• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

SEGA Consoles

rayray

Reaction score
Here in Europe, or more specifically for me personally, the UK, the original SEGA consoles did really well since they were a bit more affordable compared to other brands. So when I was a kid I never did own any Nintendo consoles, but I did have both a SEGA Master System and then later a SEGA Mega Drive (known as the Genesis in the US). I really enjoyed some of the platformers like Sonic the Hedgehog, Sparkster, Wiz n' Liz, Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion, Rolo to the Rescue etc. Disney games were surprisingly tough back then too with Aladdin, Lion King, Mickey Mania etc.

I'm sorry to say I never did get a SEGA Saturn or Dreamcast though. By that time I think I had been attracted to Sony's Playstation consoles. It's a shame they had to dissolve their console production...

Anyone else have any SEGA consoles growing up?

Ridge

Reaction score
We all liked it at the time, but I maintain there has never been a good Sonic game. Come at me!

My favorite games on Sega consoles were always Phantasy Star games. I found Phantasy Star 2 amazing at the time, and even put a couple hundred hours into Phantasy Star Online.

joshposh

Reaction score
I was a big sega fan. I had the master system, genesis, sega cd, saturn, and finally the sega dreamcast. I cannot tell you how much money I spent on games. Most of the time I would just buy used games at the local game rental shops because it was affordable. Sadly, sega couldn't keep up with the rival PS1 and PS2. Those 2 systems lead to the demise of both the saturn and dreamcast.

LitoLawless

Reaction score
Growing up my family was all about Nintendo. One day, I decided to be the black sheep and get a Sega Genesis. Everyone looked at me funny, but with games like Sonic The Hedgehog and Streets Of Rage, many of my family members' Super Nintendos started gathering dust.

I also traded in my Nintendo 64 (with a TON of games) for a Sega Dreamcast. The Dreamcast had a pretty short lifespan so I didn't have it for very long before I wanted something new. I had Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Reaver, the Sports 2k games, and some game that involved mechs but I can't remember the name.

Kamarsun1

Reaction score
Here in Europe, or more specifically for me personally, the UK, the original SEGA consoles did really well since they were a bit more affordable compared to other brands. So when I was a kid I never did own any Nintendo consoles, but I did have both a SEGA Master System and then later a SEGA Mega Drive (known as the Genesis in the US). I really enjoyed some of the platformers like Sonic the Hedgehog, Sparkster, Wiz n' Liz, Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion, Rolo to the Rescue etc. Disney games were surprisingly tough back then too with Aladdin, Lion King, Mickey Mania etc.

I'm sorry to say I never did get a SEGA Saturn or Dreamcast though. By that time I think I had been attracted to Sony's Playstation consoles. It's a shame they had to dissolve their console production...

Anyone else have any SEGA consoles growing up?
My cousin had the Saturn, and it had a short run but it wasn't a bad console. I had the Dreamcast and I loved it! I was mad when they stopped making games for it. The first time I played NBA 2k was on the dreamcast.

DMCampos

Reaction score
My dad had a Dreamcast when I was young and that's what first got me into video games, even if the PS2 was the console I ended up playing the most. Because of that, SEGA has always been one of my favorite gaming companies (Yakuza, Shenmue, Bayonetta, Virtua Fighters, so many great games!).

A couple of years ago, I decided to get into retro-gaming and collecting video games. As I researched, I found the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis in the US) to be one of the most popular systems ever here in Portugal. I quickly bought one and I've been enjoying it's awesomeness ever since. Streets of Rage, Sonic, Golden Axe, Comix Zone, so many great games!

So while I haven't grown up with those consoles, they have been a huge part of my "gaming life"!

We all liked it at the time, but I maintain there has never been a good Sonic game. Come at me!

My favorite games on Sega consoles were always Phantasy Star games. I found Phantasy Star 2 amazing at the time, and even put a couple hundred hours into Phantasy Star Online.

Oh, Phantasy Star! The hours I spent with the Phantasy Star Collecting on my Game Boy... Even though I didn't play them on a SEGA console, those are great SEGA games!

GamerPerson

Reaction score
Ah, Genesis. This was a classic system that brings back fond memories to me.

With that system coupled with the Sega Channel, you could get virtually any game that you thought possible back then. Loved the service they offered and you could never get bored with it since you always got new games every month. The first few that comes to mind was ActRaiser and some Disney games. I think I recall a game with Bugs Bunny too, where you had to duck into the holes while trying to avoid the bull from getting you. Can't remember what the name of the was, but I do remember that Daffy kept trying to sabotage you, as well.

Ridge

Reaction score
Oh, Phantasy Star! The hours I spent with the Phantasy Star Collecting on my Game Boy... Even though I didn't play them on a SEGA console, those are great SEGA games!

Yep, I ended up buying that Phantasy Star Collection as well. I end up buying Phantasy Star II every year or 2 it seems. In the last couple years I ended up buying it on IOS and Steam.

Jojo83

Reaction score
The Genesis/Megadrive was a very good machine. It gave the SNES a run for its money. The games are fun and enjoyable, and the graphics were superb for its time. Another advantage for the genesis is that it's a little cheaper than the SNES back then, even the cartridges. Ah, all the fun memories playing when we were kids. The Genesis/Megadrive really holds a place in my heart.

Ramo

Reaction score
I never really got into Sega consoles. The only Sega console I got into was the Game gear and that console was amazing. I remember that the games were really fun and simple (most of them were simple) I think that Game gears really helped Gameboys take off.

beastmaster184

Reaction score
I recently purchased a super trio conslo that plays sega gen and snes and nes games since i did not have a sega console growng up becaue of my mom i use to always go to my friends houses to watch them play and play with them