• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Valkyria Chronicles

Squigly

Reaction score
http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

Has anyone tried this game, be it the recent Steam PC port or on the playstation? I tried the PC port and was very impressed. It is very well optimised, running with no issues at 60 fps / 3920p. Also the gameplay and storyline so far have been stellar, think of anime meets XCOM. I definitely recommend picking this up during the Winter Sale!

Qarnage

Reaction score
I picked it up back when it was released for PS3 and it's honestly one of the best games that the console has. As you said, the storytelling is great and the gameplay is definitely very unique. The only reason I haven't picked up the game yet is because I'm waiting for it to go on sale since I'm a little short on budget at the moment. For all the others: definitely pick up the game if you've got the money, it's worth every penny.

MrHurricane

Reaction score
I am playing it on PC, and enjoying it. I am not a big anime fan, but I like the art style of this game, especially that every character is different and easily distinguishable from others.
I enjoy the battles too, but I find the balance to be a little weird. For example, the lancers' only usefulness is taking out tanks, but their movement is very limited, making it a burden to take them through even small distances, and they can't backfire on an attacking enemy, which makes them reliant on scouts and shocktroopers for defense. Also scouts are very overpowered: almost accurate as a sniper and extra long movement, thus making them ideal for base capping, which is objective for most battles anyway.

Squigly

Reaction score
I am playing it on PC, and enjoying it. I am not a big anime fan, but I like the art style of this game, especially that every character is different and easily distinguishable from others.
I enjoy the battles too, but I find the balance to be a little weird. For example, the lancers' only usefulness is taking out tanks, but their movement is very limited, making it a burden to take them through even small distances, and they can't backfire on an attacking enemy, which makes them reliant on scouts and shocktroopers for defense. Also scouts are very overpowered: almost accurate as a sniper and extra long movement, thus making them ideal for base capping, which is objective for most battles anyway.

You can command the same unit multiple times each turn though. I tend to use several commands to move my lancer up to the desired position. Also Largo is the best lancer since he has a passive which lets him revive should he fall to zero HP, making him a great tank.

MrHurricane

Reaction score
I know that I can move them up to 3 times per turn, I use that mechanic a lot. The problem is, even if I manage to take them up near an enemy tank, they are still very weak, need 3-4 shots in the front or sides of them to kill. Getting behind them is not an option in many cases. I don't know though, which is better? 3 shots with one lancer, or use 1 CP in addition per shot for the Anti Tank Boost order?

Squigly

Reaction score
I know that I can move them up to 3 times per turn, I use that mechanic a lot. The problem is, even if I manage to take them up near an enemy tank, they are still very weak, need 3-4 shots in the front or sides of them to kill. Getting behind them is not an option in many cases. I don't know though, which is better? 3 shots with one lancer, or use 1 CP in addition per shot for the Anti Tank Boost order?

Try your best to get behind them I feel, it's a one hit kill when you hit the engine. Usage of smoke grenades from your tank helps a lot.

lgdg090596

Reaction score
I've tried it for a few hours, then stopped. I didn't really like it that much, but it was okay. I'll try to play it again, see how it goes.