• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Video Card

Fuzyon

Reaction score
I currently own a GTX 960m, it's good enough at the moment and it can run pretty much every game on at least medium settings. I do have heat issues at the moment though, I have to get those checked out.

castills

Reaction score
I agree. Laptops for mobility and for office work, but PC still would be needed if you want to run games flawlessly. Laptops overheat which kill a lot of performance; battery life is all but lengthy, and playing with the laptop's keyboard and pad would really be torture for someone who has used the PC, keyboard and mouse setup all his life.

My clunky but faithful Lenovo b50 touch gets alarmingly hot without a cooling fan beneath it. Since I accidentally spilled juice on the keyboard a years ago, I've been more attentive to trying to dust the inside. Not sure how much life is left in it for at least two more years of college, if it'd be worth expanding the ram to help. Integrated "intel" "hd" 3000 has graced me with a number of RPG, MMORPGs, and some FPS games so far.

If only the fan was smaller to bring to school...I've yet to check out thermal paste...

castills

Reaction score
I have a business laptop with integrated "intel" hd" 3000 graphics, and struggled a bit to play games with the lil box heating up under my hands. I got a Cooler Master fan to use it on, than thankfully I haven't experience that heat again.

I managed to invest in a used Opitplex 980, and have yet to connect it to a 1050ti. If only I checked out the cables needed sooner! So far, I've been able to enjoy some games I did on the laptop with its integrated..."intel"..
"hd"...

Pray for the shipping of the cables guys n gals.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
My clunky but faithful Lenovo b50 touch gets alarmingly hot without a cooling fan beneath it. Since I accidentally spilled juice on the keyboard a years ago, I've been more attentive to trying to dust the inside. Not sure how much life is left in it for at least two more years of college, if it'd be worth expanding the ram to help. Integrated "intel" "hd" 3000 has graced me with a number of RPG, MMORPGs, and some FPS games so far.

If only the fan was smaller to bring to school...I've yet to check out thermal paste...
I think you have no choice in the matter. People have used lots of things to avoid the heat from their laptops, but sadly it's just a laptop and of course there's no permanent solution without having to counteract the mobility aspect of it. Still, I'm impressed you took care of it so much through the years. Nothing like taking care of a faithful companion while you are adventuring other worlds in gaming.

ZXD22

Reaction score
I'm also thinking about getting a cooling system for my rig to even further maximize its potential. I'm still on the fence about it though since I don't have heating issues at the moment, and my gaming rig clocks at around 50 to 60 degrees when playing. But still, it would be nice to have an optimized system so you don't have to worry about it overheating or degrading overtime because of heating issues.
So truee. I want to see how much power it has to offer.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
So truee. I want to see how much power it has to offer.
The good cooling systems (water type I hear) are about $100 though, so it's still a large investment to have. For comparison, it's about the same price as a decent sized monitor, or half the price of the graphics card I have purchased recently. But still, it can't be that bad for the price; because for gaming and PC stuff, I always felt like price = quality. Unless it's those Alienware stuff, of course.

ZXD22

Reaction score
The good cooling systems (water type I hear) are about $100 though, so it's still a large investment to have. For comparison, it's about the same price as a decent sized monitor, or half the price of the graphics card I have purchased recently. But still, it can't be that bad for the price; because for gaming and PC stuff, I always felt like price = quality. Unless it's those Alienware stuff, of course.

100$ isn't too bad. I'm just scared they won't be as reliable as reputable closed loop water systems like what Corsair makes for their CPUs, you know the H100i series and what not. Would be more devastating if a leak was to happen on the GPU than the CPU in my opinion. A huge fortune goes down the drain.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
100$ isn't too bad. I'm just scared they won't be as reliable as reputable closed loop water systems like what Corsair makes for their CPUs, you know the H100i series and what not. Would be more devastating if a leak was to happen on the GPU than the CPU in my opinion. A huge fortune goes down the drain.
The $100 one ($137 to be exact) is a Corsair H115i which I read is a pretty decent cooling system. It's the only one available at the shop near me so I don't really have a choice. And since it's a pretty good one from rankings, I figure I'd just stick with it for a starter cooler. When I upgrade the graphics cards and other parts, I'll consider getting a new one and pass the old one down to my brothers' PC.