• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What Is The Best Resident Evil Game?

lindbergh

Reaction score
Resident Evil is one of the most beloved horror game franchises. It's personally my favorite. I don't mind the so-so story. I love the cheap jump scares and the satisfaction of gunning down loads of zombies. The combination of scares and gun action is perfect.
Resident-Evil-4-Promo-Image-646x325.jpg

The Resident Evil franchise started out as an exclusive for the PS 1. The controls took a lot of getting used to because the games featured "tank" controls which was pretty weird at first for an adventure game. Still, the controls didn't hinder the games from being fun. As technology advanced, the game also adapted and improved it's controls starting with RE4.

It then branched out to become a multi-platform game and is still going strong up to this day. What do you think is the best game in the Resident Evil series?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
If we're talking solely on game time, I've played RE4 more than the other games in the franchise. For a story and gameplay standpoint, I think Code Veronica would be my favorite since it was the "last" classic RE game with the whole fixed camera angles and more puzzle oriented gameplay with limited inventory space. I thought it was great, and it has its appeal, so I'll have that for my pick.

lindbergh

Reaction score
If we're talking solely on game time, I've played RE4 more than the other games in the franchise. For a story and gameplay standpoint, I think Code Veronica would be my favorite since it was the "last" classic RE game with the whole fixed camera angles and more puzzle oriented gameplay with limited inventory space. I thought it was great, and it has its appeal, so I'll have that for my pick.
I only played Code Veronica on an emulator so the experience wasn't too immersive. I loved Resident Evil 3 on the PS1. Running around, evading Nemesis was very suspenseful and thrilling. It was my favorite RE game with a fixed camera angle.

But the best RE game for me would be RE4. It was the first time that the series deviated from the fixed camera angles and the result was amazing. It provided a perfect mix of action, suspense, and scares. Though enemies weren't zombies, they were just as scary because they were pretty intelligent. They knew how to open doors, break glass windows, use ladders and many more. It heightened the tension to levels that previous RE games couldn't achieve.

RE 4 provided a new success formula for the series. It's the best.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I only played Code Veronica on an emulator so the experience wasn't too immersive. I loved Resident Evil 3 on the PS1. Running around, evading Nemesis was very suspenseful and thrilling. It was my favorite RE game with a fixed camera angle.

But the best RE game for me would be RE4. It was the first time that the series deviated from the fixed camera angles and the result was amazing. It provided a perfect mix of action, suspense, and scares. Though enemies weren't zombies, they were just as scary because they were pretty intelligent. They knew how to open doors, break glass windows, use ladders and many more. It heightened the tension to levels that previous RE games couldn't achieve.

RE 4 provided a new success formula for the series. It's the best.
I agree, RE4 had the best formula, but of course they had to overdo it. RE5 and 6 were more Left 4 Dead rather than Resident Evil, while the puzzle aspects of RE was diminishing by RE4. It was basically kill this area boss, get the key that the boss will drop, move on to the next area. The whole gun upgrade thing wasn't great either for me since "survival horror" means getting weapons and items along the way and leaving behind the inferior weapons when you find better ones.

Thrall

Reaction score
I know it's extremely different from all the other RE games, but I just personally loved Resident Evil 7. I loved the story and the huge amount of dread as you're walking down just a simple corridor.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I know it's extremely different from all the other RE games, but I just personally loved Resident Evil 7. I loved the story and the huge amount of dread as you're walking down just a simple corridor.
RE7 was great in terms of the franchise going back to its roots. It had scares, it had ammo starvation, checkpoint starvation, and the boss fights weren't just "get the rocket launcher and one hit kill the boss" type of thing. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I don't think I'll be doing speed runs any time soon.

overcast

Reaction score
In terms of graphics, gameplay and plot? I would go for Resident Evil 4. Earlier games from them were not upto the mark. The reason being the graphics. They had good graphics from RE4. And the things are now much more improved. I can see how their series is going to expand with more story variations.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
Of them all, my favorite Resident Evil game is RE6 because it features a splitscreen gameplay. I also love how the main characters meet at certain points in the story and each perspective is different from the other. I also love the boss battles in the game and I think it would even be harder to play alone.

valy

Reaction score
I have tried all of them because at the beginning I was a fan of the franchise Resident Evil. I think that the best game from all of them is Resident Evil 6 because it gives us the sensation of a hard survival and makes you think twice before to take action. If I'm thinking better I would play a round from this game to experience the thrill and be frightened again.

Craap

Reaction score
Even though I'm not that much of a fan of the Resident Evil series, I still grew up with them and have been playing since the first one came out back in the 90s. Still, I don't know why (And probably some people will hate me for this) somewhere around 2010 I became really addicted to my Xbox 360, and after Resident Evil 5 came out, it was all I could play for 5 months. It was amazing and I don't think I'll ever do it again with another RE game, but it was definitely a fun time. It was the most graphic and fun Resident Evil game so far, not to mention incredible graphics, way ahead of its time. So its RE 5 for me!

Dkaraly

Reaction score
I loved Resident Evil 2 and 3 but that's because I played them when I was little and running around Raccoon city evading and killing zombies was both funny and scary. Every time Nemesis showed up I freaked out, even when I wasn't playing myself. It gave my cousin and I nightmares. Good old times. I like the survival horror aspect of the game more than the shooting.

vinaya

Reaction score
To tell you the truth I have never played resident evil game. I have heard good things about this action packed game, however, I have never tried it myself. I have avoided playing games because I don't like games where I have to kill people, even if they are zombies.I hate zombies, therefore, I will never play Resident Evil.