• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

The New DOOM Is Going To Suck

Spitfire

Head Community Manager
Reaction score
I hate the new doom its not how i imagined how it was going to be. Doom 3 was the best in my opinion. Demonic enemies, jump scares, and just hearing them tear through people's flesh down the hallway and hearing their screams as they die (gets you nervous and scared). Now its just like you are a spartan in Halo and your just ripping through them like they are 6 year olds on COD. I lost all respect for Doom ;(

#RipDoom

Trisha Demilion™

Reaction score
Have you ever played the original Doom?

Doom 3 was not a Doom game in my eyes, and it never will be. You didn't get that run and gun feel, it just sucked. Including in the beginning.

The original Doom was an action-packed run and gun first person shooter where you only had one goal: Kill every demon that crossed your path. And that is what the new Doom is going for.

Major Stern

WH Server Moderator
Reaction score
Too scary anyways I wouldn't notice the difference
freaks

ʞuɐɥ

Reaction score
Why you hating on our battalion? (Its a joke. I'm not stupid)

Dr. Grant

Forum Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok
I hate the new doom its not how i imagined how it was going to be. Doom 3 was the best in my opinion. Demonic enemies, jump scares, and just hearing them tear through people's flesh down the hallway and hearing their screams as they die (gets you nervous and scared). Now its just like you are a spartan in Halo and your just ripping through them like they are 6 year olds on COD. I lost all respect for Doom ;(

#RipDoom
reading this I have to agree the trailer left no room for anything scary like the older ones. Also it did look REALLY easy to kill them making it seem more like a thrilling action game. My favorite was aliens isolation for scary games XD, but that is because I love those movies and immersing myself into them was pretty epic.

Trisha Demilion™

Reaction score
Ok

reading this I have to agree the trailer left no room for anything scary like the older ones. Also it did look REALLY easy to kill them making it seem more like a thrilling action game. My favorite was aliens isolation for scary games XD, but that is because I love those movies and immersing myself into them was pretty epic.

The original Doom wasn't a horror game, like I said it was a run and gun game, Doom 3 turned it into a horror name and kind of disappointed me.

Dr. Grant

Forum Super Moderator
Reaction score
The original Doom wasn't a horror game, like I said it was a run and gun game, Doom 3 turned it into a horror name and kind of disappointed me.
I have to say Doom 3 game was good seeing as I thought it was scary as hell, but I know you are correct Doom was a run and gun game basically on the older systems and stuff, but I guess they wanted that back with the new so in better words. Yeah, this game is going to be more like how Doom was intended to be.

SovietGravy

Reaction score
I loved the old DOOMs I really hope this one will be as good as the old ones :)

Trisha Demilion™

Reaction score
I have to say Doom 3 game was good seeing as I thought it was scary as hell, but I know you are correct Doom was a run and gun game basically on the older systems and stuff, but I guess they wanted that back with the new so in better words. Yeah, this game is going to be more like how Doom was intended to be.

I didn't find it very scary to be honest, but I get what you're saying, people liked the game. :p

Denis_P

Reaction score
So now that it's been out for quite a while and has generally received fantastic reception, any new opinions? I personally am a fan of both Doom 3 and the new Doom but for different reasons. Doom 3 was terrifying and felt like a survival horror game many times. You felt like you could be the victim at any second throughout the whole game. That intensity was fun. The new Doom is fun for other reasons though. Instead of feeling like the victim, you practically have to feel sorry for the demons because you're pretty much the baddest beast in the game!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I thought Doom 3 sucked. I played Doom 2 and it was awesome. You punched monsters to death (well, at least you tried). D3 was terrible, and long time fans agree. The new Doom is much more in tune with the old games, so that's good. It has 90% approval rating in Steam if I recall correctly. I'd buy it myself if not for the fact that I get dizzy with first person games for some reason. I played Doom 2 and it was great, so I have no doubt the new Doom would be above expectations.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
So now that it's been out for quite a while and has generally received fantastic reception, any new opinions? I personally am a fan of both Doom 3 and the new Doom but for different reasons. Doom 3 was terrifying and felt like a survival horror game many times. You felt like you could be the victim at any second throughout the whole game. That intensity was fun. The new Doom is fun for other reasons though. Instead of feeling like the victim, you practically have to feel sorry for the demons because you're pretty much the baddest beast in the game!
I don't get why it's so scary. You have guns and ammo, right? It's a shoot-em-up game from the gameplay footage I've seen. Now Resident Evil 7, THAT is a scary game. You are unarmed the first part of the game and all you can do is hide from the homicidal maniacs that live in the house. Ammo is incredibly rare too and the enemies are very durable, so it's not just a case of shoot them until they die, like Doom games.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I don't get why it's so scary. You have guns and ammo, right? It's a shoot-em-up game from the gameplay footage I've seen. Now Resident Evil 7, THAT is a scary game. You are unarmed the first part of the game and all you can do is hide from the homicidal maniacs that live in the house. Ammo is incredibly rare too and the enemies are very durable, so it's not just a case of shoot them until they die, like Doom games.

I'd say, for me anyway, Doom 3 was scary because of the atmosphere. The new Doom is lit very well and there is practically no mystery to it or any real element of terror besides you fighting demons obviously. The thing with Doom 3 was I would play it alone in a dark room with headphones. So you're in a dark room in real life, and you're in a dimly lit setting in the game, and all of a sudden you start hearing snarling and have no clue where it's coming from. You shoot at the first thing you see, only to miss, and the feeling of panic sets in as this huge demon is closing the distance between you and him. That's what made it intense for me.

I'm also a coward, so that helps.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I'd say, for me anyway, Doom 3 was scary because of the atmosphere. The new Doom is lit very well and there is practically no mystery to it or any real element of terror besides you fighting demons obviously. The thing with Doom 3 was I would play it alone in a dark room with headphones. So you're in a dark room in real life, and you're in a dimly lit setting in the game, and all of a sudden you start hearing snarling and have no clue where it's coming from. You shoot at the first thing you see, only to miss, and the feeling of panic sets in as this huge demon is closing the distance between you and him. That's what made it intense for me.

I'm also a coward, so that helps.
I get your point, but in games I never feel afraid when I have a gun with full ammo. It also helps too if I have armor and checkpoints. Resident Evil 7 was hell in the first area, especially if you are going for the challenge where you can only save THREE TIMES the entire game. I'll never be able to finish that no matter how hard I try.

thart

Reaction score
Yes i have the same opinion too, the old doom was good than this.

WarVet

Reaction score
I get your point, but in games, I never feel afraid when I have a gun with full ammo. It also helps too if I have armor and checkpoints. Resident Evil 7 was hell in the first area, especially if you are going for the challenge where you can only save THREE TIMES the entire game. I'll never be able to finish that no matter how hard I try.

Well, unfortunately, that's what happens with horror franchises. Doom has followed the same path, unfortunately. Speaking of which have you played Amnesia the Dark Descent? If you like being unarmed that's the game for you ;)