• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

This War of Mine

Squigly

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this game? It's a really gritty game that explores all the difficult moral choices people have to make during the harsh conditions of war. While there are many war games I think this is the first to really explore the experience of noncombatants caught in the warzone. One of the best games of this year, in my opinion.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282070/

theGIJST

Reaction score
I have tried the game and I can say it's quite good. It is a lot better than I expected it to be, and I expected it to be good. It's kind of a mix between Sims and some war game. I liked scavenging for food and valuable resources, and upgrading my camp so they can survive and live in good conditions. My favorite part was when the winter came, so you had to keep the shelter warm, which is actually quite hard. I don't know how anyone could keep the shelter warm during winter, it's just impossible.

Anyhow, the game is quite good, and it's well worth the price.

MrHurricane

Reaction score
I tried out this game, and I can't play it for really longer periods, as I get a little emotional during gameplay, especially when I manage to get one of my men killed. The game really nailed the depressive feel of war, and the dangers of looting and exploring war-torn battlefields at night, those parts get me a bit scared. My best was around 10-12 days or so until I gave up or got a person killed or running away.

vespid49

Reaction score
I play this game for a couple hours. It's pretty good, but I wouldn't play it for more than a couple hours in one sitting. This is because the game is pretty gritty, like you said, and because it can get a bit emotional at times. If the game did one thing right, it was depicting the bleak environment of war, and the sadness that is associated with it. I recommend this game tentatively only because you might find it depressing.