• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What do you want in next-gen gaming?

Hidden308

Reaction score
What do you want in next-gen gaming?

What advancements do you want? For example, what do you want to see in the next-gen Xbox or Wii?

I'm hoping for more upscale graphics and more in-depth games. Even MMORPGs on a console.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Definitely better graphics, expanded UI with kinect, more memory, and just better games :)

gktime

Reaction score
I think that he means like being able to play older games on newer systems, but we kinda already have that. I would like to say a much better online mode, a lot better graphics, longer games, and cheaper games.

Hidden308

Reaction score
Ah I see. Well we are seeing new sequel to those old games, but not necessarily the old games themselves. I'd like to see another Donkey Kong like the original for Nintendo 64, the RPG one.

Garfiun

Reaction score
I would like to see better graphics but would like better online abilities. Like mmorpgs for that better gaming experience.

Kharyode

Reaction score
That should be more graphics and understandable features..

Sino989

Reaction score
I am typing this in 2017 and next gen consoles have been out for a while. In fact Sony and Microsoft have come out with even newer consoles. I think next gen has definitely lived up to what they claimed it to be.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I hate to be "that guy", but power.

I am a long time gamer. When I first started playing, characters were often just literal squares and levels were other squares with a different color. And I've never lacked that all-coveted immersive experience that has become a driving force in the world of console hardware design. It occurs to me that if squares, and only a little later the very simplistic narratives that characterized the 8 and 16 bit era, could draw me in that novel hardware probably isn't the answer to the immersion problem. Though I do get some limited enjoyment out of things like motion controls, VR headsets, weird peripherals and portability gimmicks, ultimately they are superfluous.

Immersion is the product of novel software development more so than novel hardware development. And what software devs need more than anything is more core power so that they can program the kind of new generation AI that players crave, but which also hogs cycles. We are on the cusp of some really fantastic things, code-wise, but the current generation of hardware is simply too lean to deliver it outside of the PC market.

I do not believe raw power is the first or last word in any gaming conversation, but neither is it a forgone conclusion that it somehow doesn't matter. It does matter, and I would like to see next gen console gaming put peripheral novelty on hold and reinvest that development money and production costs into high end core power.

Last edited:

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I'd say easier access to virtual reality gaming equipment and implementing cross-platform compatibility for online games. It would be really exciting to play Grand Theft Auto Online with players on other consoles. The community would become as one since there would be no more barriers made by console differences.
I remember reading about Minecraft planning to implement cross-platform multiplayer in the future but that would be only for consoles and does not include the PC yet. I'm confident that someday, they will.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Well since we already have VR, might as well improve it further with actual brainwave controls. Just imagine a game where you just lie down on your bed on a VR and let your brain do all the controlling. Sword Art Online in a nutshell basically, minus the toasted brains part once you die in the game that is. Aside from that, a handheld that can be converted into a console gamepad would be nice too.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
Well, I would like to play some old games and to play new games, not a saga or a continuation of any game, because the hype on the games every year is for the new games of the same saga, example: Call of Duty, The Elder Scrolls, Uncharted, Resident Evil, Diablo, Zelda, the Soul saga, and a lot more, I would like to see new games, new stories, more things, not a new adventure from the same characters.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Well, it has been a couple of years now since this post was made but I figure it's still a relevant question. At this point there is only one thing I want out of the next generation of video games and that is good, unique content. We've improved the graphics, textures, and particle effects of video games to the point of photo realism, but what's the point when the content is lacking? No more sequels. No more remakes or reboots. We need to start focusing more on unique stories and innovative gameplay, and not just eye candy.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Ultimate freedom. Not bound by quests or roadblocks or anything that requires you to do something before you can go to a different area. It maximizes the replay value when you can go wherever you want and start your own adventure from scratch. Skyrim did a pretty good job of it but there were still some limitations; Witcher 3 did it too in a way. I want more games like that so you're not just bound by scripts and levels to have fun.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
MMORPG in console would be great.

Have you tried playing Destiny? It's a hybrid between an MMORPG and a shooter that has a lot of fans from both genres. It's not without its criticisms either, but it may help scratch the itch since there isn't so much in the way of true MMORPGs on consoles.

Ultimate freedom. Not bound by quests or roadblocks or anything that requires you to do something before you can go to a different area. It maximizes the replay value when you can go wherever you want and start your own adventure from scratch. Skyrim did a pretty good job of it but there were still some limitations; Witcher 3 did it too in a way. I want more games like that so you're not just bound by scripts and levels to have fun.

This is a big reason why I've been so enthralled with Breath of the Wild. I prefer the narrative themes, and just the sheer amount of things to do that Skyrim provides. But one place Bethesda still hasn't really hit the nail on the head is level progression and how to implement it in an open world game that is supposed to be tailored to a player-driven experience as opposed to a developer driven narrative-on-rails like JRPGs tend to be.

Nintendo hit that nail, and hard with their recent Zelda title. After a small "trainer" zone at the beginning which does an excellent job of training you to perform the chief actions of the game in a pretty organic way, you are set free into a vast world in which you can do literally anything the game provides so long as you have the resourcefulness to pull it off. Some have criticized it for having maybe too little in the way of dungeon content, and I don't necessarily disagree. But what is there is supremely good.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
This is a big reason why I've been so enthralled with Breath of the Wild. I prefer the narrative themes, and just the sheer amount of things to do that Skyrim provides. But one place Bethesda still hasn't really hit the nail on the head is level progression and how to implement it in an open world game that is supposed to be tailored to a player-driven experience as opposed to a developer driven narrative-on-rails like JRPGs tend to be.

Nintendo hit that nail, and hard with their recent Zelda title. After a small "trainer" zone at the beginning which does an excellent job of training you to perform the chief actions of the game in a pretty organic way, you are set free into a vast world in which you can do literally anything the game provides so long as you have the resourcefulness to pull it off. Some have criticized it for having maybe too little in the way of dungeon content, and I don't necessarily disagree. But what is there is supremely good.

Wow that sounds great. Too bad it's exclusive to the Nintendo console, I'd love to play it. There was a copy of an emulator for the PC port running around a few months ago, but I hear it's not that good performance-wise because the port wasn't as good as one would hope. Still, I hope to play it someday, and I think I have a good enough PC to actually run the thing if the day ever comes.