• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Renting Games vs Buying

GameCube

Reaction score
Some might feel certain games - like certain movies, are just too boring to buy. In other words, you play it once or a few times and you've had enough, or at least you've had enough for say a few months or a year. However, though, there may be some who enjoy the games they've played so much that they'd rather just own them. In my case, if I really enjoy a game, I'd rather buy it. It seems to be a good investment, even if it's over 50 USD.

Ash

Reaction score
I've never rented a game, I only play games I like anyway so I just tend to buy them.

GameCube

Reaction score
If you all think renting is crazy, then imagine the days when kids put in quarters to play. :rolleyes: Can you imagine how much money they threw away - when now 50 bucks will grant you unlimited play? That's insane, tbh.

Pixie06

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't really rent games. I usually buy a game only after having read the reviews and my friends' recommendations. I have kept all my games safely. Sometimes, I borrow games from my friends. If I happen to buy a game which I don't really like then I sell it.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Wait... You can still rent games? :eek:
Yes, you can still rent games here in the United States, having said that you only have a few choices. You have Gamefly which you rent video games in the mail. And then you have Redbox which rents video games from a kiosk and last but not least we have a mom and pop video store where I love that rents video games.

leeyong

Reaction score
Renting games is a good way to test a game and see if it is a good one. There are some rental sites that lets you rent on shorter periods of time which is a good thing to do before buying the full game. It saves you, not only from disappointment, but at the same time, not having tried the game. Some of these sites are Gamefly, Gamerang, Redbox, Game Access and Get Gaming. I've tried these sites and they really help you choose what to buy next.

So in my opinion, if you're interested in a game, try it out by renting first before buying the whole thing. But if it is a favorite series, then buy it directly.

Henrywrites

Reaction score
I think it's all about the choice we decide to make, but I don't have the need to rent games as long as I have a connection towards such game disc. I mean when I notice that a certain game disc such as Call of Duty iii is in the market, I don't see the reason I shouldn't be buying it since we have come to realize that it's been an exciting game to play.

For me, I don't see the rationale behind renting games when I know that I can buy them and enjoy playing them for a long period of time.

Martinsx

Reaction score
I think it was when I was still a teenager that games were rented here. Now nobody prefer to rent any game. Everyone prefer to buy their own games and play as they see fit. This actually affects those that were in the business of renting games as they looked for other means of earning a living.

Gorgoroth

Reaction score
I don't think that renting game directly has been a thing for years (soon decades, I guess), but technically something like PSPlus would be a rental option, since you'll lose access once you stop paying for the Plus subscription.

Personally I wouldn't see it impossible if I could rent a game on Steam for few weeks, but since something like that wouldn't financially make sense to the developer or Valve, I don't see something like this happening. People who will buy the game will you regardless, so there's no incentive to offer rentals anymore.

Zeratul2020

Reaction score
Wait... You can still rent games? :eek:

Lol haha, it's hard to believe but even here in the Philippines, mostly in the provinces, there are still places mostly neighborhood stores or houses which rents out games for $1 a week or less.