• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What is the difference between origin and battle.net?

iTommy

Reaction score
Can any one tell me what is the difference between origin and battle.net?
I am checking Diable 3 on battle.net but on origin.com they are also offering this game and need to play via origin. Why that? Are they same company? can anyone explain me?

Thrall

Reaction score
battle.net is Blizzard, Origin is EA. I have no clue why it would be on Origin but I'd suggest just getting on battle.net as Blizzard created the game.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
Origin is for EA games as mentioned. Such as Battlefield, Battlefront (new ones) and a lot of other games.

Battle.net is just the launcher name used for Blizzard which hosts Overwatch, Hearthstone, Diablo etc.

Both are launchers used to buy the games then proceed to play them in individual clients.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Like Thrall said. They are two separate platforms and each belongs to different companies.

Regarding Diablo 3 - where have you seen it on the Origin though? that's not possible. Origin is used for EA games and Diablo 3 was made by Blizzard.

Diablo 3 is only able to be played through battle.net. You can buy a gaming key though and then redeem it in battle.net - might be a bit cheaper.

castills

Reaction score
Origin is like Steam, a library of games. They have cloud storage so you can replay games you uninstalled. You should still need to use Battle Net credentials as the game is by Blizzard. It's basically another launcher for the same game.

If you have problems with your internet or slow speeds, you might want to download directly from Battle Net or disable Origin running in the background. All depends on the price, if any. So many decisions-good luck and have fun!

Denis_P

Reaction score
For starters, are you sure you're not getting two video games confused? Diablo 3 is solely the property of the publisher Blizzard Entertainment and wouldn't be sold by a competing publisher such as EA, which runs Origin. I looked it up now just to make sure, but I'm not getting any results.

In any case, battle.net is the website/service which Blizzard hosts where customers can buy and manage their games developed and sold exclusively by Blizzard. On the other hand, Origin is an application created by the publisher EA which provides basically the same service but only includes titles developed and sold by Electronic Arts.

Smokey

Reaction score
Battle.net is owned by Blizzard Entertainment. Origin is owned by EA. Think of Origin closer to STEAM while Battle.net is a central hub that you have a central Blizzard account to connect their various PC and console games, eg: World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, Overwatch, etc.

iTommy

Reaction score
battle.net is Blizzard, Origin is EA. I have no clue why it would be on Origin but I'd suggest just getting on battle.net as Blizzard created the game.
Thanks I will keep this advice.
Because I searched the game Diable 3 on Google then battle was listed on first position and I think they are official where created this game.

iTommy

Reaction score
Origin is for EA games as mentioned. Such as Battlefield, Battlefront (new ones) and a lot of other games.

Battle.net is just the launcher name used for Blizzard which hosts Overwatch, Hearthstone, Diablo etc.

Both are launchers used to buy the games then proceed to play them in individual clients.
Very detailed, so if I want to buy this game (Diablo 3) should I go with Battle.net, right?

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
Very detailed, so if I want to buy this game (Diablo 3) should I go with Battle.net, right?

Yes. Get a Blizzard account and then download Battle.net to get Diablo 3

Fuzyon

Reaction score
They are both different gaming platform. Origin is owned by EA sports and Battle.net is owned by Blizzard Entertainment. On Origin you can buy games like NFS, Plants vs Zombies, FIFA etc. while on Battle.net you can buy titles such as Hearthstone, Diablo 3, Starcraft II and so on.