• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Opinions on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

topflight

Reaction score
You can't discuss contemporary pc gaming without discussing Steam, the game market place ya know from part-time game developer Valve. Originally designed as a vehicle for downloading patches for Counter-Strike and other titles, Steam has evolved into an incredibly robust store that boasts a deep video game catalog, communication tools, a slick recommendation engine, and movies. Admittedly, Steam has some nagging issues, including slow-moving customer service, but if you game on a PC, it's hard to ignore this Editors' Choice-winning juggernaut. I reviewed Steam on a Windows 10-based computer, but Valve also offers Steam clients for Mac, mobile, and its own Linux-based Steams0S operating system.

Ipa07

Reaction score
You can't discuss contemporary pc gaming without discussing Steam, the game market place ya know from part-time game developer Valve. Originally designed as a vehicle for downloading patches for Counter-Strike and other titles, Steam has evolved into an incredibly robust store that boasts a deep video game catalog, communication tools, a slick recommendation engine, and movies. Admittedly, Steam has some nagging issues, including slow-moving customer service, but if you game on a PC, it's hard to ignore this Editors' Choice-winning juggernaut. I reviewed Steam on a Windows 10-based computer, but Valve also offers Steam clients for Mac, mobile, and its own Linux-based Steams0S operating system.

Yeah I agree. Steam is the best platform for PC gaming and it's really easy to use. I buy all my games on steam.

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
Steam is the best thing that ever happened to me. It's easy to use and I can get every game that I want quickly.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
I believe that Steam is the bast gaming platform so far, it has a lot of games in its store, a lot of great discounts, and it is easy to use. I have also tried unity, origin, and some other platforms but they are all kind of "poor" with the game choice and hard to use, well, harder than Steam at least.

CBL28

Reaction score
Steam, unlike consoles, has a vast amount of free games. Also unlike consoles, most of their games can be modded, while others have workshop.
a lot of great discounts,
Very true. You won't see the actual game companies having mass sales like Steam does.

WarVet

Reaction score
I greatly enjoy Steam. Personally i think it's gaming taken to the next level. The ease of access and cloud storage of your games makes everything so easy and enjoyable. Could not install your game? PC can't run? No problems. Not mention the free games and promotions. Also the market place facilitates the trade of games and other gaming related items with friends. All in all a great software.

valy

Reaction score
Hy, Michael i believe that Steam was the best innovation made ever for gamers. You can buy games from Steam, and you have space where to storage them, and this is awesome for those who buy a lot of games.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think it's great. Lots of indie stuff so the companies who can't afford E3 coverages or commercials, or any form of large scale ads in general, can showcase their game and let players have a take at it. It also removes the physical properties of games for players, so you no longer have to worry about the discs being scratched and having to get another copy. Once you have it, it's yours to keep.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I greatly enjoy Steam. Personally i think it's gaming taken to the next level. The ease of access and cloud storage of your games makes everything so easy and enjoyable. Could not install your game? PC can't run? No problems. Not mention the free games and promotions. Also the market place facilitates the trade of games and other gaming related items with friends. All in all a great software.
The refund system is great too. Game stores in real life would never take used games at full price. At least on Steam, there's a small window of chance you can get full price refund, so you can buy something else with your wallet. It's an amazingly simple yet convenient option especially if you are having buyer's remorse on a game you spent money on.

Sino989

Reaction score
I agree with you. Steam is a great way to buy games because you don't have the worries of owning a disk such as losing it or breaking the disc, so I think steam is great.

ZXD22

Reaction score
I love the ingenuity and how they went along with the concept. Simply brilliant, an online game library in which you can install the games you want and keep others "in the cloud". Makes it a lot easier than to handle a bunch of disks or cartridges like the good old days. Our way of game collecting was those huge binders full of disc holding pages, boy were those a pain in the ***

castills

Reaction score
Steam saves my problem of running out of disk space by having a cloud library. This helps when clearing space, so I don't need to wonder "where did I download or torrent this again?" Very handy as an engineering student, where I need all the space SolidWorks wants to hog up!

It does have quirks like frequent updates, but at least it isn't mandatory like Windows, just a few minutes on startup. Perhaps it stretched too far with its music player, which is clunky to use, as well as its mobile app's chat slow speed.

Still, it's a gaming hub I enjoy and have lived on for a few years.

Lexi

Reaction score
Steam is amazing, they have great sales and a huge selection of games. If something happens to your PC it doesn't matter because you can just reinstall in another one. They even have plenty of indie games and exclusives you don't get anywhere else. For me, it's the best alternative for PC gaming.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Best online gaming store by far. It's not just about the library and prices (and even then it would be hard to find suitable competitors), it's about all the services it offers. The Workshop is a great and quick way to implement modding (even more so than Nexus Mod, maybe), the refund system has proven to be extremely convenient, and we also got many more important functionalities like cloud saving.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I love CDs and nothing will ever change my love for them, but I do think that online stores like Steam are much more convenient. Getting games at the comforts of your home, having a community to know what the game is like for those who purchased it, and buying games at such low prices that even physical stores can't compete with you. The only downside is that you don't get a physical box of which you can view as a collector's item.

WarVet

Reaction score
I love CDs and nothing will ever change my love for them, but I do think that online stores like Steam are much more convenient. Getting games at the comforts of your home, having a community to know what the game is like for those who purchased it, and buying games at such low prices that even physical stores can't compete with you. The only downside is that you don't get a physical box of which you can view as a collector's item.
Still, with all these benefits you still prefer the physical thing? I guess you're one of those people that prefer to have the actual book instead of the digital copy yes? Personally, i prefer everything digital. I am a messy person and I lose my stuff easily. Whenever I buy physical media it tends to disappear. Now with only digital copies, there is never that problem.

Tania997

Reaction score
Steam is an excellent concept. They have a lot of free games, crazy discounts, they make you forget that piracy exists because the games are really a steal there with the discounts. You have the benefit of having a digital library also, you don't have problems like losing or scratching CDs, because you can just reinstall steam even if your old computer burns and all your games will be there. The community in most games isn't bad, and you can have fun with a lot of people. Steam is PC Gaming, it would be really hard to play without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.