• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Recommended Graphic Programs

Hidden308

Reaction score
Here we will link you to recommend graphic programs you can use to create graphics. Then you can show them off in the Show Off section.

Gimp
Photoshop

You can also recommend more by replying below.

Loven It

Reaction score
I love to use gimp for all my work. I really don't feel like paying for Photoshop even though it probably is better.

TehGamer

Reaction score
If you have money to spend, I recommend Adobe Photoshop. If not, I would recommend a free copy of the latest version of Gimp.

NecroWolf

Reaction score
I have to say GIMP. Once I got used to it it turned out to be quite powerful. Also, there's a portable edition that you can put on a thumb drive and use anywhere you find a computer with a USB port.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
I have to say GIMP. Once I got used to it it turned out to be quite powerful. Also, there's a portable edition that you can put on a thumb drive and use anywhere you find a computer with a USB port.
I use gimp myself. I have photoshop, but I just never got use to it as much as gimp. Very clean, powerful, and has an advance interface.

James

Reaction score
I think I'd recommend Gimp to those who are new to graphic design, but I'd recommend Adobe Photoshop CS6 as a step up. If creating graphics is something you enjoy, you really should spend the money on Photoshop.

HyperActive

Reaction score
I use PS CS5, i'm not that good at graphics, however i enjoy creating some for fun

jayjacinto

Reaction score
I always use Photoshop. But sometimes I need some tools on Corel Photopaint but i dont use it by itself.

dagscot

Reaction score
If you're looking for something that can do everything, then it has to be Adobe's Photoshop. I have Photoshop CS6 and love it. You need some kind of training to get the best out of it but you can find a lot of that on tutorial websites like psd.tutsplus.com and so many others. And checkout youtube. They have tons of tutorials for photoshop there.

Calcified

Reaction score
A couple of recommendations that I could make, other than Photoshop and Gimp, of course:

Corel Painter 2015
Paint tool Sai

I've personally tried both of these as well as Gimp and PS CS6, and I would say that it really depends on your preference and what you're actually gonna use it for.

In my opinion PS is better when you're painting, coloring and if you tend to have a lot of stuff to fix after you finish your line art, since it's the one with the most features for Photo manipulation (it is what it's made for after all).

Sai, I find, is the best at creating line art. It also has a built in line stabilizer so you don't need to download or purchase any additional programs to help you straighten and clean your line art better. It's also pretty decent when it comes to coloring, but is very limited in layering and effects.

Corel Painter is a lot like PS in all respect, I think they even have better built-in or standard brushes for coloring. They also placed a handy-dandy symmetry drawing tool, so it's really easy for you to draw front views of characters, very useful for concept artists and such. :)

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
Gimp is pretty garbage. Unless you're dead broke, then you should be using Photoshop imo.

Midgarosormr

Reaction score
Photoshop is not even ten dollars a month now. You can afford a subscription by just doing the bare minimum amount of effort on a GPT site, like Swagbucks.

The real costs come from supplementary assets: commercial plugins, computer hardware, and --most importantly-- a graphics tablet, preferably WACOM.

It all adds up.

msyukionna

Reaction score
I've used Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator professionally when I was an architect. I find them quite hard to learn. You'll need to get a good teacher for them to get you off the ground, but once you get the hang of it, you can solve / learn other bits and bobs using online tutorials. If you are thinking of a graphic-related career, knowledge in these two programs are pretty much a must in order to be a perspective employee. Even if you do not use it as your main program, you'll need to have some decent knowledge in them.

A couple of recommendations that I could make, other than Photoshop and Gimp, of course:

Corel Painter 2015
Paint tool Sai
I have a friend from architecture who uses Coral Draw for her work. According to her, it's more user-friendly and easier to learn without sacrificing too much on functionality. I haven't heard of GIMP before, but it seems it's getting some positive recommendations. I'll check it out.

Midgarosormr

Reaction score
I've used Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator professionally when I was an architect. I find them quite hard to learn. You'll need to get a good teacher for them to get you off the ground, but once you get the hang of it, you can solve / learn other bits and bobs using online tutorials. If you are thinking of a graphic-related career, knowledge in these two programs are pretty much a must in order to be a perspective employee. Even if you do not use it as your main program, you'll need to have some decent knowledge in them.

I have a friend from architecture who uses Coral Draw for her work. According to her, it's more user-friendly and easier to learn without sacrificing too much on functionality. I haven't heard of GIMP before, but it seems it's getting some positive recommendations. I'll check it out.
Photoshop and Illustrator are pretty much the go-to tools in any design industry, though Alias' and Corel's products can be substituted in most areas.

If you work with 3D, however, compositing in After Affects with assets from Maya or 3DSMax, Photoshop is a must.

msyukionna

Reaction score
Photoshop and Illustrator are pretty much the go-to tools in any design industry, though Alias' and Corel's products can be substituted in most areas.

If you work with 3D, however, compositing in After Affects with assets from Maya or 3DSMax, Photoshop is a must.
My 3D main modelling programs were SketchUp, AutoCAD and Revit. They are all quite building specific but I've seen some amazing models made with SketchUp as it's a lot more versatile. SketchUp is great for concept development and is a quick and easy way to get ideas down on paper, ehem, I mean, screen.

I've also had fun learning 3DMax mainly using it for rendering. I find 3DMax produces the most realistic results in rendering. I've learnt a little bit of Maya but hardly remember anything from it. And you are right, After Effects, Maya and 3DMax all very important professional 3D graphic programs.

Midgarosormr

Reaction score
My 3D main modelling programs were SketchUp, AutoCAD and Revit. They are all quite building specific but I've seen some amazing models made with SketchUp as it's a lot more versatile. SketchUp is great for concept development and is a quick and easy way to get ideas down on paper, ehem, I mean, screen.

I've also had fun learning 3DMax mainly using it for rendering. I find 3DMax produces the most realistic results in rendering. I've learnt a little bit of Maya but hardly remember anything from it. And you are right, After Effects, Maya and 3DMax all very important professional 3D graphic programs.
I'd love to learn 3DS, Maya, and After Effects in depth, but alas, time, cost, and health prevent that. At least for the foreseeable future.

It's a shame: I could create some sick art and designs. :(