• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

SNES Bosses

lamanlupa

Reaction score
The SNES console to me was the greatest videogame console ever designed. It released thousands of titles during its time and was the catalyst for many kids to hone their videgaming skills and maybe the reason why so many of us wanted to become programmers and IT guys. In your mind, who was the most memorable enemy boss that you can remember? Who stands out? Not necessarily the strongest or coolest, but the most memorable? I go for Contra's ultimate boss, the alien... because it looked like a big pair of gonads. Heheheh

Jasmine2015

Reaction score
I don't own a snes but I have an uncle who does. I remember playing paper boy once. Was that a snes game? On our wii we downloaded a contra game but didn't get very far when we had to move and packed it up somewhere. Maybe I should try looking up some snes bosses. I'm only 22 so I don't know how far back the snes goes.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Personally, my choice for the best boss of the SNES era would have to go to Sigma from the Mega Man X series. I wanted to say Bowser at first given that he's a far more famous (infamous?) boss but I didn't find his boss fight in Super Mario World to be all that difficult or memorable. Sigma on the other hand, in all three titles of the Mega Man X series he absolutely whooped my butt the first few times and the battles felt very epic. Once I did manage to defeat him it felt extremely satisfying. He also has really cool designs which are constantly changing so that's a plus as well.

Gladdy

Reaction score
There are quite some memorable bosses in the SNES games but I guess THE most memorable one for me and a real pain in the butt was the last boss in the Super Metroid - Mother Brain. Not only it is creepy and ugly, it is hard. It has several different phases that change her attacks. First one is more based around dodging the electric balls from the security system while breaking the glass box with the brain inside... then the brain gets put onto this creepy body and that's when the real battle begins!

I will never forget you Mother brain.

thart

Reaction score
You need legend of Zelda link to the past. The first Zelda game i played.
street fighter 2 and Mario kart are great fun when playing with friends. I really like the super Star wars games as well.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
The most memorable boss for me was the final boss in Contra. That boss was such a nightmare to fight. Those little scorpion things were a huge hassle for me and I think it took me an hour or more of trial and error just to finish him off. I heard there's an even harder one in Contra 3 but I've never played that before.

ZXD22

Reaction score
By most memorable I'd go with Giygas from Earth Bound. That boss used to give me the creeps when I was younger especially because of the music that gets scarier and scarier as you do more damage to him and how his appearance would look like a "dead fetus". Apparently the creator of the game explained that Giygas' appearance was mapped after a dream he had. The music was what really got me though, especially when he was about to die and has received immortal damage. Never forget a boss like that anytime soon.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
The most memorable boss for me was the final boss in Contra. That boss was such a nightmare to fight. Those little scorpion things were a huge hassle for me and I think it took me an hour or more of trial and error just to finish him off. I heard there's an even harder one in Contra 3 but I've never played that before.
I didn't even finish Contra as a kid. Lots of projectiles flying everywhere even on the first level, I never got past the first couple ones. Given that or play Crash Bandicoot games, I quickly lost interest in Contra games since it's mostly jump shoot dodge jump shoot, while CB was more in line with a kid game with spins, splashes, jumps, and you are in a fairly colorful 3D world that has both challenges and rewards for repetition and dedication.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I didn't even finish Contra as a kid. Lots of projectiles flying everywhere even on the first level, I never got past the first couple ones. Given that or play Crash Bandicoot games, I quickly lost interest in Contra games since it's mostly jump shoot dodge jump shoot, while CB was more in line with a kid game with spins, splashes, jumps, and you are in a fairly colorful 3D world that has both challenges and rewards for repetition and dedication.
I agree, Contra gets pretty dull for modern gamers, I too hated it at the time but it was the only thing I could play before I had the PS1 lmao. Sadly, I've never played Crash Bandicoot on PSOne, what blasphemy I know, although I've always heard about how good it is so I respect its legacy. Might get to play the reboot on PS4 though, as my friend is going to get a copy next week for his PS4.