSCENES ARE ON, that's the only time you should be silent.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
Female gamer / male gamer.

Well, in general, (without trying to be rude), a lot of female gamers like to show of their curves. And that attracts males like crazy. Although, lot of them eventually end up doing something stupid and getting banned.

Now, its up to you which kind of a female gamer you would go for, but if you would just be a general gamer, be genuine, be yourself. Don't force it, don't pretend you like something if you don't and do not scream like a mad monkey for the sillies reasons. It was going fine when Pewdie started, it was even fun watching him, but later on, as he continued doing the same thing, he started forcing it too much. Just because he saw it worked in the past. It took him some time to realize that it would lead him nowhere and his fame would decline over time so he started doing more talking and less playing. I don't follow him that often, but his case was special. After many other youtubers saw his sudden rise, there were so many darn screamers all over the youtube.

Seriously, there is no need for that, just be yourself.

As for the content, it's all up to you. You can play & stream live, you won't be getting that many views as you would on twitch though. So for the videos. You could add different sections. General gameplay with the game in focus and your genuine reactions or comments on certain stuff. You could do reviews as well, have some non gaming content, perhaps a video of you only answering to people and their questions and what not.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Well, based on the most popular Youtube users, I figure you need to be either a good looking female or a male who yells out racial/childish slurs at the screen while playing horror games. Hey, who am I to criticize, those people earn 100x what I earn in a month so what do they care how they get their money? They have a market and they really know how to push their buttons.

Moaz

Reaction score
I believe that the youtuber should not just put some cancer music in the background and hide his face..I believe that the real youtuber should show his/her face, and with his/her voice..otherwise I think that the channel is missing something that is very important.