• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Steambox

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Anyone here have a steambox, or interested in buying one?

I like the idea of the steambox, but I don't see how it's going to replace my current PC setup. It seems like something for console gamers looking to enjoy PC only games in a console-style format

zanderlex

Reaction score
I do want one, just another system to add to my huge collection, and it would be a greatw ay to play but I feel the price is way to much for me right now. Maybe sometime next year or when I get a new place I will get one.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
I do want one, just another system to add to my huge collection, and it would be a greatw ay to play but I feel the price is way to much for me right now. Maybe sometime next year or when I get a new place I will get one.
They are pretty pricey. Which is why I'm fine with sticking with my regular PC :p

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
They are pretty pricey. Which is why I'm fine with sticking with my regular PC :p
Indeed!
The price tag for the steam machines which would equate to an average gaming computer is ridiculous. My laptop has better hardware than some of the steam machines xD

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
Pretty pointless if you ask me. Well, not pointless - but why buy a steambox when you can build a computer for the same price.

Bannon

Reaction score
For PC gamers, I think it's pretty redundant especially with home streaming making it possible to stream games to any device that can run Steam. For primarily console gamers though, it's probably exactly what they're looking for if they want to play some PC exclusive titles. It's definitely better to build a proper gaming PC but following the logic of a gaming console, the Steambox fits the bill of a self-contained gaming device that goes into the living room.

Squigly

Reaction score
It's a bit too pricey for my liking. I already own a decent PC rig, I'm much rather spend ~$100 on a Steam Link and a Steam Controller, link it to my PC and start playing. It's literally the same gaming experience without having to splurge on a Steam box/Steam Machine.

Dabstin

Reaction score
Yea same for me. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't think we (already PC users) are the target audience anyway. I really think they're targeting the console audience with this. They already dominate the PC gaming scene, they're trying to subtly convert console gamers into a console-like PC gaming experience I suppose.

Ridge

Reaction score
I've been debating this for awhile now. Just for an easy way to get my massive Steam library playable on my TV.

Squigly

Reaction score
Yea same for me. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't think we (already PC users) are the target audience anyway. I really think they're targeting the console audience with this. They already dominate the PC gaming scene, they're trying to subtly convert console gamers into a console-like PC gaming experience I suppose.
IMO console exclusives are really the biggest factor preventing people from jumping ship. I'm pretty tempted to spend money on an Xbox to play Halo sometimes.

The Steambox does literally nothing to convert console gamers in this regard.

Dabstin

Reaction score
IMO console exclusives are really the biggest factor preventing people from jumping ship. I'm pretty tempted to spend money on an Xbox to play Halo sometimes.

The Steambox does literally nothing to convert console gamers in this regard.
Hmmm.. Yea you're right. Exclusives are the biggest factor, idk how I missed that (Though I'm more interested in the PS4 exclusives). But it does make PC games as easily accessible as console games in the way it's designed. You just turn it on, choose a game, and play. Which I think is part of the appeal of consoles.

AnonLu

Reaction score
A Steam Machine? With SteamOS? No way. Way too little amount of games for me. What's intriguing to me are the Alienware Alpha's and the Syber Vapor's, that run on Windows. One of those would be a great addition for easy, no fuss, "big TV gaming", without having the struggle of cramming all that hardware into a very small form factor case myself.

ulfhedin

Reaction score
I have an Alienware Alpha. I can use it like a game console or like a PC. It is very convenient to have everything in one device. It is my total entertainment system. Games, movies, music, social media, and whatever else I may want to do. I have thought about building my own PC, and I probably will some day.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
It costs too much for what it offers, and I don't care about consoles-wannabe stuff like the Steambox is. And there are few games on it to be really worth it... No thank you.
I would rather build a new gaming PC - after all it's almost time, my little baby is getting old and I can't play anymore the most recent stuff.

Empire

Reaction score
Read about this some time ago and my first thought was, Well nice little device and I like the details and the looks and will I buy one? nope. It's not cheap and the hardware isn't that good to be honest. My 5 year old gaming desktop that I built is more powerful then that regards to high end gaming playing at very high settings. Yet steambox doesn't even do 4K?