• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What is the best voice acting in a videogame?

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
There are bad voice, and there are good voice.
And then there are freaking awesome voice, that are just so awesome that they bring life naturally to the character, you feel like it actually belong to them, you feel their emotions, and you think they might even deserve a gaming Oscar.
The Witcher series has Geralt, with a simply perfect voice.
Far Cry 3 have Vaas, crazy, insane, spectacular.
Portal 2 have everyone. Not a single bad line.
And Max Payne of course, which without the voice wouldn't be the same.

Oh and it doesn't count as a gaming-only voice maybe, but in the various Batman Arkham games Mark Hamills is perfect. He was born to be the joker.

Any other good voice actor/actress?

Matt6868

Premium Member
Premium
Reaction score
Master Cheif in the Halo games always got me.

WarVet

Reaction score
I like a lot every voice acting in the MGS series. David Hayter was awesome (Not that Keith Sutherland was bad). But in my opinion, the best voice acting on the series is Liquid Snake from MGS1. Such a powerful voice.

iTommy

Reaction score
Sniper elite 3 is always giving you best voices
Let try and feeling it.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I really like Gul'Dan in World of Warcraft. He made a reappearance in Warlords of Draenor and he's voiced so expertly. You can hear the torment of his past, the barely contained hatred of basically everything he has just simmering under the surface in everything he says.

lindbergh

Reaction score
I like a lot every voice acting in the MGS series. David Hayter was awesome (Not that Keith Sutherland was bad). But in my opinion, the best voice acting on the series is Liquid Snake from MGS1. Such a powerful voice.
I second the motion. The Metal Gear voice actors did their job pretty well. MGS on the PSX was definitely way ahead for its time. Back then, all voice overs of games sounded very cheesy and awkward. MGS was a ray of shining light and showed that console games could produce quality dialogue and voice overs.

It didn't stop there though, every MGS game produced awesome voice acting. Not only the lead was amazing, even the supporting cast did a wonderful job. Aside from the voice acting, the series also sported awesome soundtracks all throughout. Kudos to Hideo Kojima for giving us such wonderful games.

WarVet

Reaction score
I second the motion. The Metal Gear voice actors did their job pretty well. MGS on the PSX was definitely way ahead for its time. Back then, all voice overs of games sounded very cheesy and awkward. MGS was a ray of shining light and showed that console games could produce quality dialogue and voice overs.

It didn't stop there though, every MGS game produced awesome voice acting. Not only the lead was amazing, even the supporting cast did a wonderful job. Aside from the voice acting, the series also sported awesome soundtracks all throughout. Kudos to Hideo Kojima for giving us such wonderful games.
Oh yes i agree 100%! You seem like you know your MGS. What was your opinion on Phantom Pain? The story was such a let down for me. But the game play was very good and the soundtrack was awesome also.

thart

Reaction score
I would say Clementine, Kenny and Lee in the first Walking Dead games. Clem especially, she could have aesily been an annoying, cloying little sidekick, but she was excellent.

Tania997

Reaction score
GlaDos was amazing. Such an iconic piece of gaming history, and while her voice was modulated, her performance shone through regardless. One of my favorite gaming villains, and her writing and voice-acting are pretty much the sole reasons for that.

The entire Persona 4: Golden (English) voice-cast was also good. I didn't really like the game much, but the writing was amazing and I firmly believe the voice-actors were also a huge contributing factor to me liking the characters. Some of the side characters were a little weak, but the main cast and supporting characters were stellar. Some stand-out performances in particular were Troy Baker as Kanji, Laura Bailey as Rise, and Amanda Winn Lee as Yukiko. I know Yukiko might be a controversial pick as top-tier voice-acting, but I thought Amanda did a great job giving Yukiko a lot of nuances in the way she portrayed her. She definitely sounded like a character who was popular for her looks, but was actually somewhat awkward and a bit of a dork. I thought it was perfect.

lindbergh

Reaction score
Oh yes i agree 100%! You seem like you know your MGS. What was your opinion on Phantom Pain? The story was such a let down for me. But the game play was very good and the soundtrack was awesome also.
Yep, I'm a huge fan of the series. I was hooked since the PSX days. With regards to Phantom Pain, I think it was awesome. It's the most beautiful Metal Gear game in terms of graphics so i loved it.

Oh, wait, hold up, there are two games that I didn't really like though... MGS: Sons of Liberty and Revengeance. I dunno, I can't seem to appreciate games that star Raiden. By the way, I haven't played the handheld iterations of MGS. How do they compare to the console games? Do they also have good voice overs and sound?

Tania997

Reaction score
Yep, I'm a huge fan of the series. I was hooked since the PSX days. With regards to Phantom Pain, I think it was awesome. It's the most beautiful Metal Gear game in terms of graphics so i loved it.

Oh, wait, hold up, there are two games that I didn't really like though... MGS: Sons of Liberty and Revengeance. I dunno, I can't seem to appreciate games that star Raiden. By the way, I haven't played the handheld iterations of MGS. How do they compare to the console games? Do they also have good voice overs and sound?

Big MGS fan over here! I loved almost every game in the series, except the one who starred Raiden a lot. I liked his part in 4, just don't want to play as him the entire game. Snake will always be snake. If by handheld you mean the portable games, I only played Peace Walker and while the boss battles were a little lackluster(Tanks and AIs mostly) and the cutscenes were in a comic-like style, the game's story was amazing nonetheless. You really see the decisions Big Boss will take in the future at the end of the game, and it's a prequel to ground zero and TPP(you obviously already know that :)) The voice acting was also great, even if most people said David Hayter sounds bad in PW.

WarVet

Reaction score

They do indeed! To be quite honest with you MGS portable ops is very mediocre in my opinion. But Peace Walker is a masterpiece! Not only it boasts the usual excellent voice acting but also features beautiful hand drawn cutscenes. And of course, great game play and plot which is a trademark of the MGS series.