• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Tips on how to teamfight properly

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I usually play Pantheon or Swain top lane, and I feel the need to ask your opinion on how to play team fights. Most of the time I need to sacrifice myself in order for my ADC deal damage and win us the game, and when I don't front line, I either back to safety while my slow teammates suicide one after the other, after one teammate is caught and the other wants to be the hero and save him, which leads to 2/3/4 deaths and loses us the game in a 1v5 scenario, OR I suicide for them, and they either back off and say I'm crazy or "inting". What is the best way to engage, and when it's a good time for engaging? Please make an example team composition and tell me how a good team would work the most effective way.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Try trial and error. Learn through experience. Play the game over and over and not rely on one tactic since that can easily be countered. it's a game of chess and you gotta adjust your game and not do the same thing over and over for different games. Even if it works 50% of the time, that just means you'll be winning one, and then losing one. Just wasting your time at that point since you're not going anywhere.

Gladdy

Reaction score
When I first began playing I got the best advice ever for the solo queue: don't rely on your teammates, ever! It is called solo queue for a reason. You are solo. I know that at some point you do have to team fight but always try to either prolong it or avoid it. Always focus on objectives over team fighting. You can do that by picking champions that push down turrets extremely fast.

It is really, really hard to give you specific advice about team fighting because it always depends on so many things such as: Are you ahead? if, yes how much? if, no how much? what items do you have? what's your build? what's your team comp? what's their team comp? where's the fight occurring and more. Generally speaking, when you play Swain you will have to go into the enemy team anyway... since your ult's range is pretty short and you need to deal AoE dmg to heal back so perhaps build things like Zhonya's that will add some survivability. On Pantheon you can always buy the GA so even if they burst you down, you come back up. If you give me more details then I can advise better :)

Deathisue

Reaction score
That depends a lot of things there is not a single advice that should be taken and be the best of the best, you must take into account your role, the composition of your team, the composition of your enemy and your skill, everything is trial and error and a lot of memorization, but the important thing is to know that you should always improve and accept any criticism in the best way.

tinrmz15

Reaction score
That every person on the team knows what their role and what they are supposed to do. Tanks or support with stun should set up a good stun on the opponent team so that AD carries/ADR, Junglers, and AP heroes can properly kill the opponents. AD Carries and ADR must have good attack strategy especially for the marksman and that they should be at the back of the team so they can free hit and not be the first one killed by the opponent. AP must maximize their painful skills to decrease the life of opponents and be easier to kill by other team mates

luispas

Reaction score
From the things I've done great or bad, I can say that the Junlger, Top or the Support (if it has a engage ability) have to start the team fight, the ADC should always stay in back trying to avoid as much damage as possible. The Mid laner (depending on which champ you're using) should stay in the back with the ADC or helping the Jungler and Top. You could 2 things, 1: One shoot the enemy ADC, 2: Peal your ADC as you said you do.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
When I first began playing I got the best advice ever for the solo queue: don't rely on your teammates, ever! It is called solo queue for a reason. You are solo. I know that at some point you do have to team fight but always try to either prolong it or avoid it. Always focus on objectives over team fighting. You can do that by picking champions that push down turrets extremely fast.

It is really, really hard to give you specific advice about team fighting because it always depends on so many things such as: Are you ahead? if, yes how much? if, no how much? what items do you have? what's your build? what's your team comp? what's their team comp? where's the fight occurring and more. Generally speaking, when you play Swain you will have to go into the enemy team anyway... since your ult's range is pretty short and you need to deal AoE dmg to heal back so perhaps build things like Zhonya's that will add some survivability. On Pantheon you can always buy the GA so even if they burst you down, you come back up. If you give me more details then I can advise better :)
Thanks for all the replies, anyway, yes let's focus on Pantheon since he is my main. Usually, i tend to do this: Get a kill pre-6, since I go flash + ignite, because I have a "teleport" in my champion kit. If I don't get a kill, because let's say I'm facing a tank, then I just farm, until 6, back/roam mid or bot. When I go mid, I usually kill the midlaner, but sometimes that doesn't happen, and I just have to go back top. If I go bot because I see an opportunity, I spend a bit of time bot, enough for the top laner shove the wave and almost kill the turret by the time I'm back top. I try to help my team snowball early but it's hard when they don't follow. Now talking about team fights, if I'm ahead, I go full lethality, ulti into their team, go for the more squishy champions and usually get a kill. If I don't ulti, I just try to engage, but if I get one, my team doesn't follow or just leaves me to die. This happens a lot when I'm behind. Since I'm an assassin, and if I don't have my ultimate, what should be the call? be the frontliner and engage when I see an ADC very close, or wait for teammates to engage?