• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Seems my laptop is melting!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Maybe it's because you played too long and the humidity was too hot, which therefore burned a part of your laptop. Back then I remember having the same problem but with a Desktop computer, turns out I burned my RAM so it refused to boot up. I suggest turning the AC on whenever u play next time, or just play in front of an electric fan and get your laptop a cheap cooling fan that's bang for the buck.
Best part about living in a cold city: free cooling. Even when playing graphics intensive games my rig doesn't even break 50 degrees, so I'm far from the breaking point when it comes to CPU temperature. It also would mean my rig would be alive longer, as high temperatures have been known to erode on the quality of the hardware, making them die a lot faster. It's all about taking advantage of your perks.

Empire

Reaction score
This is why I hate laptops. Too many issues. You can't just stick all the pieces of a PC inside a small container and hope it will be as functional and efficient. Cooling for one, would be a big problem for laptops, especially when you use it for games. I suggest you get it fixed and hopefully a warranty is still in effect; other than that I'd say just switch to PC and have all those problems fade away. Only downside of a PC is mobility, but that can easily be bypassed with careful planning.

He posted this back in 2014 anyway and so this laptop isn't around anymore. And in some case it's just as cheap to buy another laptop then it does to repair, and if you know how to fix it then it will be cheaper but getting hold of parts if it does needs parts is not easy. Also if the motherboard is messed up then RIP.. dead.

My first laptop lasted for 3 to 4 years before it went dead and it turns out it was an hair line cracked motherboard

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
Dam sorry to hear that, this is why you need to get a cooling pad and regularly blow out dust from the vents on a gaming or even a high performance laptop. Maintained my laptop with a cooling pad and seasonal vent dusting, thing lasted me for about 10 years before I decided it was time to retire this machine because it was just too slow compared to the technology out now.

Wow! 10 years is impressive. I respect you because most consumers nowadays are interested in keeping up with the latest device. Rather than maintaining their current machine. Within that, we as a people fail to save and prolong our machines. I for one try and think like you when it comes to preserving my laptop and console devices.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
This is why I hate laptops. Too many issues. You can't just stick all the pieces of a PC inside a small container and hope it will be as functional and efficient. Cooling for one, would be a big problem for laptops, especially when you use it for games. I suggest you get it fixed and hopefully a warranty is still in effect; other than that I'd say just switch to PC and have all those problems fade away. Only downside of a PC is mobility, but that can easily be bypassed with careful planning.

Technically, you can, there are portable PCs out there :)

But yeah, in general, not the best solution. I would rather go with PC for many reasons. The only downside is that you cant just take it with you like you can take laptop unless you aim for those portable ones, although that's a whole new level of PC master race I'm not really into.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Wow! 10 years is impressive. I respect you because most consumers nowadays are interested in keeping up with the latest device. Rather than maintaining their current machine. Within that, we as a people fail to save and prolong our machines. I for one try and think like you when it comes to preserving my laptop and console devices.
Yeah, 10 years of a laptop and it's gonna be incredibly outdated. The years have simply passed it by. I bet the only thing that it could play would be games from the early 2000s like Red Alert 2 or so. I mean, 10 years means he got it in 2007. That's a lot of time to have one and it's probably very cheap on the market now compared to when he got it.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
He posted this back in 2014 anyway and so this laptop isn't around anymore. And in some case it's just as cheap to buy another laptop then it does to repair, and if you know how to fix it then it will be cheaper but getting hold of parts if it does needs parts is not easy. Also if the motherboard is messed up then RIP.. dead.

My first laptop lasted for 3 to 4 years before it went dead and it turns out it was an hair line cracked motherboard
Kinda sucks though that the mentality when trying to repair a laptop is to "just buy a new one" since it costs as much. At least with PC you won't have to replace everything if you have something to change with either damage or trying to upgrade; it's just not worth it in my opinion. You'll just have a bunch of broken laptops at the end of the day like you do with broken phones.

hermessantos

Reaction score
I've had many problems with overheating laptops. Not even the bases with coolers were able to improve the cooling. My opinion is that buying a notebook with a good cooling system is a gamble, unless you understand about notebook engineering.

Empire

Reaction score
Kinda sucks though that the mentality when trying to repair a laptop is to "just buy a new one" since it costs as much. At least with PC you won't have to replace everything if you have something to change with either damage or trying to upgrade; it's just not worth it in my opinion. You'll just have a bunch of broken laptops at the end of the day like you do with broken phones.
That is why I like desktops, if one part goes it's simple to replace and cooler isn't an problem for desktops. You can have any kind of cooling system.

Even if the motherboard goes at least you can replace it and still keep the case GPU, CPU and other things. Not like an laptop

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
That is why I like desktops, if one part goes it's simple to replace and cooler isn't an problem for desktops. You can have any kind of cooling system.

Even if the motherboard goes at least you can replace it and still keep the case GPU, CPU and other things. Not like an laptop
Yup, definitely the more cost-effective choice. It also performs better, so the only upside of a laptop is mobility so if you're on the move a lot and you really need your fill of games, then a laptop does the trick. But if you have a home base to return to on a regular basis, then a PC is the way to go. It has higher ups than downs, and it's gonna be more worth it.

valy

Reaction score
I hate laptops, I had one far ago, and I gave up on It for the same reason. That is why I will never repurchase one and keep my PC for personal use! I am sorry you lost your laptop, and I advise you to buy a Pc because it will last for more, I am sure about this!
I am not saying that you will not have any problems with a PC, but It will surely not die so sudden, and if it does you can replace the broken piece faster!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I hate laptops, I had one far ago, and I gave up on It for the same reason. That is why I will never repurchase one and keep my PC for personal use! I am sorry you lost your laptop, and I advise you to buy a Pc because it will last for more, I am sure about this!
I am not saying that you will not have any problems with a PC, but It will surely not die so sudden, and if it does you can replace the broken piece faster!
Yeah, PC has more ups than downs. Less fragile, more dependable, higher performance. A laptop is just throwing cash down the drain because at any moment, one small slip up, one wrong move, and you're out hundreds - if not thousands of dollars for repairs and replacements of parts. That is, if you don't have to get an entirely new one.

zeedollar

Reaction score
When you are a monster at PC gaming, i always suggest you install an extra fan to help with cooling of you PC to avoid things going south. Handling your PC with care could make the difference of having issues with it. again never use a less powered PC for gaming unless you are just asking for trouble. Put aside some bucks and get a good PC to handle your gaming needs.

john franklin

Reaction score
you should be careful about it and you should not mess with the things yourself. It is better to ask some technician to check your laptop for repairing. It could be the smell of heat sync or the ram and processor.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Oh boy, that sounds pretty bad. To be quite honest I have no idea what the issue could be as I have never experienced or heard of such a problem myself. But in terms of heating issues, I feel your pain, man. The summer heat is reaching its peak and it's an absolutely awful time to be a laptop gamer. When it's 37-40C outside my laptop's GPU will idle at 50C and the CPU at 65C, compared to the 40C I get for both during the winter. Then when I fire up a game, temps sometimes reach 90C and it's freaking awful for the laptop.

Deathisue

Reaction score
If you wont see fire or smoke or weird smell you dont have to worry about, but if you see that indications just buy another pc because your laptop is officially dead, you most have a cooler pad for prevent that kind of problem or just change your thermal paste every year, is easy keep you pc fresh, you have to only follow this indications.

streettallest

Reaction score
This may be as a result of a faulty battery. Was the battery still holding power at 100% before this happened? Another possible reason for this may be that the fan was not working while you were using it.