• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Seems my laptop is melting!

uchenna

Reaction score
So i just tried to power up my laptop and the screen was white and flashing and would go in and out when i would "fold" the laptop screen up and down, i powered it off and tried powering it back on and instantly smelt burning plastic! the bottom got dramatically hot, i powered it back down as soon as i could and removed the power brick, im worried to plug it back in and try it, what shall i do?

Zahreah

Reaction score
Could you tell where the heat was directly coming from?

If it was me, i'd just go balls deep and try it again tbh.

Ace

Reaction score
Voi said:

You were a premature baby weren't you?

Zahreah

Reaction score
Ace said:
Voi said:

You were a premature baby weren't you?

Judging by some people on this forum we all where.

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
True that Voi, Also Uchenna try reading this article and see if it helps.

http://www.howtogeek.com/67660/how-to-diagnose-and-fix-an-overheating-laptop/

uchenna

Reaction score
Damn you voi, i just tried it again.. went "balls deep" and well as soon as i put the power brick in the fan kicked on and the smoke came out!! :O
no more laptop for me:'(

Zahreah

Reaction score
There was no hope for it anyway.
Going "balls deep" allows you to be sure your shits fucked and now you can move on ;)

TheGod

Reaction score
If only I would have done that before my GF broke up with me... Balls deep.

Zahreah

Reaction score
TheGod said:
If only I would have done that before my GF broke up with me... Balls deep.

Trust me, All parties involved will be happy afterwards ^^

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Maybe it's because you played too long and the humidity was too hot, which therefore burned a part of your laptop. Back then I remember having the same problem but with a Desktop computer, turns out I burned my RAM so it refused to boot up. I suggest turning the AC on whenever u play next time, or just play in front of an electric fan and get your laptop a cheap cooling fan that's bang for the buck.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
How long have you had the laptop for? Also, what version of Windows are you on? If it's 10, the actual upgrade may be the issue.

You see, all laptops (generally speaking) have a default energy power management system that directs electricity to the proper places, balancing out your laptop. When the Windows 10 upgrade was implemented, it through off a lot of natural power management systems, ultimately frying certain motherboards, RAM, and hard drives.

Another issue could be proper ventilation. Newer laptops have the fan built in on the side of laptops. Older ones, however, have built-in fans underneath the laptop itself. Which means as the heat escapes, it really has no place to go under the laptop. This can also cause overheating which could ultimately lead to system hardware failure and possibly this "melting" of burning plastic smell you're talking about.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
This post was made on May 27th, 2014. His laptop has probably melted by now or he got a new one :) Although some nice points have been pointed out by Jonathan. There is more to add there, but no point, the topic is really old.

astroroid10293

Reaction score
By seeing it smoke and having the smell of burnt plastic, it must've been hopeless. You probably burnt out a part of the insides. This happened to me as well in the past. I suggest you use a laptop cooling fan to prevent that from happening again.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
By seeing it smoke and having the smell of burnt plastic, it must've been hopeless. You probably burnt out a part of the insides. This happened to me as well in the past. I suggest you use a laptop cooling fan to prevent that from happening again.

When I had heating problems on my old laptop, I just took the plastic cover off. This works great, especially if the plastic covers most of the part underneath the laptop. More space for air to circulate, too, so less heating.

dero56

Reaction score
Dam sorry to hear that, this is why you need to get a cooling pad and regularly blow out dust from the vents on a gaming or even a high performance laptop. Maintained my laptop with a cooling pad and seasonal vent dusting, thing lasted me for about 10 years before I decided it was time to retire this machine because it was just too slow compared to the technology out now.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Good thing about this is you can now shop for a new laptop. Sad part of this is, your thebone who's gonna pay for it.

overcast

Reaction score
If the screen is white then it is likely to be software issue. And in case of black screen things can be possible to have issues with the hardware. So considering what you have described, I definitely think that it is more or less software issue. You may have to show the computer to the nearest service center as that could get it fixed.

Empire

Reaction score
CPU is heating up so badly. If the CPU goes over 95c then R.I.P it will not work at 100% and then fans will go 8000 RPM then ever before. Also it's not an software issue, It's not even loading up the bios for crying out load. If there is load noise and hot heat with smalls of farts then the laptop is had it's day.

Yet that being said I would go into it more and get my tool kit out. open it all up and remove the battery and get to the CPU and even GPU and check where it's hot then work from there.

• CPU over heating and fans not keeping up
  • Dust doesn't help, will block fans from spinning
  • As it get more and more hotter it will go and start malting the plastic, sounds like the CPU is located on the bottom
  • When the CPU gets very HOT! the PC comes on then it automatic goes off.
  • Seems it's not loading the bios then the drive won't be read
Can it be fix? Lets just say that you rather buy an new one.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
CPU is heating up so badly. If the CPU goes over 95c then R.I.P it will not work at 100% and then fans will go 8000 RPM then ever before. Also it's not an software issue, It's not even loading up the bios for crying out load. If there is load noise and hot heat with smalls of farts then the laptop is had it's day.

Yet that being said I would go into it more and get my tool kit out. open it all up and remove the battery and get to the CPU and even GPU and check where it's hot then work from there.

• CPU over heating and fans not keeping up
  • Dust doesn't help, will block fans from spinning
  • As it get more and more hotter it will go and start malting the plastic, sounds like the CPU is located on the bottom
  • When the CPU gets very HOT! the PC comes on then it automatic goes off.
  • Seems it's not loading the bios then the drive won't be read
Can it be fix? Lets just say that you rather buy an new one.

Sure, but he can also do some decent cleaning (some people never do that, which is really bad when you own a laptop), he could check how the thermal paste is applied and possibly apply a new one and monitor the temperatures afterwards. And do not run it at maximum power if it isn't needed.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
This is why I hate laptops. Too many issues. You can't just stick all the pieces of a PC inside a small container and hope it will be as functional and efficient. Cooling for one, would be a big problem for laptops, especially when you use it for games. I suggest you get it fixed and hopefully a warranty is still in effect; other than that I'd say just switch to PC and have all those problems fade away. Only downside of a PC is mobility, but that can easily be bypassed with careful planning.