• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Trophies or Achievements

EntropiaAddict

Reaction score
I am curious to find out if anyone plays one system over the other based on trophies vs. achievements, or which point system is preferred and why.

I started earning achievement on the 360 myself, and was well into it when the PS3 released their trophy system. I tend to bounce back and forth between the 2 system now. My Gamerscore on Xbox is 210k and my trophy level on PlayStation is 27, so I play both quite a bit. I find that I still prefer that nice platinum that the PlayStation offers as a way to show off that you completed the base game and wish that the Xbox would come up with something similar. The level system on the PlayStation used to interest me more than a simple Gamerscore, but that stopped being the case when I realized that both amount to the same thing: the higher the level/Gamerscore just means you play a lot of games or boost with people to increase your score.

I currently find myself hooked on the Xbox One (mainly because that is the system my friends picked up), so my PS4 sits around for exclusives only at this point.

AnonLu

Reaction score
I don't obsess over achievements/trophies, but I do enjoy collecting them. I definitely like the PlayStation's setup a lot more than the Xbox's achievements, but I'm on the PC, so it doesn't matter as much to me.

rz3300

Reaction score
Well they are certainly nice to get, but unless they lead to something substantial or unlock a feature or something, I do not really all that excited about them. I guess it is something that you just have to have in a game though. You have to recognize and acknowledge progress somehow, and I suppose that this is a good way to do it. I remember getting excited for them in the very beginning, of gaming in general that is, but it has since dissipated. Thanks for sharing.

rootle

Reaction score
I play on the PC so I don't have any console preference based on achievements. I do like getting as many achievements as I can though. It feels like you're making progress of some sort. Looking back at all the achievements you've earned gives you a sense of satisfaction. Also, while playing it gives you more objectives which makes the overall experience more enjoyable.

fcuco

Reaction score
For certain games, I don't like the way the Xbox 360 used to show you that you have unlocked some achievement, specially if you were in the middle of a FPS game mission or something, I think it was distracting and removed you from the total immersion that playing one of those games provided. I prefer actual in game rewards and challenges, like collecting certain items that are scattered on all levels and require you to reach hard to reach areas or do some puzzle solving.

Scientist Salarian

Reaction score
I like the aesthetics of the PS trophy notification over the Xbox achievement notification. I also like that it pops up in the corner rather than in the center of the screen, because words popping up in the middle of the screen are more distracting than they're worth. I like the trophy notification sound better, too, but that might be because I've heard it more often and have associated it with some of my greatest exploits.

mkhl

Reaction score
They are actually fun to collect. Gives more incentives to play the game just for these achievements. Some actually spend hours just to get these. Bragging rights maybe,