• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Should I just Skip the Wii U?

fcuco

Reaction score
I am still waiting for the next big Legend of Zelda release to decide whether I should buy a Wii U or not. Let's face it, the Wii U was not very successful so it is probably near the end of its life cycle. Rumors about the next nintendo console are everywhere and it is safe to assume that the new one will be backwards compatible so maybe I could simply skip the Wii U altogether and wait for the next console to play the next Legend of Zelda, how knows? maybe they do a simultaneous console release just like they did with the Twilight princess for both gamecube and Wii so simply skipping this generation is looking better and better. I am strongly believe that it is taking them so long to release the new Zelda because they are seriously considering not releasing it for the Wii U at all.

What do you guys think? Any Wii U owners?

pwarbi

Reaction score
Personally I would skip the Wii U, as like you say the new Nintendo console as been announced now so the Wii U will be starting to wind itself down now.

It was never the most popular console ever made anyway, so you're not missing much to be honest, and unless you can pick one up at a rock bottom price, then I'd save my money if I was you.

fcuco

Reaction score
I guess you are right, the Wii U is really struggling, apart from the latest Mario Kart I can't think of any recent game generating any buzz. You can say that developers never really knew how to create games to take advantage of the weird touch pad controller. At least in terms of games the thing is dead in the water, no recent big Mario title, The Legend of Zelda looking more and more distant, nothing that's turning heads at the moment. I think that the reasonable thing to do is skip this console unless they decide to make the new Zelda a WiiU exclusive with no backwards compatibility on the new console, that would be a bold move to try to inject more life into the WiiU but I don't see nintendo pulling something like that out.

pwarbi

Reaction score
I can see Nintendo putting all their efforts from now on into the new console because while it might not exactly be life or death for Nintendo, I do think they are going to have to make this one work to stand any chance of competing in the future.

The Wii U will continue to be supported as it stands, but I can't see any new developments being made.

Steamroller

Reaction score
Nintendo has the shameful habit of killing off its former consoles when a new one has arrived in the market. I say, hang on until the new console arrives and then make a decision after knowing what the heck Nintendo is going to do with WiiU.

Certainly, WiiU had a more discreet reception unlike say Ps4. But has games that worth it if those fits your liking: Xenoblade X, Bajonetta 2, Splatoon, Star Fox Zero (recent relase), Hyrule warriors etc. Even some curiosities like Pokken.

thefratman

Reaction score
The Wii U as is has a few gems in it's arguably niche market like Xenoblade X, Splatoon, Bayonetta 2 and obviously Smash Bros. Though with the new console supposedly around the corner, I think you could totally hold off on the system.

pwarbi

Reaction score
While I get that the Wii U as some decent games, I just think the time to invest in one as passed by now. The money spent on that, could be saved and put towards the new console instead, and if I was in that position that's what I'd be doing.

Dame6089

Reaction score
I have a Wii U and love it, but I will admit that it is not for everyone. How much do you love Nintendo games? Are you only interested in Zelda? If that is the case, then I would either pass on the Wii U or wait for a crazy sale around Black Friday or the NX's launch. However, if you love Nintendo games, then I would say that the Wii U is a great purchase right now. You will have a ton of great games such as Mario maker, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Smash 4, Twilight Princess HD, Windwaker HD, Splatoon, and Mario Kart 8.

For me, the amount of hours I put into Smash Bros has made the Wii U a worthwhile purchase. But like I said, if you aren't a huge Nintendo fan, you are better off sticking with a PC or the other consoles like Xbox One and PS4. They have better 3rd party experiences easily

fcuco

Reaction score
Mario maker, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Smash 4, Twilight Princess HD, Windwaker HD, Splatoon, and Mario Kart 8.

I am a very huge Nintendo fan since the original NES. Notice how of all the games you mentioned 2 of them are basically remakes and a bunch of sequels, ok, that's not such a huge problem after all every Zelda game is kind of a sequel, but of all the things that you mentioned the only game that appears to be making a huge splash is Mario Maker, it is original and engaging. People are creating awesome stuff with it, I would love that and probably spend hundreds of hours creating levels if I were younger, I am looking for more casual stuff. Mario Kart 8 looked awesome though, they are really trying to breathe new life into the formula.

Tomm89

Reaction score
I have a Wii U and I really enjoy it and play it very often, but I have to agree with the others and say that you should probably wait. I am sure the rumored NX console will be great and the possible backwards capability will give you the best of both worlds. However if you are not on a tight budget feel free to buy one because I think it is totally worth the money, especially if you get a good deal on a used one. There are some really great games such as Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Pokken Tournament, Star Fox Zero, and Super Mario 3D World, but if you don't plan on playing the Wii U a lot then just wait for the next console release.

rz3300

Reaction score
I have not been impressed by the Wii U, and I do think that some of it has to do with my initial disappointment that it was not as big as I thought. When I first heard of it, I thought it was going to have a big screen and really be a step forward, and instead I got quite the opposite. I should have done a little more research, so perhaps it is my fault, but that still plays into my thoughts on it. Thanks for sharing.

gkillian

Reaction score
This is a somewhat interesting thread now that the Wii U is available for post-mortem thoughts.

It's pretty easy to see the Wii U was a sales flop - it had 13 million lifetime sales, which is a bit north of 'unmitigated disaster'. I don't own one, but having read a lot about it while caught up in the Nintendo Switch news, I became more and more aware of why it didn't do so well. For one, the 'magic controller' that all my friends went nuts over was apparently barely functional and often unused. There wasn't a whole ton of third-party support, which might have been a bit of a vicious cycle. For two, I don't think it ever got a true 'killer app'.

My friends and I had this list - which I can't even enumerate for you it was so vague - of games that were 'worth buying a Wii U for'. We couldn't really ever beat three, excluding the party type games for which you only really need one guy in the group to own one. (I have to admit, Mario Maker came very close.)

But if you go back and look at the library, and include some remakes/ports, it's actually got a fairly solid set of 'games that are worth playing', but lacks a truly phenomenal experience. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is apparently considered to be the truest since DKC2, Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are both notable upgrades to their Gamecube/Wii versions, Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles X - just off the top of my head.

I suspect the system may be viewed much like the Gamecube - a deeply flawed, commercial more-or-less-failure, but a platform that nonetheless had some very quality software.

anadrotowski

Reaction score
I feel like if you skip straight to the Nintendo Switch, you won't really be missing anything. Plus, the Switch has mobile capabilities and it's actually really cool.

Mattmattics

Reaction score
If you like Nintendo games then go for it. It's fun to play and great for party games. I'd advise you check out the catalog first but it's worth paying for sure. If you don't want to buy it make friends with someone that has one.

GameCube

Reaction score
There might be the possibility that a lot of games for Wii U won't' be on the Switch, or at least it might take time for them to go to the Switch. In that case, I'd get a Wii U as a 2nd system. Anyway, I find it hard to believe the Wii U is that bad. I mean, look at all the games for it!

Empire

Reaction score
Well I have no choice to skip since I don't have the amount of money to able to do so you know :(

It's up to you if you want to get it or not as we don't force anyone. It comes down to if you really want it or not. Also will it me money well spent

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I would say that if you have the means, get a Wii U!

I'm not going to tell you it was the best thing ever but that dual screen gaming gimmick really had a lot going for it. Plus, there are some high quality games on that console! Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is probably the version you'll want on the Switch, but standard edition on Wii U is cheaper and honestly isn't missing much. Yoshi's Woolly World is great whimsical fun and the first Yoshi sequel to genuinely live up to its pedigree, in my opinion (Plus the music is fantastic!). New Super Mario Bros Wii U is a worthy sequel to the Wii predecessor. Super Mario 3D World is a straight up treat. It takes everything the 3DS' 3D Land title did right and iterates on it superbly. The definitive version of Mario Maker is on Wii U and it's not to be missed.

If you really only can have one, I would go with the Switch since it's the console that is in active development. But again, if you have the means, you're robbing yourself by not picking up a Wii U.

yaorice

Reaction score
I feel like the Switch is versatile enough + will be receiving enough attention from Nintendo to justify buying it over the Wii U. I'm not a huge fan of Mario Kart, but the new one is amazing. Arms is also ridiculously fun, given what I've played of it so far. Not sure if it'll get to Splatoon levels of popularity like I've seen some people predict, but I feel like it should definitely be hot for a while. Plus, the Switch's portability is amazing--I take mine around with me when I'm bored and then just hook it back up to the TV at the end of the day for some Zelda.

Lexi

Reaction score
I skipped the Wii U, the concept was not appealing to me. It looked clunky and odd to me. I'd go with the Switch, the Wii U wasn't so great from what I've heard. I'm sure some liked it, but it wasn't for me.

Eggy216

Reaction score
I personally would like to pick up a Wii U, still. While the Switch is an amazing console, there are so many great games available for the Wii U (Mario Maker featuring at the top of that last) I haven't had the opportunity to play yet despite really wanting to, and unfortunately the game isn't available on the Switch yet. If Nintendo announced a Mario Maker 2 or something for the Switch, then I think I'd just skip.