• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

The NES best retro console ever?

Olly88

Reaction score
SNES is my favourite console of all time, but NES is definitely right up there. I love platformers and action games and there are loads of them on the NES that are still playable today.... Batman, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Chip n Dale, Little Nemo, Duck Tales, Mega Man, Double Dragon etc, and not forgetting the Mario games of course.

There are actually quite a lot of games that were never released over here in Europe, so it's fun that there are still a lot that I'm still discovering.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I'm not sure to be quite honest. Many would definitely say it is but I don't have as strong of an opinion, because I never got to play it as a kid. It may be a matter of personal opinion, but in terms of retro gaming I feel that the SNES was the real revolution. From the perspective of someone who didn't experience the NES from the very beginning, to me it feels like more of a stepping stone which lead to the main event, which was the SNES.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I'm not sure to be quite honest. Many would definitely say it is but I don't have as strong of an opinion, because I never got to play it as a kid. It may be a matter of personal opinion, but in terms of retro gaming I feel that the SNES was the real revolution. From the perspective of someone who didn't experience the NES from the very beginning, to me it feels like more of a stepping stone which lead to the main event, which was the SNES.
I completely agree with you, Denis. I really can not say that NES is the best retro console when my favorite one was and still is, the SNES. It is just superior in every way - it had better and upgraded games and a way better controller. All of my favorite old games are on SNES.

But I guess everybody will have their favorite retro console based on how much they have played it in their childhood and what memories are tying them to the games.

hermessantos

Reaction score
I personally think it'd the best retro console. I still play mine occasionally for the nostalgia of it, even though I wasn't even born around it's release date.
I agree with you. I have the same opinion!

overcast

Reaction score
SNES classic mini stocks were expensive in my country. Very few set are out there. You can see very few of those stocks would be on ebay too. Not many people kept it and so the demand in the pawn shop for the same is very high. I think NES consoles were good and remained strong for longer time than other consoles in that time.

Yiskah

Reaction score
We got the NES for Christmas when it first came out in the 80's and I love it and do have many fond memory's but I'd have to say the best retro console has to be the '64. I believe the '64 changed the face of gaming for us all! Not to mention all the great games for it! I still find that '64 games beat any console systems out there!

lindbergh

Reaction score
Err, nope. It was a great console during its day and had a lot of awesome games in it like Contra, Battle City, and Street Fighter, but I don't consider it as the best. I believe that it's a close battle between the Super Nintendo, the PlayStation 1 and the PlayStation 2.

These 3 consoles, the SNES, the PS1 and the PS2 had a lot lot more great and genre defining titles. I believe that these deserve to have the title of best console over the NES.

IMO, I think that the PS1 is the console that had the biggest effect in the industry. It had a zillion games in its library and had something to offer to every gamer. The PS1 is the best.