• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

RenPy Novel Based Games

overcast

Reaction score
I have found this novel gaming engine. Here you can create novel based games. And so far the IDE looks impressive. Though it's not easy to create games in this format. So you may have to wait and see how to work with it. I have found that if you have some narration level games, then this is a good gaming engine worth checking out.

Have you tried this gaming engine?

https://www.renpy.org/

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Oh, I think I've heard about this engine before. I've seen it mentioned around as the visual novel engine. The fact that it uses Python as its programming language is extremely convenient, given how easy it is to pick up compared to C# or C++ (both commonly used in game development).
I mean, it has its restrictions, but I don't see the point in using a bigger and more complex engine and lose hours of time to figure out simple things when you could just go with specific engines like this one. It's similar to what RPG Maker is, for instance, even though... yeah, visual novels don't leave much room for creativity, do they?

overcast

Reaction score
I think it'd be harder to make Android games. My current focus is android based games. I am not planning for PC games now. But yeah visual novel based games or even the story engine can be enough in that cases. That being said, you can see that such engines can be used in many ways. I guess we have to try it mixing with Unity to see how that would go.