• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What do you think will be the next big game from Valve?

techbeast34

Reaction score
What do you think Valve's next hit will be? Many people are demanding for Half-Life 3, and because of the ending of Portal 2, it's hard to see where Valve will go from there. I'm thinking a Half-Life/Portal crossover, where Freeman's team at the end of HL2 stumbles upon Aperture Laboratories, and meets GLaDOS inside. That would be amazing, but I honestly don't know how it would be explained or what would happen. I'm still betting on HL3 though.

Squigly

Reaction score
Valve will probably pounce on the next popular mod that shows itself, seeing as how it has made CS, L4D and DotA its own.

Until then, most likely HL3. Maybe they would remake DayZ if the current standalone alpha flops.

Shaka

Reaction score
I agree with Squigly, there is a large enough audience gained from Portal, CS and the classic, but outdated HL series, to create a HL3

Although I don't know whether Valve is capable of creating a FPS game to compete with the current next gen games such as COD and Battlefield

Hopefully if they do, fingers crossed we don't have a repeat of Duke Nukem

RadialPerson

Reaction score
I'm thinking they may be doing something in VR gaming, particularly working with the team at Oculus Rift. I wouldn't be surprised if they launch Half Life 3 in the next few years specifically made for VR gaming, though they are probably waiting for the technology to mature a while and get popular before they launch.

Luke Martin

Reaction score
EVeryone hopes Half Life 3. Probably going to be that. Or Left 4 Dead 3.

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
Probably Left 4 Dead 3, as there are screenshots on the web with a L4D2 map recreated in the new Source engine. Needless to say, it looks WAY better, and at least this time Valve won't get any flak for releasing a sequel to a year-old game (like they did with L4D --> L4D2).

Moaz13

Reaction score
Left 4 Dead 3 has had a lot of screenshots and presentations before, we know it's confirmed and coming soon, but that's about it. So there's no guarantee of HL3 ever coming :(

PvtParts

Reaction score
I think they're going to make an original game again. And everyone's gonna love that game. Then, two years after that, they're going to make a sequel to that game.

And then they will never make the third one.

fjellse

Reaction score
I am incredibly excited for Left 4 Dead 3. As Moaz13 mentioned, some material has leaked, so it's being cooked up.

I honestly don't know what we will see next or how Valve decides to introduce new products to the market. One thing we know for sure is that it will tie into the next revision of their engine, Source 2.

Recently, Valve stopped putting custom modes into DOTA2 until they finish making upgrades to the engine. This is huge because they started to integrate Source 2 into the game a few months ago, and the way they presented this information, it seemed like the conversion would be done by the middle of next year.

If Source 2 is far enough along to integrate into a product that has 7 million unique users every month, I think we will start to see some of their next generation games in the relatively near future.

Maybe I am just connecting random dots, but it seems like things are moving forward for them.

PvtParts

Reaction score
What do you mean some material has been leaked? Any sources for that? All I'm seeing on the interwebs is some unconvincing fan art.

But goddamn, if they're moving forward with L4D3, I hope they don't just do L4D2 with different skins and shit. Also, I hope they're gonna expand the world more. There's a great wealth of untapped story-telling in the world they've set up.

PvtParts

Reaction score
Also, I really want to know who fucking Chicago Ted is. It's been 8 years already! Tell us who Chicago Ted is, Valve!
Is he a nerd? Tell me he's a fucking nerd. Because I want to see a nerd kick ass in the zombie apocalypse. Deliver that shit.

Qarnage

Reaction score
I'd be very happy to see L4D3. The second game is one of my most played games. The maps were all truly fantastic and there were some pretty damn awesome campaigns made by the community too (I definitely recommend one called ''Questionable Ethics''). Mods were also really fun to play around with. If the new game is going to have a community that is just as active I'm sure it will be even better than the first two games.

ducklord

Reaction score
Whatever it is, it will surely be "No Half-Life 3". That might even be its official title!

Kidding aside, Valve is invested in both Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality AND the PCs as "gaming machines in the living room", and Half-Life is her most cherished property, so I guess we'll see the first signs of it when she's ready to use it as leverage to expand in those areas.

"Here's a Steam machine, you wouldn't have bought 'cause you already have a console and a PC, but Half-Life 3. For free. With it. Buy."

I'll take two. Or three. :p

Atlas_Hope

Reaction score
It's most likely going to be Left 4 Dead 3, since material leaked from Valve already in regards to it. Not sure why people still insist on talking about Half-Life 3, Valve isn't going to announce it until they're basically right about to release it.

LitoLawless

Reaction score
It's been pretty much confirmed that they are working on Half-Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 . I remember seeing a report on Machinima talking about how they found scripts or something like that. I don't care which one of these comes out first, I'm pretty sure either one is going to be really good. I plan on buying both.

Esharion

Reaction score
as much as it's been joked about, HL3 is essentially confirmed to be in production. coupled with the Source 2 engine, and Valve's long-standing reputation for quality games, its safe to say that whatever Valve makes is going to be pretty good. what worries me is that the community is going to have ridiculously high expectations of whatever Valve will create. granted, we have been waiting for quite a while...but to expect god's gift to gaming won't be entirely reasonable of the community.